main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Mortis Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by I know, Aug 18, 2014.

1. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    What is Mortis?

My impression has always been that it's another plane of existence. The netherworld of the Force. I thought this is where the spirits of the dead Jedi reside. Those like Obi Wan and Yoda who have mastered the technique can project a physical manifestation of themselves from here into the 'real world' Universe. But, those like Qui-Gon could only project their voice. I always wanted to believe that when Anakin died and became one with the Force he transcended into the Mortis realm and took up the mantle of the Father where he continues to maintain the Balance of the Force.

Can anyone else shed some light on this mystery?

(Sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere ... I looked through about 16 pages but couldn't find it)

darklordoftech and whostheBossk like this.
  2. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Mortis was deliberately left open-ended to allow viewers to draw their own conclusions. After the Yoda arc came and went with no further clarification, I doubt we'll ever get concrete answers.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think the Mortis monolith was a tomb encasing the spirits( or spirit) powerful force sentients that was designed to both magnify and amplify their powers. The original storyline though had Revan and Bane influencing The Son. The episodes tended to create more questions than answers - perhaps Rebels will continue to explore more of the Force with Ezra and Kanan. To me the monolith looked kinda like one big damn Sith Holocron.

I know likes this.
  4. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I find it interesting that the Father's body vanished Obi-Wan style, but was not the case with Daughter and Son. It's the only non-Jedi shown doing this in canon. But since the reality of the whole Mortis incident is rather vague, it is impossible to draw any conclusion from it without more information.

I will be surprised if Mortis, or some sort of direct thematic reflection of the episodes does not appear somehow in the sequel trilogy.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Two things of interest that I noticed:

1. The Mortis Monolith looks artificial.

2. Mortis sent out a signal that hadn't been used in "over two thousand years", and the Sith were founded "almost two thousand years ago".

6. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I find it curious that a Selkath was included into canon and Revan was very nearly also seen on screen which would in some way validate the events of the atleast the first KOTOR game in some manner.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Selkath in TCW only validates KOTOR to the extent that Selkath are canon now, same with any other EU popping up in the shows/films.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I figured that those were just tributes, not canonization. Also, there are some aspects of KOTOR that don't fit canon, such as Sith ghosts.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Not sure if they're actually ghosts as in the pop culture concept. As whatever it is Jedi and Sith do to preserve their lifeforce in the physical realm is likely a technique long forgotten and something Exar Kun was known to do since the old Tales comics. On Moraband we had the Sith spirits that alerted the living generation of Sith to Yoda's presence.

Would've been cool. Feloni may get permission to eventually include Revan on Rebels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It was the Priestesses who alerted the living Sith. The Priestesses state that they created the trials.
    The Tales comics aren't canon.
    What role would Revan have in Rebels?

11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    It is up in the air whether or not the priestesses created the Sith serpents and Sith warrior spirits, who surely did alert both Tyranus and Sidious at the same time just as they said they would. As for Bane, it did not seem like an illusion conjured up by them. They lured Yoda to face the Sith and to Bane's tomb where his spirit still lives on that would tempt him with great power. The early Mortis storyline for the episodes do confirm that the Ancient Sith Lord spirts were to play a key role and that they do indeed survive in the nether realm of the force much like Exar Kun.

Why wouldnt Rebels continue exploring the Force the same way CW did? Just because Revan is not official canon right now, does not mean he cannot be in the future.

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I swear I recall Filoni stating Darth Bane's spirit was an illusion by the five priestesses.

Darth Bane and Revan were cut from Mortis because the scene didn't make sense; Filoni and Lucas noticed the problems of having the Sith being able to achieve somewhat immortality. As the Yoda arc states, the Sith are unable to achieve immortality with the Force.

Mortis, as many others have explained on this board, is a metaphor for the Star Wars Saga; given how Filoni is unwilling to explaining in detail what the arc actually meant is probably due to potential hidden clues about the ST. It's more than just confirmation of Anakin being the Chosen One; it's about how the prophecy will be fulfilled and the impact it will have on the galaxy.

There are great similarities between the Yoda arc and Mortis arc. Both Yoda and Anakin face trials by the Force to prove themselves and both receive future visions. Anakin controls both the Daughter and the Son and Yoda acknowledges the existence of his dark self - a trial of balance for both; yet, only one passes a trial of temptation of the Dark Side. After the Son shows Anakin his future self, he falls on the promise the future can be altered (a foreshadow on what will occur in RoTS); when at the tomb of Darth Bane, Yoda refuses to fear the Sith Lord and dismisses it as an illusion. Unlike Anakin, Yoda puts his faith and trust in the Force and in the end is foretold of "another Skywalker", bring hope that the future will not be dark forever.

Anakin, on the other hand, finally accepts he is the Chosen One, but the Fathers dying words hints the galaxy will suffer greatly in the process of balance being restored. His inability to control his emotions, leading with his heart and sacrificing anyone - apart from himself - to save the ones he loves means the Chosen One will poisoning all to achieve balance.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Nothing would please me more, but I just don't see that happening because the Jedi have already been wiped out and the Sith have already taken over. It looks like they're taking the opposite approach with this series, none of the Force-users who we've been introduced to yet are even fully trained. So I have no idea how anything like that could possibly fit, as much as that would always be my top pick for what to get from SW.

14. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Points of note in support of Mortis existing in the Netherworld of the Cosmic Force:

"I'm not sure if we are even in our own galaxy."
    -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"We are the ones who guard the Power. we are the beginning the middle and the end."
    -The Daughter

"I don't understand. What is this place?"
    "Unlike any other. A conduit through which the entire Force of the universe flows."
    ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and the spirit of Qui-Gon Jinn

"My Father still has hold of this realm."
    - The Son

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Even if the Inquisitor didn't exist, why does Son have Pau'un marks on his face?

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    It is listed as darkside markings on him are dark-side tattoos( so if anything he's modeled somehow on The Son and somewhat on Darth Desolous).

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-inquisitor.50015660/page-28#post-51738921

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You guys are wrong, Rebels is not going to do that. In fact, I'd be surprised if Rebels even touches the force concept in a way TCW series did. First they have no GL, second, its an OT feel, and the Force is far from being that important. I think if things go a certain way that we may get even more answers on the force in the sequel trilogy. GL stated that the prequels was about politics and bit slower, the OT was the middle and more fun, but if he ever got to do a sequel he said something about the force and a better explanation. I think in the sequel trilogy we will get a deeper explanation on the mysteries of the force. We might buy it we might not.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Becuase GL is no longer doing stories and is not the driving force behind the new show and second, its going to have a OT feel not a TCW type feel. TCW to include the 4 issue arc had all thses weird force power abilities and beliefs and stuff like that. The Rebels series will not be as expansive in scope. Rebels will be more about the core characters banding together like some sort of band of the hand and trying to strike back against a mighty empire. Diffferent overtures, and any introdcution of force concept right now may ruin the sequel movies (if they cover it) and the like. Sorry bubba but its not happening. Mortis, the well spring and all that won't be in Rebels.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I do not see that as making any sense as both Jedi and Sith will be focal. The only way that would make any sense is if the crew of The Ghost were all non-Jedi/non-force sensitive. During the OT Lucas was creating SW as he was going along, and those movies were under various production constraints. SW was not the beast it became in the 90's and after the PT. Lucas sold SW also for other writers to have their chance and to carry SW to newer generations. That means new ideas and direction where he is not the one controlling every single detail with veto power. Kanan and Ezra are both Jedi, well Ezra is a padawan and will continue to grow while Kanan will redicover being a Jedi Knight in the process again so certainly there will Force related episodes, moreover there is a Sith trained army , Inquisitors. The OT also had Force scenes and were central to Luke's growth.

DARTH-BADGUY likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I also wonder why Talzin and Father both have a double voice.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Vorax Kanan was never a Jedi Knight, I don't consider either him or Ezra to be Jedi in any proper sense of the title.

22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Kanan being a Padawan or Knight, same difference really. As long as he carries a lightsaber and takes a padawan, continues tradition & passes on what he has learned. Ezra obviously learns to become a Jedi knight through Kanan and assembles his own lightsaber. Not even Luke Skywalker was officially Knighted.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    As a music tutor for almost 10 years now I have to say that being a student or teacher really is not the same thing, and being a student with some basics down for long enough does not make you a teacher. You may be able to teach someone else the basics that you know, but someone who can only play "Louie, Louie" on guitar is not going to be able to show someone else how to play the "Stairway to Heaven" solo regardless of how long they've had "Louie, Louie" down pat.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    You cannot expect official ceremony with robed monks with pomp and circumstance, as this is the dark times and a less civilized age. The council is no more. The Jedi Knight Order are all but gone, the temple destroyed, their religion near extinct. So nobody left around to go through all the rituals and ceremonies, much like Luke who never took any oath or had a sword placed near his shoulder knighting him by either Kenobi or Yoda.

Also if you remember Luke was not a Jedi either if you're taking it to the extremes as this. He had to confront and defeat Vader, then and only then would a Jedi he would be atleast to Kenobi and Yoda. Luke refused to kill his own father and refused their Jedi way but not thee Jedi way.

A Knight is a military rank of usually lower nobility. First you have to start off as as squire, there was several ways you can become knighted as you do remain a squire forever. Luke like a squire of the Medieval period, would have to prove his loyalty and skill in battle, in his case the order wanted him to kill his own father. Order before before the family, the killing of Darth Vader. Kanan and Ezra take on the Empire and the Sith trained darkside Warrior, the Inquisitor. So am pretty sure that counts as being Jedi, their deeds, reverence, hearts and training is all within the way of the Jedi as they live so does the Jedi.

25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Seeing how the Jedi should be very rare exploration of the force's mythology should take a total back seat in Rebels. Instead what its like to be one of those rare force users and not even a real Jedi trying to pass on that piece of him in a small way to another generation would be much more appropriate. It does seem like part of Kanan's character arc provided they don't kill him off way early may be rediscovering his creed and his Jedi powers. To an extent it might be kinda interesting to see atleast one Mortis/ Yoda arc like episode anyways because I think it would be kinda interesting to throw a guy as disenfranchised as Kanan may be just to see what come out of it vs The Chosen One or the great and wise Yoda. But that seems a little off base.