main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    If you mean when he realizes that Anakin/Vader survived Mustafar and is the man in the black suit, he finds out in the final scene of the ROTS novel's sequel, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. Obi is sitting in a bar called The Weary Traveler sipping from a water glass when a HoloNet report comes on about
    a band of Jedi being killed on Kashyyyk.
    The report shows Darth Vader in the black suit and identifies him as such, and Obi is immediately in complete and utter disbelief to the point that he almost blows his cover. As he leaves the bar, Qui-Gon speaks to him for the first time and confirms it.

I believe (but may be mistaken) that Kenobi takes place before that scene in Dark Lord. If correct, then Obi would not know that Anakin/Vader is alive at that time.

(Edited to use spoiler tags since I assume you haven't read the book.)

2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Kenobi is before Dark Lord.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks jcgoble3 and taramidala. I haven't read Dark Lord. I may have the book. I need to catch up with my reading. That helps a lot. Thanks again!

4. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    It's a quick read, and I remember enjoying it.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, it's a good book, well worth the time needed to read it.

6. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Is Dark Lord Legends or the new canon?

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Legends. Though I definitely recommend it. It was my first EU book.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I wouldn't mind getting some pointers on any instances where shipbuilding has been shown or detailed in the EU - not for huge capital ships, but smaller craft like shuttles, yachts, and light freighters. I'm curious whether these classes of vessels always need to have some level of corporate involvement or if individuals are capable of constructing an entire ship (to professional standards) themselves. Building a real life car from scratch is a major undertaking, though possible for a group of people. Making a whole spaceship from scratch, though...[Han] that's something else. [/Han]

Off the top of my head I can only remember big corps like Kuat Drive Yards, SoroSuub, etc.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I need a badass bodyguard for a crime lord and want to use somebody from a warrior society/group, any suggestions on what society/group I could use? Beside morgukai and mandolorians who I have other plans for.
    My personal canon is that Duros shipping (or one of its subsidiaries) produce space ship parts that buyers then ensembles to their own spaceships to fit their own physical and esthetical needs. This way many smaller systems that lack the capability to have a real space shipyard can still produce their own ships.

gracesonnet likes this.
  10. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Thanks, that's a good start. I wasn't sure how plausible it would be for a single person - no matter how much of a mechanical prodigy he or she might be - to tackle making an entire ship themselves, and barring that, I haven't yet come across passages in the EU describing the processes of shipbuilding at a corporate facility. I suppose I could do some research on real-life car or airliner factories, as that would be better than nothing. I don't want to feature this in a fic without knowing some proper terms for equipment, building processes, etc.

11. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008

You could try the Noghri

Kahara likes this.
  12. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    How about the Mistryl?

Kahara and Mando-Man like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think of them as something that you either find by the side of Vader's bloodline or trying to reform a civilisation in the new circumstances they have found themselves in, so no.

[face_thinking] maybe.

Also, another group I can not use are the findesmen.

14. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Greetings All,

Does anyone remember what, if anything, Luke knew about Shmi in the EU? Ok, I guess it is now called Legends. Grrrrr....

I remember Leia got Shmi's diary in Tatooine Ghost, but is has been a lot of years since I read that. And I am not sure what he knew before Leia contacted him regarding that.

I guess I read too much fan fiction and don't trust what I remember. LOL!

Bri Edit: I've moved this thread into the Fanfic Writer's Desk. In the future, please post questions like this in this thread. Thanks!

15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I don't think it was ever addressed in the EU, but my headcanon is that Luke had to know about Shmi. Her grave is right there at the homestead, and I think it's implied Owen had a pretty good relationship with her (Beru too most likely).

He would have heard about her growing up, although what he was actually told about how she (and he) fit into the family is another question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahara likes this.
  16. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Thanks for the reply JadeLotus. That is what I think, but I am still not sure where that came from. Fan Fiction or Books? I think I will have to reread Tatooine Ghost. Nuts.

Sue

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I just checked Tatooine Ghost jedi1952. The conversation between Luke and Leia is in chapter 8 and it doesn't mention Shmi.

18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's been years since I've read Tatooine Ghost, but I don't recall any conversation between Leia and Luke about Shmi. I don't think it is ever mentioned in the EU that Luke knew about Shmi, HOWEVER given that she was buried on the farm that he grew up on, logic dictates that he probably knew about her in some sort of context growing up.

19. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Quick question--did the Eta-5 Interceptors have on-board hyperdrive or did they need the booster rings? Can't remember.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Pick whatever works best for you. A read of Wookieepedia's article on the Eta-5 indicates that no official source has specified that or even shown them in hyperspace. They've only been shown in dogfighting within the Corellian system (Betrayal) and in saving the Kessel caverns (Outcast).

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm terrible about remembering stuff like that, but the Wookiepedia article doesn't say anything about having a hyperdrive so I'd say no (along with having minimal shielding, which also gives me that idea), though the article doesn't say it doesn't have a hyperdrive so take that as you will.

Edit: Nija'd!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
  23. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    What is the Mandalorian philosophy on revenge? Particularly on an act of vengeance committed by a Mando in Republic space?

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Mandos don't care about your previous life. To them, you basically start over when you become a Mando. Any crime committed in Republic space would not be considered a crime by Mandos.

25. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    This I recall, but my character is a mando who, because he loved an areutiise woman, married her, remaining in Republic space, and after she was murdered he hunted down and killed her murderer.

The Mandalorian then returns to Mando space. Would he be considered a traitor by his people for having left the fold, so to speak, by marrying an outsider?