main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Cultural References borne of the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Drewdude91, Aug 2, 2014.

1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    That would probably have been better than what GL wrote

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    LOL.

To be fair, though, declaiming some aspect of your upbringing, when the other person might not be expecting you to say something negative, or ever imagined you having anything other than felicitous thoughts about much of your own past, could be considered an effective ice-breaker. Such a forthright declaration can break tension and add intrigue. Besides, I don't think Anakin saying, "I don't like sand" is much of anything; it's not a ham line. His attempt to turn it into some kind of come-on with how he qualifies his dislike, though... :p

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

4. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    I always say "That's why I'm here..." when somebody asks me to do something.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Or as us mods like to say it.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to banning.

6. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    The "you underestimate my power" line has brought us many memes as well as the "chosen one".

7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Jedi Mind tricks dont work on me....Only Money.

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Do you also employ McGregor's cadence?

A line I quote when things go well: "Ah, victory!"

And said in the ham voice that Gunray uses.

Vialco and Seagoat like this.
  9. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I'd say the personage of TPM's Queen Amidala has successfully been incorporated into pop culture, her distinctive mien and wardrobe as indelible as Bardem's Anton Chigurh and Ledger's Joker.

Also, during the last years of the Bush regime, I heard innumerable comparisons made to Palpatine (the go-to pop analogue for political evil until Kevin Spacey and his House of Cards arrived on the scene).

10. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Yes. I also have a growing compulsion to say "Roger, roger" over the walkie-talkies at my work. I know it will happen some day... haha

11. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    Williams's Duel of the Fates piece came within a mite's breadth of achieving Imperial March-immortality.

(I've held out a perverse hope that at some point in the past fifteen years, there was an honest-to-god swordfight wherein one combatant had the theme playing through his head.)

12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    [​IMG]

Darth Maul remains a pretty popular choice for dressing up occasions such as rugby sevens tournaments. Here he is at a recent rugby match in Wellington, NZ.

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
    "Aren't you a little tall for a Ray Park?"

PCCViking likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't know how many times I've done that!

Say what you will of GL's writing, but he sure has a way of creating memorable dialogue.

I've seen many memes and other stuff that references characters and/or situations from these movies. I can't really name any off the top of my head, but yeah, Anakin's Trilogy has definitely left an impression on pop culture.

Seagoat and Cryogenic like this.
  14. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Yea, the Maul-type villain (mostly silent main henchman who fights flamboyantly and dies in his first movie) has become more and more popular but i don't know if that's actually because of maul. Most of them wear masks, like Kroenen in Hellboy or Rinzler in Tron:Legacy (don't know if rinzler counts, he definitely does until the third act). Though oddly i've yet to see this archetype in any of the recent slew of Superhero films so maybe it's dying down.

15. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    Loupgarou: It feels more like Lucas was taking a page from the Bond series, providing the PT with a revolving door of Oddjob-styled eccentric henchmen. (Which really makes me hanker for a John Barry theme song for Palpatine.:) )

Darth Raiden and Vthuil like this.
  16. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I have Palpatine's ROTS dialogue so well memorized by default that it seems to just spontaneously bubble out of me to the point to where I have to censor myself a bit when I am in non-SW Fan company. I do delight to use his lines in completely non-nonsensical and situationally inappropriate ways with the right people. Someone offers me something to drink at their home during dinner and I might say, "Are you threatening me Master Jedi?"

17. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    lol I do that too my reply would be "The senate will decide your drink"

18. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Yeah, for example, you can't really say to the bank teller at the drive-thru over the little intercom, "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi," when they are processing your request without raising some eyebrows. In those moments I just have to enjoy it in my head or say it softly to any companions present to avoid making trouble.

Seagoat and Shira A'dola like this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    There's an amusement park that I went to as a young kid and had this show that was a medieval type thing with sword fights and stuff. They used "Duel of the Fates" for the sword duel lol. But then after ROTS came out, they replaced it with "Battle of the Heroes"

CoolyFett likes this.
  20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    This made me laugh so hard... I'm using that from now on.

Vialco likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Not a "cultural" reference, but something I've only just realized from my own life: I've had a definite tendency in the past decade to occasionally begin things ranging from saved-game names to class reading responses with "War!"

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  22. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I think padawan is probably the most used word or phrase from the prequels. Sith has become more popular, but to be fair that word existed since the OT.

23. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Elaborating on the padawan thing, I've met a few people who've had a 'padawan braid' hairstyle, and I've also heard the term used for single dreads (not the same thing). I believe only one of the padawan braid wearers i met had one out of a love for Star Wars.

And I don't know if this counts, but however you/i feel about jar jar, Lucas was right that full CG characters alongside live-action was the future and would be the norm for genre films. Rocket Racoon and Groot are perhaps the zenith of this, in popularity and in how no one has complained that they were 'too cg'. I

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Not just full-CGI characters, actually - they haven't worked out that well in many cases. But Jar Jar was the forerunner of the sort of motion-capture CGI characters that made Andy Serkis famous. They're the real wave of the future.

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Similarly, I also say "That's...good news," when someone tells me something and I have no clue what they're talking about.

Seagoat and Winston_Sith like this.