main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm not poor.

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    History, specifically post-Cold War U.S. military history and foreign policy. I am (hopefully) going to write my Masters thesis on U.S. interventionist policies. As for food, I'm currently living on what my parents sent with me. It is decreasing at a rather faster rate than I thought it would. Thankfully I get my first assistantship check at the end of the month.

On a semi-related topic, one of the books I'm reading (The History of White People) has introduced me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaine_de_Sta%C3%ABl]Germaine[/url] de Staël. I'm going to be most upset if she isn't at least mentioned in Assassin's Creed: Unity.

Cynical_Ben and Findswoman like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I hear ya man.

[​IMG]

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have been drowning in grad school for over a year already, so I know the feeling.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I can't swim, so I know the feeling, too.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, it got very real in here very quick. Good luck with your grad school work and such; I'd send you free food but Ulicus has raised a good counterargument. Food is illusory. If you are what you eat, and you eat nothing, then you are nothing. And if you are nothing, then how can you be hungry? That's how you beat the system.

More cheerfully, here's what I think Han Solo vs. Zsinj should've really looked like:

7. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Heh, imagining Zsinj drunk is great... I wonder how many of the curse words in his rant he would have slurred?

8. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been imagining Zsinj drunk as his default mode.

No idea why.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So, I have finally settled in here to Hawaii to start my PhD and can start talking on the internet again.

I have also have been catching up on my historical reading, and let me just say that reading about the historical White Lotus rebellions, especially the origin of the term Red Lotus, has been especially interesting in light of Korra.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Because it's more awesome that way? This fat, mustachio'd drunken guy running amok all over the galaxy like the guy who had a little too much at the post-Endor rave...

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    darthscott3457 likes this.
  14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I think I'd have a problem with the "then you are nothing" part. Sounds painful.
    I am tutoring new students who start next week. I believe the correct beginning speech is "Hahahahaha" and then telling that you should not drink alcohol the night before tests.
    Funnily enough we are told to ask of their views about consuming alcohol, the student organizations are trying to move slowly away from the drunken student imago. Meanwhile the technician student songbook is about 70% drinking songs, the rest are humorous songs about funny parts of human anatomy.

Gamiel likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The thing I hated most about freshers week was... it was the first week, and you had reps constantly forcing you out until god knows what hour... but then the university still expected you to show up for 9 o'clock registration things. And, it's like, "What? But I was out until 5 and I need to unclog the sink of violently pink vomit! And I need to get the stains out of this pirate costume before I return it!"

They should have just made the first week pure hedonism with no work and started all the serious academic stuff the week after.

16. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    The freshers week here is mostly some introductory lessons in the middle of the day with your tutor group. The first parties are when the actual lessons start.

...there's a reason here somewhere. But I have never liked the late hour parties so that was not a problem for me.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That was actually what Imperial did when I was there: the entire first week was non-academic.

Ulicus likes this.
  18. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I went to a uni students' club meeting thing as a special guest and it made me miss being at uni (although it wasn't the uni I went to).

19. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    If I ever win a lottery (hard because I never bet) I would stay a student but wouldn't stress up of courses so much. Maybe take a couple courses per semester, study different fields and so on, without being afraid that I get my allowances cut. Studying could be fun (see everyone's knowledge of SW here) if there was less of it.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Helan går,
    sjung hopp falleri faderallan lej,
    helan går,
    sjung hopp faderallan lej
    Och den som inte helan tar
    han inte heller halvan får
    Helan gåååååååår
    sjung hopp faderallan lej.

Halvan går
    sjung hopp falleri faderallan lej
    halvan går
    sjung hopp faderallan lej
    Och den som inte halvan tar,
    han heller inte tersen får,
    Halvan gååååår,
    sjung hopp faderallan lej.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Being in undergrad was fun, once I figured out what I was doing. Postgrad, not so much. Enjoyed the people, enjoyed learning etc but the goal of the thing didn't seem to have much to do with learning.

22. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Vi ska dricka hela natten alkohol
    Vi ska dricka hela natten alkohol
    Vi ska dricka hela natten
    Vi ska dricka inte vatten
    Vi ska dricka hela natten alkohol!

Dinners are certainly the best student parties there is, they even end early in the evening so you know when you should stop. One time I went to a bar afterward and beside finding it to be much more boring (it was impossible to talk over the music) I also found the next day be absolutely dreadful. I'm never drinking again. If people had to suffer hangover before they were allowed to drink they would drink a lot less.

TrakNar and Gamiel like this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    If only Nottingham had been so sensible.

I had the opposite experience. The year I did my MA was when University finally became what I had expected, instead of just "slightly harder A-Levels in bigger lecture halls".

A much more intimate environment, where the lines between teacher and student were blurred. Our seminars were frequently in held in the staff club (a private pub on campus, more or less) and we'd lounge around discussing the subject matter with cheeses, wines and/or ales. Superb.

Or sometimes we'd just discuss the graphic novel I'd lent my phenomenology tutor the week before. :D

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh. Yeah literal opposite -- small classes and frequent socializing with profs in undergrad (excluding science, math, and other general lecture classes) with huuuuge impersonal lectures in postgrad. I had a more elaborate social circle there though, while in undergrad it was just hanging out during school hrs only.

Though it was fun going to In 'N Out to study for Latin exams. First step was always figuring out what minimum grade we'd need to still secure an A, and then go shooting for the top grade anyway. :p

Would've preferred your wine and cheese but oh well. We didn't have such luxuries on campus. We had to go out for food mostly since they kept rebuilding the student center. We did get a pub my final year though -- prof took us after our final.

25. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    The history department at my university is so small that most of the classes are pretty tiny with frequent socializing at both the undergrad and graduate levels between students and professors. Its worked out pretty well for me like that: I know all the professors in the department pretty well because I've taken at least one class with all of them, so I know what to expect from their grad level assignments (except for the head of the department, but that's what happens when the only undergrad courses he teaches are on ancient China and Japan at 8 am).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.