main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    The forum loads none of the normal stuff that you see on a JC. A picture a worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Thank you for increasing the size of my vocabulary tonight. :) I had to Google that because Dictionary.com didn't have it.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thuro - that's weird. What device/OS/browser are you using to access the boards when that happens?

4. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I fixed it by clearing my cache. If anyone else has the same problem let them know :).

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sounds good. Glad that worked!

6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Should hitting the reply button on a post automatically quote it? That never works for me; I always have to manallyuse quote tags.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's supposed to, yes. What browser are you using?

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Internet Exploder 11 has a known bug with quoting that manifests across multiple forum software platforms, including XenForo. Using a real browser like Firefox or Chrome fixes it.

9. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    So I'm trying to reset my email address but I can't remember my password. I usually just log in with Facebook. Is there some way to get around this?

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If the current email address in your account here is still active you can try using the 'forgot password' function. Enter that email address (not your user id) and issue the request. Hopefully you will get an email with a link for a reset. If that doesn't work drop one of us admins a PM and we'll help you out.

11. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006

Sorry...where is the 'forgot password' function? I am not seeing it in my account, under the password page.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you're just trying to change your password here and you're already logged in you should be able to do that on your account password page. I don't have a FB account so I don't log in that way. If you want to use 'Forgotten Password' try the method below. Maybe I'm not understanding your issue since I log straight in here.

Log out of here and go to http://boards.theforce.net/lost-password/ . You'll see a place to enter your user name or email address (use the email address on your account) and you'll have to answer a verification question. (Don't worry - they are SW-related). Just a note though - if you change your password here and it doesn't match your one on FB it might mess up your ability to log in that way. (Any help here from FB users would be welcome).

13. Darkwriter

Jan 28, 2006
    It worked. I had noticed before that my Facebook email and the email/password I had on here were different, so I was just trying to rectify that to avoid potential problems. Thank you!

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad to help!

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that Elasticsearch died around 12:30 PM Pacific Time yesterday. I've sent the SOS email to Grahame but he probably won't see it for a couple of hours at least as he's East Coast USA..

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Further to the above, Grahame restarted Elasticsearch a few hours ago.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  18. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    This has been my problem too. I thought maybe it was my device but now I'm thinking not. Thank you for any help or improvements to the site! :]

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love it when I'm quoted for a post nearly 2 years ago. [face_dancing]

That said, my problem then was that I was clicking links to the now unused Temp Jedi Council Forums. If you are also clicking links to the Temp boards, then the solution is not to click those links. Or, if you are going to browse the Temp boards, do so in a different browser. AKA, open the regular JCF in Internet Explorer and open the Temp boards in Firefox.

Otherwise I wouldn't know. LAJ_FETT would probably know best.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    You can also access the temp boards through this link without getting logged out here (notice the different subdomain). That's the subdomain I have bookmarked, and also the one linked to by Wookieepedia in citations to temp board posts.

21. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Thank both of you for offering your help! I believe I'm referring to just JCF - I'm not sure what you mean by temp boards. :/ Sorry! After logging into JCF often when I'm trying to make an action like posting, liking, or even sometimes just viewing my alerts, it gives me a message in a box that pops up "Sorry you must be logged in to perform this action" but you can tell by looking at the screen which is showing my user name that I am logged in. I end up logging in many times before it stops giving me that message. Thank you for any help!

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You can try clearing any cookies associated with 'boards.theforce.net' and see if that helps. Also when you log in tick the 'Keep me logged in' box.

DL44Jo likes this.
  23. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    I tried the second suggestion - selecting 'stay logged in' before and unfortunately doesn't keep me logged in. My laptop died and while I've been trying to replace it I have been using my Windows smart phone so would I be correct in saying that would null and void the first suggestion about the cookies? I have only been in JCF for less than a month so I have only used my phone while in here. Sorry about this and thank you or anyone for any help you can give!

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, smart phone web browsers work essentially the same way that regular web browsers do, so a cache and cookie clear may do the trick.

DL44Jo likes this.
  25. DL44Jo

Aug 7, 2014
    Ok thanks a lot - I'll give that a try! And thanks goes to you too Laj_Fett for suggesting it!

LAJ_FETT likes this.