main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...you're welcome?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    sigh. You clearly don't understand this sport.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't even know if I'm the opposing team or the ball.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You are a bunch of people that want to ruin Sabine.

5. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The Sabine short seems curious.... I liked the Chopper one better, though. I wonder though if we'll see Sabine treat the Empire less frivolously as the Galactic Civil War wages on? Where it all stops being fun and games for her?

6. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I hope that will be part of her process as she matures and get's older within the series. Plus, we don't know what happened to her in the past and how the Empire affected her. Maybe this happy, artistic and reckless personality is her way of dealing with grief.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll point out -- since it seems unclear -- that the explosive she used did conventionally detonate before the paint came through -- and the stormies were suffering a blast concussion afterwards. It was definitely a real explosive; it's not all fun and games for her.

Happy, artistic, and reckless are certainly accurate, though.

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Re-watching the clip, the blast completely shreds the TIE fighter and sends the debris flying, but all of the Stormtroopers are alive and conscious, if knocked down and repainted. Maybe it was a breaching charge of sorts, a directional explosive with the front side loaded to blow apart what it was attached to and the rear packed with paint.

Interestingly enough, Greg Weisman has noted on twitter that both this and the first short "Machine in the Ghost" were written by him, and that this short's original title was the more artistic "Her Smile". EDIT: He also voiced the Stormtrooper officer with the orange shoulder pad.

Mia Mesharad and Starkeiller like this.
  9. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I liked the clip, I didn't think I was going to like her personality, but I do.

Of course, the Stormtroopers level of incompetence is definitely strong with this one.

10. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    It is an even stranger universe where you need a license to sell fruit.

And -- aw £#&%, we're living in it. :(

Pfluegermeister, Zorrixor and spicer like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think we're saying that "good guys" don't have to be serious and principled.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is your problem with spray paint?

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Rebels has an official release date and time: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...-premieres-friday-october-3-on-disney-channel

Starkeiller, spicer and kubricklynch like this.
  14. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006

Let's not forget that the rebels in episode IV blew up an entire Death Star, effectively killing who-knows-how-many soldiers, personnel, and presumably families that were aboard. And then proceeded to blow up yet another one a few years later. We didn't have a problem with their violent tactics then.

Darth_Garak and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    An interesting thing that Rebels is fast highlighting is how old the OT actually is thematically.

There's something rather interesting seeing how things that were easily brushed aside in the 70s are much more closely scrutinised these days.

Darth_Garak and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    I like the idea of families living on a remote space military installation named the "Death Star". Surely this will be a good community to raised the kids in.

"Some families watch fireworks, mine watch Alderaan exploded."

[​IMG]

17. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Making the destruction of the Death Star a war crime was stupid when Karen Traviss tried to do it in one of the LotF novels, and it's still stupid. It's a karking secret military installation. This isn't Star Trek TNG; there are no families and no civilians on secret military installations.

That's not to say everyone on the Death Star was bad and deserved it; but it's a totally legitimate military target, by even the most stringent laws of warfare. There is no ambiguity there at all.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I wouldn't actually put it past the Empire housing families on there. Planting weapons around civilians and using them as human shields seems right up a despicable organisation like the Empire's street.

Revanfan1 and Matt Skywalker like this.
  19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    If they didn't even attempt to leave after seeing Alderaan go boom, why exactly is it that they didn't deserve to die?

20. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Let's ask Master Windu on the matter...

Well there you have it, but he might be a little bias.

StrikerKOJ likes this.
  21. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    He could have been more reserved, but he's not wrong. ;)

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The strange thing with the Death Star... how much would you actually see if you lived there? It's not like there were lots of pretty penthouse apartments on the surface... it didn't even seem to have that many windows. That's the scary thing with dictatorships; it's the people living in them that often have no clue what's actually happening.

I actually think it'd be quite fitting for the Empire, like the Nazis it was based on, to have kept its own citizens largely clueless about what was happening right under their noses-- and doing that to people living on the Death Star itself would be quite a poignant metaphor for that. It was one of the most interesting parts I found when I watched Der Untergang earlier this year, as it shows how the people living in Berlin itself were kept pretty clueless-- like those right in most dictator's pockets usually are.

23. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Something like a Caamasi housing program in the waste recycling/detention block levels.

Definitely. We have a discussion over here from time to time about decades-old children's books being updated to be more politically correct, which one side of the argument obviously sees as a special edition-like culture crime. I'm actually undecided about whether I better like art unchanged over the ages or children confronting difficult issues in the right context, not in some book they read "unsupervised". But the one thing I did notice is that I'm not sure why a kid from today should read decades-old children's books for entertainment, especially if it's just out of some sense of superiority of the parents' generation and the nostalgia for their childhood moments. And yes, teaching kids about old times would be good, but denying that times have changed isn't helpful.

Zorrixor likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Really?

revan772 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    And in Death Star, those who did find out were quick to find a way to leave.

Starkeiller likes this.