main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I've Watched The Entire Saga In Order

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by EternalHero, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Doesn't have to be if you don't want it to be part of it.

spicer and Seagoat like this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i never said that.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just throwing that out there.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Interesting experiment, and I'm tempted to give it a try based on your review. In addition, some of the comics do add to the experience. I'd go as far as to say that the Darth Maul series is crucial to The Clone Wars series after we were left with that cliffhanger. In addition, this page pretty much lists stories that mesh well with the series, continuity-wise:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_C-canon_elements_in_the_films

Though there's a much better flow with the TV series' and the movies (that live action one would really be cool). Anyways, I wouldn't call them essential, but I'd still give them the honor of saying they add more depth to the movies.

IMO, the micro series proved to be more essential with direct tie-ins between the movies. The later Clone Wars series still added more character development and plot details (mainly Sifo-Dyas).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    The show was cancelled before they could finish her story. Lucas had consented to a full sixth season and it's rumored that the show could go as far as an eighth season.
    .[/quote]

Regardless of whether or not her story was completed, there was NO mention of her in ROTS, and they mention Qui-Gon numerous times in AOTC and ROTS, although he was killed 13 years earlier. Chalk it down to Anakin not wanting to bring her up because of the pain, but he still brings up his mother, so that's just bull. If you lost someone, you bring them up every now and then. Obi-Wan could've easily said "What would Ahsoka think of you?" to Vader, but he didn't. Realistically speaking, I'd say he should have. But he didn't because AHSOKA SHOULDNT BE CANON!!!

6. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

Regardless of whether or not her story was completed, there was NO mention of her in ROTS, and they mention Qui-Gon numerous times in AOTC and ROTS, although he was killed 13 years earlier. Chalk it down to Anakin not wanting to bring her up because of the pain, but he still brings up his mother, so that's just bull. If you lost someone, you bring them up every now and then. Obi-Wan could've easily said "What would Ahsoka think of you?" to Vader, but he didn't. Realistically speaking, I'd say he should have. But he didn't because AHSOKA SHOULDNT BE CANON!!![/quote]

He didn't bring up Ani's mom either and she's canon. QGJ isn't mentioned in the OT because he wasn't created yet, Yoda wasn't mentioned in ANH because he wasn't created yet. That doesn't invalidate the importance of those characters or make them not part of the overall story. My next post will be about the importance of Ahsoka, actually. SlashMan Leading straight into the opening sequence of RotS is nice but the kind of continuity I'm talking about is deeper and has to do with themes and subtext; there are also many more direct threads that run throughout the entire Saga than in the Micro-Series (again, I love the Micro-Series) and GL wasn't the author of that, he really just handed it off. Before you ask where that leaves the upcoming spin-off movies, I'll gladly accept them as part of the story but if GL ever came back and said, "No that's not what happened" and did his own version, his version would take precedence - unlikely, but that's how it would work for me.

Andy Wylde and SlashMan like this.
  7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Id dont view The Clone Wars show as part of The Star War saga. The 6 non Disney movies, is the saga. The Clone Wars is a pretty good show though, it has an expanded universe feel to me.i think it does a great job expanding the SW fan base. Hopefully the Disney Trilogy will expand the fanbase as well. Same for the Rebels show. Its good to give fans diversity n different media, from comics to books to cartoons to action figures to video games. Everyone wont like everything, but there is something for everyne.

oierem likes this.
  8. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Let's be clear though: I DO consider BOTH shows part of the saga, but I just think 2003 takes precedence.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    ROTS already gave them personalities and names. Nor were they mindless in that film.

The point was that Palpatine had to watch his back as he and Dooku both had to look out for someone else looking to interfere with his plans. It gives a good look at the dynamic of the Sith and the Rule of Two.

How so? It's consistent with the way he is at the start of ROTS. He's no longer angry at feeling held back. He's an equal to Obi-wan. From time to time, he gets emotionally bent out of shape when it affects his loved ones and downright vicious when something happens to Padme or he faces Dooku.

Not really. The last time they fought now, was on Naboo. Quite a bit of time pssed.

Which was how Lucas intended him to be.

Except at the time the show was done, Anakin had already gone back to Tatooine and choked a person prior to the show. So it was a continuation of that.

So, not getting mentioned means it's not canon. That's ridiculous.

Andy Wylde and EternalHero like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    TCW is part of TCW. :p

Seagoat likes this.
  11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    NO WAY
    THAT'S NONSENSE

darth-sinister oh sorry, didn't see you quoted me lol

Well, they're totally mindless in ROTS. They don't show any hesitation or questioning when following Order 66 and they drop all aspects of minor personality they may have had. TCW just blows the whole individuality crap out of proportion

Eh, the Maul thing is opinion. If you like it, more power to ya

I dunno, it's just a personal interpretation. He just seems.... too lighthearted. Maybe it's the voice. Not a fan of how Lanter performs

I meant that the way Anakin speaks to Dooku is saying that he won't make the same mistake he did in AOTC, giving more of a "satisfying" feeling of revenge when he defeats him, followed by a disturbing wtf when he decapitates him. Taking TCW into account, he's just being weird about it

He can handle Obi-Wan for quite a while in ROTS, and loses miserably to the girl and Ventress in like a minute. Not very consistent to me lol

I mean it would make no sense for him to return to Tat after AOTC, and Force Choking people takes away from the emotional impact of choking Padme. I don't remember him choking anyone in AOTC or earlier in ROTS

As for your reply to Drewdude, agreed. Qui-Gon was not created before TESB, which is why Obi-Wan referred to Yoda as his old master (which is still true in a few ways)

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    AOTC had Lama Su state that they've been modified to obey orders without question and season six revealed that they have a chip implanted that ensures that they do.

The only difference between the duels is that in two of them, Anakin fought Dooku alone. This time he and Obi-wan were going to try it together since they were both present.

Huh? Anakin didn't lose to Ventress.

Except Anakin went because he was on a mission and thus had a reason to go. This was true in both TCW and an issue of the Dark Horse ongoing series. As to the choke, I was referring to the comic "Last Stand On Jabiim", where Anakin gets angry and is seen choking someone. That story arc was published in 2003, while ROTS was being made. Besides, the impact is that he would attack his wife. Not how he would do it.

13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh sorry, I should clarify that I only take the six films into account, not EU

Anakin never returned to Tat or choked anyone aside from Padme after AOTC. The Force Choke is iconic because of how often Vader used it in the OT, which in a way makes it more disturbing

And I was referring to Grievous when I said he lost so easily

14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    OK, enough's enough - the Saga forum is for discussion about the films only, and canon debates are neither relevant, nor permitted. Discussion regarding TCW belongs in the Star Wars TV forum.

oierem likes this.
  15. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

Then change the Forum to Star Wars Movies In-Depth. TCW is officially part of the Saga :

(http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page)

"Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align."

The purpose of this thread is to outline how the entire canon Saga fits together. This is an issue that will be broached in fandom eventually this Forum is as good a place as any to start. So far the discussion has been respectful and it's only getting started. I don't see how "enough's enough" applies, we're not arguing or debating, we're just discussing. If you can't discuss TCW as part of the whole then you can't really discuss the Saga.

Andy Wylde and Gudenruben2 like this.
  16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I suppose this had to come up sooner or later - the SW Saga forum is for Episodes I-VI only (and will eventually include Eps VII-IX), regardless of what LFL 'official canon' happens to be. The recent abandonment of the previous EU is a perfect example of just how fragile this canon can be, hence why it's not relevant to this forum. George Lucas wrote all six films and directed four - there can't be any debate about their authenticity or validity as being his vision of Star Wars.

This thread is only on its second page, however, and people are already debating whether or not TCW should be included, so it's quite clear that an official stamp saying 'canon' isn't universally accepted, nor is it likely to be any time soon.

There are several other forums for discussing SW material aside from the films (along with the accompanying canon debates) - Saga is currently for the films only, with a certain amount of flexibility regarding the relevance of other sources to certain topics.

However, I am aware that recent developments may have blurred the lines for many between what was once known as 'G-canon' and the rest/the EU. If anyone feels strongly about this issue, please start a thread in the Communications forum.

17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Just because it's officially canon and it's cinema material doesn't make it part of the saga

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    what? it's up to the individual what they watch. canon is canon, so to me if you want the whole story you watch the films and the tcw... and rebels i guess. it doesn't matter.

19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Sorry, I meant to say that it doesn't make it objectively part of the saga

The saga is, to me, whatever you make of it really. Screw the concept of "canon"

Force Smuggler and spicer like this.
  20. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

"George Lucas wrote all six films and directed four - there can't be any debate about their authenticity or validity as being his vision of Star Wars."

GL had as much to do with TCW as he did with ESB or RotJ and more than he has to do with the ST.

"regardless of what LFL 'official canon' happens to be. The recent abandonment of the previous EU is a perfect example of just how fragile this canon can be, hence why it's not relevant to this forum. "

TCW isn't EU and was never EU. It is a 60 hour SW film made by GL. He made this clear from the outset. TCW is an essential part of the Saga.

"This thread is only on its second page, however, and people are already debating whether or not TCW should be included, so it's quite clear that an official stamp saying 'canon' isn't universally accepted, nor is it likely to be any time soon."

This thread isn't about canon debate but it's understandable that for some fans it might be hard not to sound off on that. I was handling it fine. Let them have their say and get it out of their system. As for the "debate" itself, the debate is over. TCW is - as it was always stated to be - an official continuation of the Saga. It has threads that weave into the PT and OT and possibly the ST.

If the discussion is only going to be about the tv series with no reference to the Saga as a whole, then I can see why it belongs in the TV Forum. But if the discussion places TCW into the whole existing Saga, it belongs in the Saga Forum. The whole point of watching it all chronologically - and not just passively watching it but closely studying all 73 hours as a whole - was to locate and expound upon the overall continuity for the express purpose of discussing it as a unified "Saga". This is either a "Movies Only Forum" or a "Saga Forum". If it's for the Saga, then that includes TCW.

Andy Wylde and Gudenruben2 like this.
  21. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Don't want to get into the discussion (and that's why I've avoided this thread until now) but these two statements are objectively false.

22. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

How so? GL conceived, initiated, financed, and produced TCW. He originated most of the stories and had final word on all aspects of production; how is that different from his role in making ESB & RotJ? It's the same thing.

As for GL's own view of this, I refer to an interview with TCW writer Christian Taylor, it's pretty cut and dried and from the Horse's mouth. As for Droids and Ewoks etc. his final word was "not part of the Saga". TCW is part of the Saga. This isn't some far-out theory, it is self evident if you consider the content of the movies and TCW together that Lucas was consciously threading it all together as one narrative. :

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/s...george-lucas-religion-and-the-shows-lifespan/

GB: You mentioned the gradations of fans — from the casual to the absolutely possessed, from the young newcomer to the longtime follower — how do you service all of those different nations?
    CT: It’s funny, when we came in George said there are three things: “There’s the father, the son and the holy ghost.” He said “There’s the father, who’s me, there’s the son who is through licensing and then there’s the holy ghost.” So when it’s authorized by George Lucas it’s canon. We get these outlines for “Clone Wars” and George has built the outline with you. You’re doing three outlines a day [during the writers' conference] for nine days and that’s intense. The mission is you’re writing stories for fans but authorized by George and still trying to somehow be cutting-edge.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    PS: I'd also like to add that TCW is only a part of this discussion (a necessary part), I will be getting back to the movies. This thread is about the whole not just the parts. It's a huge project just to watch all 73 hours carefully and keep notes, let alone comment on it. So I'm asking that you leave the thread alone and see if it has a life of its own.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

My wife and have done this. And we both agree that it should be watched this way at least once. I watch all six films in order once a year. I'm going to watch all films plus TCW in order again once all three ST episodes are complete. If Rebels turns out to be good I may add it as well, though since it wont be following any of the characters involved in the main Saga, I'm not sure if it will mesh in the same way as TCW does.

25. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    The reason I was listing all those questions of canonicity and why I dislike it was because I was expressing how I feel that it just logically cannot be part of the saga
    Whether or not it's canon, I don't care. You want it to be, it is. You don't want it to be, it's not
    I'm sorry, but this is absurd. Something can't be "objectively" canon. The OOT was objectively canon, then the '97 SE's were objectively canon and overrode the OOT. Same for every other edition leading up to the '11 blu-rays

"canon" is a very loose, flexible term