main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Do it!

<— may not be the most helpful person to answer, I have no experience with this.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I suppose it depends on whether or not this bio has any bearing on how management and HR sees you—as in, will anything you say be looked at and considered if/when promotion/raise time comes around? If so, I'd leave it off. If not, on the other hand...feel free. ;)

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_thinking] Well, ever since I heard the word 'fanfiction' mentioned on TV's 'Monk,' I've thought that it is becoming mainstream, soooooo .... maybe? [face_dunno]

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I say do it. What's it going to hurt? It means you have a fun and unique hobby.

5. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    This thread feels like it's missing something...

[​IMG]

Ah, there it is. :p

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I probably wouldn't say I write fanfiction because that always gets people thinking about comic con, cosplayers and other superfans.. I tell people I belong to an online writers group and we write stories for each other to read. I guess if they asked to see my work I'd tell them my screen name is ginchy. [face_laugh] She writes much better than I do. ;)

7. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Hey! [face_rofl]

Sometimes it's hard being a fic writer, though. You spend all your time writing, but if you don't want to tell people you're writing fanfic, what do you say? It ends up looking like you're just wasting time or not doing anything, when in fact you're crafting stories and chatting with friends. It's a strange situation!

8. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    You could say you're a...social writer. ;)

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I've always considered my fanfic misadventures to be a form of literary training—which is to say, honing my basic skillset and experimenting with advanced techniques—for use in pursuing the kinds of original fiction stories that I want to tell. Therefore, you know you're a fan fiction writer when...

...you believe that the fandom you write for can serve as a substitute backdrop for other kinds of tales.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...you've put serious consideration into cosplaying as your characters.

...you've actually cosplayed as your characters at some point.

Oh god I am so very guilty of this. *hides in closet of shame*

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Now I have to ask: which character(s) and when?

12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I've made custom dolls/action figures of a few of mine, some with handmade clothing—which I guess is kind of sort of a little like cosplaying on a smaller scale... sort of... right?

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've made custom RPG miniatures, too. D:

14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    YKYAFFW when....while people watching, you use them as a template for potential OCs.

Random Comments, TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Sounds to me like a technique that need not be limited to amateurs and/or fanfic writers... ;)

16. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Very true.
    I just caught myself placing them in the GFFA and thought "what a fanfic writer thing to do!" :p

Random Comments and Goodwood like this.
  17. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    How about 'write and critique works of fiction with fellow fans'? If you want to put that out there, sure, go for it. I know of someone who put "Best Fanfiction Winner" on a book cover of his own (original fiction) on the advice of someone else... still don't get that one, really.

You know you're a fic writer when you watch cats at an animal shelter play with toys to provide better characterization for your feline OC because you don't actually HAVE a cat and haven't for ten years.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    ...you get super-excited when one of your ongoing fics gets over 9000 views, in accordance with the meme.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

It's over 9000!!!

Even reviews/replies reach fifty or more.

Goodwood likes this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Bloody forum...please delete.

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Probably been said before but what the hoo-hah:

YKYAFFWW...

...you create a character and name it, then promptly forget how to pronounce that character's surname or, worse, the entire name. Bonus points if you can't work out the original intent even after having a go at trying once more (i.e., finding the name and reading it to yourself).

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you give a recurring OC a last name and forget what it is, remembering only because the last name was mentioned in a drabble set.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...when you buy a pack of pens for the express purpose of writing fanfics.

Doubt I'll get anything written, but at least I have pens!

pronker and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I have a bad tendency toward this myself, because my own real-life surname is in this category for a lot of people.

25. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

I actually bought a pack of pens and a new three subject notebook for writing ideas for fan fics.