main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most Overrated Star Wars Character?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skyrimcat9416, Dec 20, 2013.

1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea I feel bad for motti when vader goes all douchy magic wizard choke on him. I really think many of the force sensitives are arrogant jerks besides maybe obi wan.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Mace Windu

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Boba Fett by far. And he may be in the new trilogy as well. God, I hope not. I'd almost rather see Jar-Jar

Team Padme likes this.
  4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Luke, Ahsoka, Mace Windu and Dooku.

Luke - Found him rather boring and really arrogant in RoTJ; it is partially due to poor writing and Luke acting as if he's a Jedi Master. EpVI has a rushed feel to it with some decisions not making sense. His character suffered the most ever since the PT. When you realise ep1-6 is really about the Rise and Fall of Anakin Skywalker (or as LF calls it Star Wars:The Skywalker Saga), the Prophecy of the Chosen One, then Luke's character loses the significance it once had. In the end, he wasn't the real hero.

Ahsoka - Dave Filoni admits he is very protective of her character and that's the problem. Yes, she is the apprentice of the Chosen One, but Jesus....Ahsoka comes across as the most powerful padawan of all time.

Mace Windu - Obnoxious in the PT, especially TPM. Similar to Luke, poor writing is to blame for his character being so unbearable and off putting.

Dooku - As I said in another thread, when I first watched AoTC I didn't 'get' his character and TCW added more confusion. Really don't understand why Sidious wanted him as an apprentice and the two seem an odd pairing. Something was just missing. Count Dooku would've been better as a non-Force sensitive. He lacked the shocking appearance of both Darth Vader and Darth Maul.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He was a political tool
    Quite frankly, I wouldn't call him overrated at all. I don't exactly see a large fanbase nor do I see kids dressing up as him for Halloween

6. SarlacsDinnerParty

SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2014
    Though I digg him I would have to say bobba fett.

7. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Bobba and Luke by farrr. No explanation needed.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Jon: I agree with you on your first two points about Dooku. However the final may simply be because Dooku (and Chris) are elderly. The elderly seem to be dismissed out of hand by many youths.

I likewise agree in part with UK. Dooku and Sidious are an odd paring. However, I think he suits being a Grey rather than a Sith.

In my experience it's Mara Jade, Han, Chewie, Vader, and Maul

9. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011

I think a big criticism against Windu and Dooku is that they were written SPECIFICIALLY for Jackson and Lee. Great actors and great characters, but you should never write a character specifically for an actor. It really limits their potential.

MacetheCouncillor likes this.
  10. lohkabre

lohkabre Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2014
    Aside from the novelizations, just sticking to the movies: It'd have to be Admiral Ackbar.

One line has led him to be one of the most popular internet memes to date... And now non-star wars fans know his name, and his famous fear of trappage.

I love Ackbar as much as the next guy, but he's totally overrated.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I disagree. Writing specifically with someone in mind doesn't automatically make the character limited.

12. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Based on the ratio of screen time to popularity, there is really only one answer here.

Boba freaking Fett. Nobody else comes remotely close.

Most other characters you could name are either too important (main characters) or not popular enough (EU characters) to warrant the consideration of "overrated".

MacetheCouncillor and Vthuil like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It can, but not necessarily - the character of Jake Gittes in Chinatown was specifically written for Jack Nicholson, and it's regarded by many as the best performance of his career.

Iron_lord and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  15. The Philosophical Owl

The Philosophical Owl Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2014
    As much as I think he is awesome, definitely Boba Fett

16. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Mace Windu.
    My god the (Mod edited) over him in other forums is so ridiculous, even with so much evidence to the contrary about his power level.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

To a certain extent, Obi-Wan plays this role in the PT, thought it has a slightly different flavor to it given that Obi-Wan is actually a member of the wizard's club, so to speak, whereas Han wasn't. If you pay attention, Obi-Wan is constantly making cynical, genre aware wisecracks. But he does it with a dry, British wit, whereas Mr. Solo is the epitome of loudmouthed American sarcasm. It's funny how at odds the two of them are in ANH, given their shared penchant for taking the **** out of things.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Obi-Wan's droll sense of humor is enjoyable, but I'm not sure it's actually irreverent in quite the same way Han's was in the OT.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    This is exactly how I see those two characters.

20. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I love it :D

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Is it? I don't think so. Obi doesn't seem to have that trait in the OT. It's only present in the PT Era.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I love those moments in ANH when Obiwan out smart***** Han. "Who's more foolish?" etc.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I liked that scene too but I didn't read it in that tone.

24. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Boba Fett. The guy was intended to be a minor background character and he has turned into a giant fan wankfest simply because he looks cool. In fairness, I think he is cool looking and it is true that he was written to be something of the ultimate badass, but he has been turned into a cottage industry for the franchise at the expense of other characters who played more important roles in the films but didn't look quite as awesome as Fett does.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Boba's name often comes up in this context, but I really don't think he is that highly rated these days. There's a fair bit of negativity towards him round these parts. His exit from ROTJ and the later dismantling of his air of mystery didn't do much for his cool stakes.