main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If Michael Bay directed Up (you gotta watch through to the end):

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It's been so long since I played the earlier games, but did they get the accents right for the Borgia? I remember Ezio himself sounded right, but... I don't remember the voices of any of the others.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is this accent, at 1:25, acceptable?

Gorefiend likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Are you implying Blackadder is not a realistic representation of Napolean?! Wash your mouth out, sir!!!!

Gamiel, Sinrebirth and Gorefiend like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    All the accents were rather exaggerated and sounded a lot more like Italian-Americans in New York than actual Italians speaking English -- though I think the VAs actually were Italian and were just told to make it sound more familiar.

Game's more fun in actual Italian. Wish there were a way to have the real world bits in English and the Animus bits in subtitled Italian. Instead, you have to switch manually. Boo.

Italian is such a lovely language.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But were not the Borgia originally from Spain?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Indeed so, but the entire population of Florence, Venice, and Roma aren't all Borgias.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know but I though you manly answered @Zorrixor's question.

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Asked to make it sound more Italian-American than an actual Italian speaking English as a foreign language...?

Kinda depressing if they felt they needed to do that. [face_sigh]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    A fine example of Hollywood logic, though. Another: Angelina Jolie in Alexander; "OK, so she was Greek, but was also into that whole barbarian snake thing. So... Dracula accent!"

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Their love was eternally explosive.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, it's silly -- that's why the whole Mario joke thing worked in the first place, given how Brooklyn the accents felt.

Of course on the other hand, the English-speaking Italians I know tend to speak with a very British accent since the Received Pronunciation is still largely the type of English taught on the Continent.

The exception being, of course, French English-speakers because the French would be damned before they spoke anything with a British accent. Bringing us back full circle to AC5 -- Frenchmen, especially Parisians, would deliberately have a very Gallic accent just to avoid sounding like an Englishman, even if their English was 100% fluent.

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, the French almost never use English. If there's a news report, and they're interviewing a bunch of people in Europe, most will use English, but you can always count on the French interviewee to stick to French, so you're right, making the French characters sound English is... probably going to come across jarring after the decent-enough job in previous games.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ulicus

So, it's only a couple days left to get Project Eternity at the reduced pledge price. It's apparently an extra $25 to get into the backer beta, so screw that. But I can still pledge in time to get the basic game or whatever (since apparently I didn't do so when it was on kickstarter) -- based on all you've heard and such, is it worthy?

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Some were Italian but a lot weren't. Most weren't. They use a lot of American and Canadian VAs who are just really talented. Fred Tatasciore, for example, is Abu'l Nuqoud, Jubair, Mario, and Nicholas Biddle. Harry Standjofski is William of Montferrat, Silvio Barbarigo, Juan Borgia, Benjamin Church, and Godfrey lumberjack. Alex Ivanovici is Lorenzo, Bartolomeo, Savanarola, Piri Reis, Dr. White, Rafael Joaquin de Ferrer from Liberation, and Julien du Casse. Anyway I don't think the accents were too exaggerated but, yeah, everyone's been speaking in the correct accent in every previous game and this departure now is silly and stupid.

17. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    GrandAdmiralJello

So I saw Tangled and Frozen the other day.......
    Both were pleasant surprises.

I feel this would have solve much of the plot of the latter.

(Apologies if this has already been mention before)

18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    In Marvel news, Mockingbird has been cast for Agents of Shield.
    [​IMG]

Those nerds in the audience (like me) will recognize her as both Lady Jaye in the new GI Joe movie and Wonder Woman in the failed "Pants to Be Darkened" TV pilot.

19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I quote Pabbie's words from that a lot when I watch Frozen. I like that there's a wise old Whill Troll who apparently knows everything but nobody asks him proper questions.

"A true love's deed you say? Say no more, I got this, I've seen Disney films, time for some lippy-lippy action."

20. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

I thought Anna and Rapunzel were adorable, likable, and down to earth protagonists. If there is a sequel I hope it focuses on Elsa.....I wonder how she got her powers in the first place.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Born with them, according to her father.

22. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

I look forward to seeing her join the Avengers. ;)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Hey like, is there a setting to block everything related to Frozen? Because it's a ******* Disney movie from a year ago and I'm sorry but oh my sweet lord is there NO impulse whatsoever to maybe tone it down at this point? Like, I can't even look for anti-Frozen memes to reply with, because it's all a bunch of humorless neofascists talking about how racist they think it is. I feel truly alone in that the only frozen things I want to hear about are Han and lemonade.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    M S: about time! Glad you enjoyed them, though.

PC: yes, that setting is "turn off your computer" :p

The idea of people blocking things except what they want to hear is one of the most troubling things about this generation that expects the entire world to cater to them and them alone.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think the X-men are more likely

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.