main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions ★=- "The Wonderful World of Pinocchio"-=★ The Art of Disney Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    There is a high chance that Disney had been a major part of all our childhoods, whether it was seeing their animated feature films on the big screen or coming home from school and watching their afternoon shows on the TV or a family holiday to one of their parks.

This is the place to discuss your love for Disney, the art styles, techniques, influences, the impact they had made and anything in between.

We plan to cover all the major animated feature films in release order, starting with Snow White at the start of September and then carry on all the way through to now, including the Pixar films and classics like DuckTales.

For now, what is your list of Top Ten favourite Disney films? Which is your favourite art style and what is your fondest Disney memory?

HanSolo29 likes this.
  2. Bespin-refugee

Bespin-refugee Jedi Master star 1

Oct 24, 2002
    My all-time favorite Disney film is Beauty & The Beast, followed by, in no particular order: The Rescuers, The Jungle Book, Aladdin, Lady & the Tramp, Fantasia, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Peter Pan, and of course, Toy Story and The Incredibles.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yay! So glad to see this posted! I was really looking forward to this thread, being a huge Disney fan and all!

Wow...it's really hard to pick a top ten. My top 3 are all in order, but after that, it's a toss-up:

1. Aladdin (Mary Poppins would normally occupy this spot, but since it's mostly live-action, I'm not going to count it)
    2. The Lion King
    3. Tangled
    4. Beauty and the Beast
    5. The Little Mermaid
    6. The Jungle Book
    7. Frozen
    8. Alice in Wonderland
    9. Hercules
    10. Peter Pan

4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It is hard to pick a list in order. I can easily say what my top three starting with The Lion King as my all-time favourite, followed closely by Aladdin and Tangled. After my top three… the order keeps shifting and hard to pin down and it changes with time.

1. The Lion King
    2. Aladdin
    3. Tangled
    • Robin Hood
    • Lilo & Stitch
    • Pocahontas
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • The Incredibles
    • Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    • Frozen
    With honourable mentions to DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, The Tigger Movie, Tarzan and The Rescuers Down Under. I know… I broke my list :pand can list several more to put in.

I remember being taken to see The Lion King in cinemas, it was like the best thing ever and every film after that in my opinion back then seemed to not reach the standards that The Lion King had set in my mind. Jump forward with the 3D release, pretty much everyone there was my age and most were singing along to the songs.

Art style is hard to pick. I always seem to go towards the style that was done in The Lion King with the way the characters are represented and the beautiful landscapes. Lilo & Stitch is another one where everything is curved or round edged, I don't think they have any sharp edges in that film and the colour palette reminds me of the summer.

5. myztic

myztic Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2014
    I can only name 2 Disney movies that for me will stand above the rest for all of time and they are:

1. Aladdin
    2. The Lion King

The below is is just awesome movies in no particular order:
    • Peter Pan
    • Hercules
    • The Little Mermaid
    • The Jungle Book
    • Frozen
    • Alice in Wonderland
    • Tangled
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Finding Nemo
    • Toy Story
    • Monsters Inc
    • Up
    • Mulan
    The list could go on but then again i would be naming all the Disney Movies.
    :D

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Aladdin's my all time favorite. I saw it 8 times in the theater and I was 10 when it came out.

7. myztic

myztic Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2014

Of course, Aladdin is the best... Even better then The Lion King :D

[​IMG]

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Each to their own :p There is something in each film that resonates differently for everyone. :)

How do you find the sequels? Return of Jafar and King of Thieves?

The games on the SNES around that time were great too. I know that for The Lion King game, they had help and feedback from the Disney Animation Studio in regards to the colours, animations and locations. That waterfall level was based off a scene that was meant to be in the film. The Aladdin game reminded me of the Prince of Persia.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I liked King of Thieves better, primarily because of Robin Williams returning as Genie and Saluk's song, "Are You In Or Out?"

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Looking over everyone's lists, I see there are plenty of films that I missed! I told you this was impossible to pick just ten! :p

In regards to the sequels, I have to admit, the ones that I found of having any substance were Return of Jafar and King of Thieves. Perhaps that is due to my love for Aladdin overall, but I found myself watching those just as much as the regular theatrical films. And of course, I can't forget the Aladdin animated series.

11. Bespin-refugee

Bespin-refugee Jedi Master star 1

Oct 24, 2002
  12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I love how Disney puts little surprises in their films like Rapunzel in Frozen or that poster of Mulan in Nani's room/that plush Dumbo in Lilo's room in Lilo & Stitch.

It is hard to pick a top list of ten. After I had posted my list, I realised that I had forgotten Brother Bear, Brave, Wreck-it Ralph and Mulan!

The Aladdin sequels and animated series are quite good, I wish there was a way to get the box set of the series. I did get a kick out of the fact that John Rhys-Davies did the voice of the King of Thieves in The King of Thieves and that Jason Alexander did the voice of Abis Mal in The Return of Jafar.

13. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Bambi. Hands down.

That film is one giant impressionist painting. If you can ever get your hands on the rare "The Art of Bambi" book, it's filled with wonderful stories about the care that was put into the film. Walt was very particular about animating the animals realistically - which did not take well with the animators at first. They wanted to make them much more cartoon like (think, Snow White animals). I know that Bambi is often poked fun at, but if you actually go ahead and watch it again, (alone is best) you'll see what a true gem it is. It's also Walt's favorite. :)

"It was a difficult picture because we’d never done any animal with anatomy and Walt wanted the deer to be very believable." - Ollie Johnston, Animator
    "Walt’s idea was to get all of his artists to draw in the way of the old masters and then put them to animation. They started bringing in real animals and having them on the sound stages and it became a zoo in itself." - Mel Shaw, Animator

I'm a huge Disney nerd. My beau and I love to quote it, sing the songs, watch Disney YTPs, and make in-jokes.

Lion King is my childhood favorite, I was the perfect age to celebrate it when it came out.
    My other big favorite is the live-action Jungle Book. Looking forward to the new remakes coming out in the next few years!

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I love to get my hands on that "Art of Bambi" book. I am slowly building up my collection of the "Art of" books though the further back you go, the hard it is to get a hold of them unless they do a remastered or rereleased version like they are doing with the Legacy albums to celebrate the anniversary of a film. I have seen one for Snow White which goes into the art and history of the film and there appears to be more on the way. Bambi is another film in which I need to renew my memories on as I think the last time I saw it was when they re-released it back in cinemas in '93 and it couldn't compete to the sound of the Tyrannosaur from Jurassic Park in the cinema next to us.

I've read the Jungle Book so I wonder which tales from it will be told in the non Disney version. I have noticed that there seem be quite a few live action versions of the classic animated features. Of course we know Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent. We've got The Jungle Book and Cinderella coming soon too and I've heard there are more in development like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and a few others though not sure which studios are involved with those ones.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Will be kicking off the discussion for Snow White soon but want to give a nod to Mickey Mouse and his brother, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit as those two are the foundations that lead to the first animated feature length film being produced.

Leading up the release of Epic Mickey (a video game series that is a wonderful tribute to the history of Mickey and Disney) in 2010, a few behind the scenes material came out that covers the early history of Mickey and Oswald which I'll share one of them here and let Warren Spector speak about that.

Mickey's official public debut was in 1928 with Steamboat Willie. He became one of the most recognisable cartoon characters of all time and in 14 years time he will be celebrating his 100th birthday.

Bespin-refugee likes this.
  15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    With the success of the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies, Walt Disney wanted to get into feature length productions. In 1934, pre-production started on the first feature length animated film in history…

[​IMG]

I'll just touch upon a few details to get the discussion started.
    • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was based off the Grimms fairy tale, Snow White, first published in 1812.
    • It took three years to create, from concept to the final film.
    • It premiered December, 1937 before getting a general release in February 1938 with great success, becoming the top film of its time.
    Behind the Scenes Feature

Original Trailer

Bespin-refugee likes this.
  16. myztic

myztic Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2014
    Snow White.
    I remember seeing this as a kid in school, it wasn't the first Disney Movie that i saw, but it was good none the less.
    Now i know this is based of a Brother's Grimm novel, i haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet, but i hear it is really good.
    Now as with all tales, this movie does set a trend for the way that Walt Disney transformed it in the a great work of art. It is well written, and the graphics is only limited by the available technology at the time, but then again, Disney was ahead of his time.

The thing that i like about This movie it that is a well told story, one you can follow it and come back to it after so many years and still remember a piece of your childhood.

Also the fact that Snow white has gone on to make adaptions in the Hollywood movies, such as mirror mirror and snow white and the huntsmen are just two examples of movies pay homage to the original movie from the 1930's.

Thanks.

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    To be completely honest, I've only really seen this film maybe once or twice all the way through. I do own the blu-ray, but I don't watch it very much. But at the same time, I was absolutely obsessed with Snow White when I was little. I had tons of toys and I was even Snow White for Halloween the one year and it was all thanks to a special that aired on the Wonderful World of Disney at the time - Golden Anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was set in Disneyland and hosted by Dick Van Dyke. There used to be a video on YouTube, but it appears to be gone. This is the only thing I could find on it: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Anniversary_of_Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs

My parents had taped it for me and I ran that tape until it broke. I just find it funny that I was so hooked on this special, but never really got into the actual film itself.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am in the same boat as you in terms of viewership HS29. I do know the story of Snow White well yet the last time that I had seen it was on VHS and I would have been in early primary school. That special would have been great to see and Dick Van Dyke is always great.

I do find it amazing how ingrained some stories can be and stick with us long after hearing/reading/experiencing it. If I was asked to recount the story of Snow White, the first thing that comes to my mind is either the poison apple scene or the "mirror mirror on the wall" where the Queen is jealous of Snow White's beauty and then more and more details come to mind (I'll spare you my recount the film though that could be amusing to do :p). Because it is an adaption of a classic story, we know that there be some alterations of the story for it to translate better for the medium or creative licence was used to make it more contemporary for the audience at the time.

We have seen variations on these plot elements before in other productions (like in Shrek, Mirror Mirror) as what myztic had mentioned. That is probably why it has kept with us, even though we haven't seen the full film since childhood… and also todays technology bringing content to our fingertips.

What elements has stuck with you, regarding the film or the story it was based upon?

19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    "Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"​
    Character Designs
    Let us delve into the characters of Snow White. With the concept art, you can see the development of ideas regarding the characters from their early iterations to the final design. The style changed as the production developed and into something we all recognise. Here are just a few samples of the art they had produced.

Early character concepts
    [​IMG]

Snow White
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Dwarfs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Queen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Character Designs

[​IMG]
    (Artist: Fred Moore)

[​IMG]
    (Artist: Joe Grant)

Early concept to final design
    [​IMG]
    Source: Disney Concepts and Stuff

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There were some works from Fred Moore and Joe Grant in that last post. The works featured in this post are from Swedish artist, Gustaf Tenggren, who had worked on the visual development of the locations and also the marketing material for Snow White. He also influenced the visual design for practically every location in Pinocchio and also worked on Bambi… More on that as we cover those films soon.

Castle
    [​IMG]
    Woods
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well
    [​IMG]
    Work
    [​IMG]
    Cottage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
  22. myztic

myztic Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2014

The early concept designs for Snow White are really good, they show the progress that was taken in order to bring out the characters.
    I do have my opinions.

From the early designs i think they have gone away from what they wanted, the early designs show more darker character for the Queen, which would have been good too see. We have seen multiple versions over the years and of course it has changed to suit what the creative mind at work for each of the adaptations, maybe it was too dark for its times. Darker version have come since, but they don't tell the story the same way.

Like all good disney movies thought, they each tell a story that is strong to its characters. The artwork is really good, is it their best? Have to be honest and say no but it is still good overall.

Cheers

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you for your thoughts myztic

That is an interesting thought that the Queen was more darker in the early concept designs than what we saw on film, I wonder if that was deliberate to not completely go with that early in the film and build up to the darker elements of the woods and such later on.

Their work leading up to the development of Snow White had been stylised and cartoony with the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies and they artists had to unlearn what they had learnt as Walt pushed for a more realistic direction with a more European influence for Snow White.

Of course, this film was the start of wonderful things to come and today (21st) marks the 77th Anniversary of the premiere of the film. Happy Birthday Snow White! :)

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope everyone is feeling well rested after the holiday break. :)

[​IMG]

• It was their second animated film to come out and was released on the 23rd February, 1940
    • It was based on an Italian children's story from 1883, The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
    • The film was not a box office success during it's initial run due to the outbreak of WWII, in later rereleases it became a success

Trailer​

It has been a very long time since I've last saw this film… I would have been still in primary school. I think I've seen it once or twice and pieces of it over the years. To me, it is darker in nature regarding some of the subjects that are depicted in it, especially with the kids being taken away and doing things they should not be doing and the consequences of that. The art was done really well and especially regarding the motion the waves and the environments.

What are your thoughts on the film?

25. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    "Pinocchio" is a creeper. While I adore The Fox Creeper and Little Mute Cat Creeper, the entire film is just a little too…too much. Whales, fat dudes, angry cat, old men in nightshirts, tortured donkeys, kids smoking stogies… TOO MUCH MAN!