main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Yes, because choosing to live in a military installation called the Death Star is very healthy.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What was it called in Detours? I'm drawing a blank. A mall or something?

3. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    No one deserves to die and no one deserves to live on the Death Star.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    More than you might think.

You refer to the principle of distinction -- that between a civilian and military target. It's not clear the Death Star is solely a military facility. Under the EU, it was a space installation with a massive civilian support staff. It is more akin to a fortified city than a military base.

But even assuming it was a base, the principles of necessity and proportionality come on.

Stopping the Death Star -- especially when it's about to blow you up -- is probably necessary. But destroying the entire thing and everybody on it was vastly disproportionate.

You can argue that there was no other way, that they couldn't just take out the super laser. But it's far from "no ambiguity."

And we're not even getting into the complications the Rebels face as non-state actors.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006

Okay, what about the janitors and secretaries that just don't have the funds to find a way off? Death Star was taken out not long after Alderaan, it's not like they stuck around complicit for years.

addendum: also, Princess Leia was in the Death Star prior to sending squadrons to blow it up. With all the sneaking around her group did, you'd think they could have just sabotaged it.

6. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

don't they have droids for that ?

Gamiel likes this.
  7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    who cares. you ally yourself with evil, even if it is just a paycheck you deserve what you get. Luke did nothing wrong. The Death Star destroyed one of the most important and beautiful planets in the universe. IT HAD TO BE STOPPED!!

8. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Necessity was blowing up the Death Star, which, whatever it was under whatever laws of warfare, was coming to kill them. The only chance of stopping it at that point was the thermal exhaust port. It was therefore necessary to kill everyone onboard. If there was another way of stopping the Death Star, the Rebels would have considered it. There was not. They only had a million in one chance, and they had to do it simply in order to survive.

As for the Rebels being non-state actors, that's the only thing that makes them a legitimate organisation. When there is a super-state spanning a galaxy, only organisations that operate outside it can be legitimate.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like how people assume there's, like, regular bus service or a parking lot on the Death Star that people could just leave.

I'm not even sure what's going on about this legitimacy business, but you seem to be under the impression I'm arguing that the Rebels couldn't have blown it up. I'm not -- I'm saying that it's not as clean or clear-cut as was alleged. Just because something is justified doesn't mean it's impossible to conceive that it wasn't.

Darkwriter likes this.
  10. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Guys, it's just a movie. :p

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's not true. It's also a coloring book.

12. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    I stand corrected, it's also a failed Strategic Defense Initiative.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The coloring book is totes Legends now.

Zorrixor and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Which brings up the question, will Sabine use modern-day teen slang like "totes?" Oh, I hope not.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  16. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006

On the contrary, I hope she does. That would soooo make my month.

But she probably won't. That kind of slang really dates the medium, more so than animation or special effects ever could. In the 2020s, people will go around saying, "That is so 2014."

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    May I ask why? [face_laugh]

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  19. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    #HateModernSlang

20. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006

I just think it would hilarious. It's so at odds with the seriousness of Star Wars. Like that commercial where James Earl Jones reads emails with modern slang. Not something you expect to see. She is a teenager after all.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Because it'd be so wizard, duh.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Sabine: "So, like, Hera, if you could get me new paint bombs and some junk, that'd be totes cray-cray."

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My dislike of modern slang in these sorts of things has more to do with adults thinking they know what's "hip" with kids, which usually sounds dated (like the word "hip") or like they're trying too hard. If it feels natural, it doesn't bother me. Youth slang can sometimes permeate upwards too -- see "totes" for instance.

Valin__Kenobi, Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's why you should always invent your own slang when using fictional characters.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    ...Did I just walk into a scene from Clerks?

FRAGWAGON and anguirus2003 like this.