main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah starting with the novel is fine I read it long before I joined the game and understood it.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    hope you like it, the only novel in that series i liked was Annihliation, and most people did not like it

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Avoid Brian Wood's Star Wars- despite occasionally having some very good character moments, the overall pacing, plot, internal consistency, continuity (with any canon) and visual storytelling is generally a huge mess and leaves nothing but missed opportunities.

Vader's Quest is decent- more notable for the events in them (Vader finding out Luke's identity) than how it's told, but it's slightly above average I suppose.

If you're craving OT-era comics, I'd suggest the Empire/Rebellion series- Empire starts strong, hits a lull for a couple volumes, then finds it's stride which is carries forward into Rebellion.

The only downside is that the series doesn't get much of an overall ending- just two issues as part of the Vector crossover. But the various standalone arcs prior to that are still worth checking out and even it's main ongoing plots do things that, on the surface, may seem similar to stories told in Star Wood, but they are accomplished/executed so much better it isn't even funny.

Though set between trilogies, I'd actually suggest Darth Vader and the Ghost prison- not only is it is a damn good comic, but it'll both give you a Vader fix and double as a distant prequel/backstory for the first arc of the Empire series.

For some different suggestions, there's also the Dark Forces: Soldier For the Empire graphic novella. It's not a comic but does feature several full-page illustrations. Also the first 3 volumes of "Classic Star Wars" (not to be confused with the Marvel-reprinting "Classic Star Wars: A Long Time Ago..."), though they are most likely to be overwritten by the newer continuity material like the new Marvel/Star Warvel titles.

4. Darth Death 9

Darth Death 9 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2014

Ive just began reading star wars books and ive decided to give the thrawn trilogy ago

However can someone private message meon the best books ti read that cover the life or background
    of
    Darth maul
    Mace wkndu
    Darth malgus
    Dartg nihilus
    Vitaite
    The whole events of the sacking of corusant and the whole plot of that popular mmo star wars the old Republic

Also Yoda's background adventures

5. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Darth Death 9

For Maul you're going to want the books Darth Plagueis, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and Maul: Lockdown, as well as the Darth Maul comic miniseries (just called Darth Maul).

There's not much about Windu, actually. I think there's one issue of Star Wars Tales with him, and then the book Shatterpoint, which is Windu-centric and set during the Clone Wars.

For Malgus and Vitiate, look at any of the Star Wars: The Old Republic novels. Also, watch the Hyperspace Timelines and SWTOR trailers on YouTube. However, you're going to miss most everything if you don't play the game or watch playthroughs.

Darth Nihilus is only in the Knights of the Old Republic 2 video game.

6. BUZZINHARD

BUZZINHARD Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2014
    What got me started was the X-wing series and I didnt stop until I read all the novels. Though now i understand that the comics are important. So ill have to get into that juicy bit of Star Wars next.

7. MindoftheSith

MindoftheSith Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2014
    Hi.

I'm new to these forums, and I came here looking for some advice.

I was just wondering what peoples' recommendation would be for post-Return of the Jedi comics and books. Which should I read to continue the story of Luke, the Rebels, the Empire etc? I have a vague idea: Thrawn trilogy, Dark Empire, the Crimson Empire series, NJO. But I don't know if there are any others to fill in the gaps. I'm not looking for every single thing set after ROTJ, but for the major works which continue the story in chronological order in a way that is understandable to someone who doesn't know much about the era. So, any recommendations for works, and which order they should be read in?

Also, my favourite character is Count Dooku, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for books or comics which feature him heavily. I've read Dark Rendezvous, and the suggestions don't have to be as in depth about Dooku as that, but I'd like to see more of him in comic form. Any where he gets a lot of action is a plus!

Thanks for reading, and if you can offer any advice I'd be very grateful :).

8. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The Hand of Thrawn duology, which follows on several years later from The Thrawn Trilogy, for one. Well, two.

9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah Courtship of Princess Leia is pretty important. At least for Luke, power wise and Han and Leia's relationship. Thrawn Trilogy, NJO, Hand of Thrawn. even though it is not the best writing in the world, Jedi academy trilogy is pretty important, as well as I'Jedi.

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    The Corellian trilogy might also be worth reading if you're planning on reading the NJO.

11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

For Count Dooku, I'd recommend Darth Plagueis and Revenge of the Sith novelization. Especially ROTS, that book made me start to like Dooku. Now I haven't read it yet, but I hear Yoda: Dark Rendezvous is great for Dooku. And although it's been years, but I think Labyrinth of Evil had some good Dooku stuff in it.

For comics, there's his titled comic, Jedi: Count Dooku. I haven't read many of other comics with him yet, but I know he appears in several of the Republic comics. Try the three Clone Wars Omnibuses.

12. Clone Wars 82

Clone Wars 82 Jedi Padawan

Aug 5, 2014
    Are there any books of when the Jedi are not in was but doing justice and peace making in the republic? Because that's what the Jedis did till the clone wars and Vader destroyed them all at the end of the clone wars.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Approaching Storm and The Cestus Deception might qualify as "justice and peacemaking" stories.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think anyone would recommend The Approaching Storm under any less narrow criteria. ;)

The Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest/etc young adult series of books deal with the more typical planet-of-the-week Jedi missions, focusing on Qui-Gon/Obi-wan, then Obi-Wan/Anakin.

There's also a little bit of that in the pre-Clone Wars Republic (originally titled just "Star Wars") comics- Prelude to Rebellion, Outlander, Emissaries to Malastare, Twilight, Darkness, The Hunt for Aurra Sing, etc.

15. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I actually like the Approaching Storm on my second read through. It's not the creates Star Wars book, but it's by no means bad. Also, I love how Anakin is portrayed on that book.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I enjoyed the extended look at a single planet's diversity but it still bored me overall.

17. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think the characters are the best part. I wasn't to thrilled about Obi-Wan's characterization, but everyone we was good. Anakin impressed me the most because he's rarely handled well. The plot wasn't that bad either, I guess it was a little longer than it needed to be.

18. MindoftheSith

MindoftheSith Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions, I shall take them on board.

But any suggestions for chronological order, or best order in which to read? I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to reading things in some sort of order, I hate out of sync things :p

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Did you read Labyrinth of evil. badass novel

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is "The Star Wars" comic out yet ?

21. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The collected releases are, indeed.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    cheers , well I noticed its listed on amazon , but there are no reviews , which often makes me think that its been postponed or something .

is it any good ? who was the artist ?

23. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I haven't read it yet, sorry. I've heard good things about it, though.

24. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Question: im reading the Han Solo Trilogy right now, and I understand that each book of the Han Solo Adventures occurs at the italicized breaks in Rebel Dawn. Do i read the italics before or after the corresponding HSA book?

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    After. Interlude 1 refers to the events from HSA1, in past tense.