main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics The Holiday Special - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Exar_Xan, Feb 23, 2003.

1. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I would watch it if I knew where I could find it.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The cartoon about Boba Fett is great, the rest is crap.

When I first saw it I was totally unaware of its reputation and had looked at it for years as a lost Holy Grail of Star Wars (I knew about it from the first edition of the Essential Guide to Characters book). Words cannot convey how profoundly disappointed I was when I actually watched it.

3. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I found it very difficult to watch in one piece - eye cancer alert!
    And while it's unbelievably terrible (compared to 'The Holiday Special', 'Metalstorm - the Destruction of Jared Syn' and 'Shockwaves' are Acedemy Award candidates)', it's also hilarious.

And CANON, of course. Disney-level canon I mean! [face_monkey]

4. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Tried watching the Holiday Special with my sons today. This wasn't my first attempt, but it was for my kids. I don't think we made it half way. I have seen the cartoon segment on the movie collection blu ray before and enjoyed it, but we couldn't manage to make it that far today. I'll have to skip ahead to the cantina segment in my next attempt. All the Wookiee stuff is brutal to get through.

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  5. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    The only way I'll watch the holiday special is like this:

as for Ewoks, I did quite enjoy the animated series growing up. If Disney does have the rights, I'd love to see a complete series release. Not that I'm holding my breath or anything. They do seem to have a hard time putting out complete series of anything on DVD (still waiting for the complete Adventures of the Gummi Bears...)

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Cartoon was ok, but finally I kept hearing of a live action version just last year or so (been a fan a long time, never heard anyone mention it). Now I see why after Youtube'n it last winter. Wife even checked it out and we both think someone was high when they made it. To have all those costumes and the actors back, you would've thought someone better would have been of it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    If I'm not mistaken, The Holiday Special is where the name Kashyyyk was first mentioned, then sure enough nearly 27ish years later it ended up as canon in ROTS. Now that's what you call leaving a legacy.

I also wondered why they never marketed the soft toy bantha Lumpy has, that thing would've made a killin in the shops ... especially if had a removable head :p

8. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    It's not on youtube sadly where can I see it?

9. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    It's on youtube in parts. Search star wars holiday special part 1 and it should be the first video.

Is it bad that I couldn't even get through the first two parts?

10. MrRC-Sev

Aug 21, 2014
    I just tried watched the first part, i couldn't get through the first 5 minutes.

11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Well, the important thing is that you tried. But seriously, I'm curious as to how anyone managed to make it through that.

12. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    I saw parts of it yesterday with that nostalgia critic video. It was so bad it was funny. And what the hell is wrong with that wookie getting a hard on by that virtual reality chick?

13. MrRC-Sev

Aug 21, 2014
    I hate lumpy he's an idiot

14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010

That's the only way I'll watch it, or even parts of it, is in his review of it.

Hmm...now that you've brought it up I have to watch it again.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've seen it, thought it was very bizarre and I can see why it aired only once. The animated portion with Fett wasn't too bad though.

16. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    My friend actually just watched some of this because he's insane. He described the experience as receiving a visual lobotomy.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  17. MrRC-Sev

Aug 21, 2014
    I could barely see it becuase of the 240p quality.

18. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I may be the only unfortunate soul on these forums who's sat through the whole thing twice. Honestly, I'm surprised I have enough brain cells left in my head to form these sentences.

19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Who made you sit through it twice? o_O That sounds like the most horrible thing ever.

20. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I watched it on my own the first time, at an age when I liked anything and everything with Star Wars in the name. The second time was earlier this summer, when a few friends and I were just really bored one day. We were all aware of it's reputation, but we all either hadn't seen it or had forgotten mostly about it. We put bets down as to who could make it through the longest. Two of my friends couldn't handle it and left after the scene with the wookiee and his erotic video. Unfortunately, my last friend and I both sat through the whole thing. We broke the tie by watching Batman and Robin; sadly I lost that one rather quickly.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Wow. You have more courage then me friend. I couldn't even last the first five minutes.

vstarvan likes this.
  22. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I watched it for the first time about six months ago. My copy had the commercials left in. I think it marked the first time I fast forwarded through the program and watched the commercials.

23. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It is something that every Star Wars fan must see at least once...for better or worse.

24. scruffylookingnerf

scruffylookingnerf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2014
    Even at the time when I loved every Star Wars-related thing with unconditional love, this was the one and only thing I wasn't able to sit through. I haven't watched it in its entirety to this day.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It is really tough. I almost made it a few months ago but it really is terrible quality.