main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

That doesn't seem to be a long-term method of holding Obi-Wan though, just like being imprisoned in Jabba's Palace, or tortured on Cloud City wouldn't be a long-term method. I agree being captured for thirty years is ridiculous, but it's so because unless they go all out and freeze him in some form, there are numerous ways for Luke to escape. In terms of being in shape, my point was that unless you again do the above and completely restrict his movement for 30 years, he can still be fairly active depending on the conditions he's being kept in. It's a common thing for prisoners to do just fine in jail and come out being fairly fit.

2. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    So he'll be fairly fit despite his body is kept in constant restraints ? I'm not arguing that it's not common for prisoners to be fit, but seeing as this is the GFFA, I don't see Luke being kept in a "regular" cell like the Death Star's detention center or Jabba's Palace prison. He's a Force user, anything for him can be a weapon, so I would think his jailers would plan ahead for that.

Anywho it's a moot point, this scenario is likely as the rumor of Luke using the DS. I'm done entertaining these ideas.

And here's claim that the latest rumors are all poodoo.

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/08/latest-star-wars-episode-7-rumors-another-point-of-view.html

So keep an open mind.

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    What exactly makes you think his body will be kept in constant restraints. It's only a rumor of course like all the others that Luke would be a prisoner, but just based on pics we've seen of Mark, the idea's come into play that he looks to be in decent shape, which is why there's the issue of him being imprisoned for thirty some years. I'm pointing out that based on that, whatever imprisonment he suffered wouldn't be/wasn't the kind that would keep him from being in shape, and that in our world alone such imprisonment happens all the time, so it's not as if it's unfounded. Yes it's a moot point for now though as it's still just a rumor.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How can I put this? Ah yes....

[​IMG]

Come on, Abrams is unhappy so therefore Luke's role is going to be crap? How do you even come up with that sentence? There is no logical progression, no coherent line of thought, just you hellbent on tormenting yourself!

And that's another thing - a few of us have emphasised that these are rumours and should be treated accordingly and what happens? "Oh but there must be some truth to it!" What? You hate what these things are proposing! Why would you want to maintain there is even 1% of truth to them when they are tormenting you with their claims? I would expect that you would be looking for reason to dismiss, but no.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Never mind that it is August 2014 for crying out loud!

Revanfan1 and Matt Skywalker like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I propose that someone go dig up all the crazy rumors that went around in the late 70s-early 80s regarding the OT - they make these modern ones look tame in comparison. It'd be a fun trip down Nostalgia Lane. :p

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    At least wait for whenever the trailer comes out.

9. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Or a damn synopsis.

I mean we hear rumors of Luke dead, dying, using the Dark side, hermit, captive, recently captive, single, married,kids, no kids, maybe to pets, founded the Order, doesn't find the Order, thought about finding the Order but took a nap, loses his hand, loses his wife, loses his lunch etc, etc. It's all speculation at this point. We are hearing rumors and rumors of rumors.

Let's just....

[​IMG]

ThreadSketch, Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    It was pointed out to me that the creative team might have decided that the foundation of the New Jedi Order was too important to leave to off-screen and filled in with books, comics, and cartoons that have a more limited market. But that would mean any NEU taking place then would be Luke-less and any Jedi would have to be Purge survivors or self-taught.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Not necessarily, IMO; if the rumor about him only being captive for 10 years is true, then that gives us 20 years of Luke's adventures. If you look at the Bantam era, even after the NJO was formed, very seldom did they accompany Luke on his adventures. Black Fleet Crisis, Planet of Twilight, The New Rebellion...the NJO was already existent during these stories, but Luke journeyed solo in all of them. We could easily see Luke journeying solo in the 20 years between ROTJ and his capture, as well. If he does have a son in VII, then the EU will likely be where we meet his wife, too.

This is true. It would be interesting to see how many besides Kanan survived (whether by changing their names, as Kanan did, or just hiding, or whatever). Maybe these Purge survivors come out of hiding and meet Luke, and accept him as their de facto leader, but over time all of the Purge survivors fall (perhaps even to the villain who captures Luke). Thus, Luke is forced to start from the bottom, by training Daisy, Boyega, and (presumably) Gleeson.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

some of what you just said were never rumors, not official ones anyway. The official ones mostly agree.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's still all rumours.

But I don't care anymore..

Go self-flagellate yourself with the whip of Ep 7 rumours until you're bloody and bleeding!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    It's call being facetious. And what are you talking about ? There are no official rumors, that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm actually thinking of quitting this thread due to the mass outbreak of Headless-Chicken-itis!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Please don't. The rumors can easily discourage the rabid of Star Wars fan(speaking from my own experience) but this thread needs some rational thought instead of believing every rumor that comes on the web. We should be asking who or what is the source rather than why is JJ ruining "everything".

The fact that those last batch of rumors have been proven false should keep folks with an open mind.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but a counter outbreak of logic and rationality isn't happening is it? The fun quotient here, in this thread, is in negative numbers and it's staying there.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Well going away won't solve it either, I remember somebody telling me to "Stand firm!" ;)

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Solving it isn't a problem, the solution is obvious, you and I have posted it numerous times - the problem is too many people are willfully hooked on the rumour spice despite it wrecking them.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Logic and rationality outbreak, go:

We don't know if any of these rumors are true. Do I need to repost the Source A>B>C>D>A thing again? These rumors might just be circulating and recirculating because the original rumor-posters are hearing it from other sources and assuming it's coming from a totally separate source, rather than themselves. Thus they continue to circulate because, say, Latino Review posts a rumor, then MakingStarWars sees the rumor and reposts it, and JediNews sees MSW's post, and reposts it, and then LR sees JN's and assumes they got it from a different source than they originally did, so it must be true.

Even if the rumors are true, we don't know the full story. We're assuming Luke's been a prisoner for the full thirty yers, because a few sites have reported that. But a few sites have also reported that it's been ten years or less, as well. So we don't know the timeframe. But there are other things we don't know. How was Luke captured? Who captured him? Why? Perhaps, like he did twice in ROTJ, with Jabba and with Vader, he intended to be captured. Has Luke trained Jedi in the possible twenty years before his capture? Did he marry? Have a kid? We don't know. Some assume he has, some assume he hasn't. But that's all they are: assumptions. Will Luke turn to the dark side? No rumor has said that yet. There have been rumors stating Luke has changed, and rumors saying Luke may use the dark side. But I haven't seen a rumor yet that says Luke actually turns to the dark side.

Our vision of Luke might not be Abrams'. We all know what we want for Luke. But even amongst ourselves (the fans), there are different opinions. Some of us want Luke to marry and have at least one child, and restart the Jedi Order in the process. Others want him to remain single, but adopt a child. Still others want Luke to be single, have no children, and no Jedi Order. And then there's the group that wants Luke to have a single apprentice, to have the "lone wolf and cub" feel. There are all these groups and more, and it is not fair to any of them to say "since your vision of Luke doesn't match up with mine, you must hate Luke." We all have different views of a character, and none of them are necessarily wrong. This also goes for Abrams. He obviously has a very specific view of Luke and his story in mind, and it might not match up with many of our wishes–but then, he would never be able to please everybody, anyways. In the end, Abrams shouldn't be expected to do anything except write what he feels, as the cowriter and director, is the best story.

There are narrative decisions behind every choice. Okay, so we all (here in this forum, anyway) seem to want Luke to have established a New Jedi Order. So do I. I mean, I really-really do. And I expect it, as well. Remember, Andy Serkis dropped a hint that he may be using a lightsaber; it's possible he could be Luke's first student, who is now training further students in Luke's absence. But even if there are only three or four Jedi already somewhat trained in the ST, there is a narrative purpose for this; they are not doing it to spite Luke or his fans. They have reasons. It is possible they want us to see the reformation of the Jedi Order onscreen, rather than just being told about it.

There are other characters besides Luke. As much as we may want it otherwise, the ST is not going to be Luke's story. It's going to be Daisy's. It's going to be John's. It's going to be Gleeson's. It's going to be Isaac's. Luke is one character in a very large ensemble cast, and he is not the protagonist. Whatever happens in the ST, it will be about the younger characters as much (or more) as about the OT characters. Luke, Han, and Leia will likely have very big, important supporting roles–but this is not their trilogy. They had their limelight, thirty years ago. We all love that limelight. But now it's the new cast's turn. They get to shine now. Do I think Luke, Han, and Leia will have shining moments in the ST? Yes. But the overall plot will, in all likeliness, not be focused on them overall. And I'll gladly eat crow if I turn out to be wrong.

So–TL;DR, there are many unknown factors in the ST, and many known factors, that you have to consider before making any kind of judgment on any rumors you hear. I love Luke as much as every single one of you does. He is my favorite Star Wars character; he's in my personal Hall of Heroes as far as fictional characters go; he's all-around awesome. But he is not the only deciding factor these guys have to consider in the ST, and we all have to remember that. So. That's my two cents on the matter, and my attempt to bring logic and rationality to the thread like Jedi Ben requested. Have fun with it, or ignore it, at your own discretion. [face_peace]

21. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
  22. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Next rumor will be that Luke's 10 year captivity will turn out to be just for 6 months cause he got out early for good behavior. :p

ChildOfWinds and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    We're taking an awful risk here, this better work.....

[​IMG]

I have a solution to all this - piss-take mode active! So Luke's jailor will be...

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Matt Skywalker like this.
  24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    hey i have no problem with being rational, but rationlism, and trepidation over the universe that you love is not mutually exclusive. I have legitimate concerns, and no i dont believe every rumor. I actually think the hand rumor for instance is bogus

25. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    But claiming certain rumors are more "offical" than others is gonna skew your perspective anyway. I mean what makes a rumor legimate ?

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.