main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should we just stop referring to it as the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sith_rising, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I feel the new stuff shouldn't be called "NEU," because really, it isn't. The EU was from 1978 to 2014. It's now done and won't be changing. Embalmed. The new books, comics, etc. aren't in the same position as as the EU. They are definitely canon, at the same level as TCW and the movies. Not like the EU, with its lower level. So they really aren't a new EU.

I know CooperTFN had a poll on Eleven-ThirtyEight about this. What were the results?

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "NEU" wasn't technically an option, but it was basically a draw between EU / Canon (my preference) and EU / NU.

Ordo Skirata likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's fine, because I blame Havac. So by transference, it's all his fault.

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    You guys take this canon stuff WAY too seriously..at least now they will apply some QA and not let ridiculous stuff like the Yuuzhan vong or emperor dolph lundgren clones.

Also there has to be a limit,EVERYTHING cannot be "canon"..not the SW lego series and games and stuff off that nature .
    Also theres the thing where a game developer with a really cool idea have to take "canon" into consideration so they cant make it.

All and in short "Canon" needs to go away and die.
    Its stupid,pedantic,pretentious and only serves for arguments among OCD fans.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hi, welcome to Lit.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I want an off-hand mention from the beginning of the nineties to direct the way the history of the Core is ever described because it was the first one to mention it!

Also Star Tours and my Jar Jar coloring book have to be canon.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Don't laugh, Ben, he has a point... at least with QA there won't be any ridiculous stuff anymore, like magic fantasy worlds hidden inside giant spaceships ruled by shapeshifting gods... wait, my bad, Mortis is still canon.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Someone needs to let FFG know. :p

10. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah, but Denning's interpretation of it isn't. :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    hi jolly ol chap:)

Edit: I didnt mean to come of as harsh,but you only get so far with patience listening to people arguing the canonocity of the star wars 87 sticker book versus the 89 one...(ok there probably wasnt one...was it? but you catch my drift)

12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Please permit me to associate myself with this position (a.k.a. "this").

I always thought the canon levels simply meant that if the movies and the books contradict each other, what you see in the movies is right. Not a declaration that they reserved the right to bulldoze the books, so much as a ranking system to deal with all the little inconsistencies and contradictions that inevitably are going to pop up in a universe that large and with that many writers. "We're not TRYING to make these things incompatible, we're just realistic enough to know there are going to be flaws, and this is how you sort them out" kind of thing.

Which really wasn't an unreasonable thing to assume, given how insistent Lucas was on making sure the authors avoid the prequel era or at least wait until his movies had started blazing the trail to make sure they weren't contradicted. Wasn't until TCW that it became clear that no, he really was fine with overwriting everything.

Abadacus, Valin__Kenobi and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Also, related: is there any plan to separate the boards into LEU and NEU, like how the movies are separated between original and prequel?

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "He really is fine with overwriting everything" is my point, but I think it started with the PT, as he didn't really care if it was consistent with the OT as long as he (or someone) could come up with a long convoluted explanation as to why it really is consistent "from a certain point of view". The pre-PT novels he definitely didn't care about.

I think having the writers communicate with each other would eliminate a need for the Alphabet-Soup Canon System, and if there were too many writers in too vast a universe to do that--unless Disney is planning to shrink the galaxy to fit inside a Death Star with mouse ears, which would suck, I don't think that problem is going away.

Abadacus likes this.
  15. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It would be a good idea to just ditch the EU forums completely, and just have forums for the 3 film trilogies, novels & books, comics, games, collecting, and TV shows. All of it, of course, being the new canon. Keeping the old EU literature thread around is just like pouring salt on an open wound. Time to move on.

16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Well, really, that inconsistency started in the OT, as your choice of phrase shows. Darth Vader was probably not originally meant to be Luke's father, nor Leia meant to end up with Han, back when ANH was written - it was thrown in to make ESB interesting, leaving poor ROTJ to become the franchise's first piece of fix-fic, which it did about as well as it could.

But that's not the same thing as "overwriting" in the way we're talking about - with, say, Barris in TCW vs the books. That's more like if ESB had come out and said that the Death Star didn't actually explode, or Obi-Wan wasn't actually killed, or that Leia actually wasn't rescued. Did the prequels ever do anything that blatant to the OT?

Vthuil and CooperTFN like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia's description of her "real mother" in the OT is a little hard to explain with her dying a minute or so after Leia's birth.

"She died when I was very young... She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad."

18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    The NEU or however it's called would go onto new boards I'd say, I mean it's not expanding on anything. It's officially apart of the DisneyUniverse that's being built up. This board should remain for the discussion of this Expanded Universe. Just because it's over doesn't mean the discussions about it are. Are the PT and OT sections taken down just because there's no OT/PT movies anymore? To many, including myself, this EU is the true continuation of the Star Wars Timeline and not whatever Universe Disney will make.

19. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd completely forgotten about FFG. I guess them and SWTOR will be the last things that are still adding to the EU.

Anyway, back toward the subject, this is what the Official Star Wars books facebook page had to say about it:
    [​IMG]

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

On the flipside, in ESB Yoda flat-out says "through the Force, things you will see, other places, the future, the past, old friends long gone" so there is a precedent for visions in the series, especially when it comes to members of the Skywalker bloodline. I've never thought Leia's ROTJ speech really broke the continuity of the PT to OT. Maybe bent it slightly. But I think the dramatic payoff of Luke and Leia's birth with Padme's death (combined with Anakin's death / Vader's birth, etc.) works well enough that you can give Lucas a pass on that one.

kubricklynch likes this.
  21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh give me a break, what exactly was the point to the last 38 years of Star Wars material if so much of it wasn't the real story? If most of it wasn't the real story then LFL marketing has been lying to us since at least 1991.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Um, no.

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_rofl]

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    There should also be bans on people who try talking about the old books, or large fines. Maybe public floggings of people who openly admit to reading Heir To The Empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.