main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It is not their job to be bound by governments. The Force is not bound by states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mia Mesharad and DigitalMessiah like this.
  2. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    So if the Senate and Palpatine are both adults who can be blamed, why can't the Jedi? I mean sure, it's not completely their fault, but some of the blame does lie with them, as it does with the Senate and Palpatine. The Jedi became lapdogs, of a sort. They weren't supposed to serve the Senate solely. They were supposed to serve the galaxy equally. They also knew the laws, so why didn't they step in when they recognized Palpatine had gained too much power? Obviously it's foolish too place all blame on them, but it was as much their fault, in my eyes, as it was the Senate's and Palpatine's.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And Palpatine and the Senate are still responsible for their own decisions.

Responsibility does not end with the possibility of getting caught.

When I teach my children that they are responsible for their own choices, I never even bring in the idea of being caught making bad choices, because being caught isn't the point.

Shira A'dola : The Jedi were responsible for choices that they made, but I don't view intervening in Senate matters as their responsibility.

The citizens voted those Senators into office and could vote them out in the next election.

And does anyone have an EU source indicating when the Jedi started working for the Senate? I'm not familiar with Old Republic era stuff.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    Well no, and maybe it wasn't. Some would view it so, as it was endangering the galaxy, and they felt that. But that's a different debate. What was their responsibility was the fact that they'd become, as Sinre said, policemen for the senate. That wasn't they're job. They also didn't do much when Palpatine started interfering with the Jedi and that was certainly their jurisdiction. It was a huge part of why the Jedi fell.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No but the jedi are, since they are Republic organisation and they need the Republics backing to have the right to act as lawmen and -enforcers across the whole Republic space and they would not be called upon to serve as diplomats as often if they were not part of the Republic.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel like we're venturing into no true scotsman fallacy territory now where every single instance of the Jedi doing something wrong or otherwise ill-advised isn't their fault because it wasn't their responsibility anyway.

I mean, my whole original point, pre-Episode I, is that the galaxy is already primed to explode in civil war, which it does a decade later, because the Jedi haven't been guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, and really haven't done squat and let the galaxy get to the bad state it was in. Naboo had its sovereignty violated with an invasion, and the Jedi didn't do a damn thing about it. They assigned Qui-Gon as Padme's bodyguard once they reached Coruscant, but that wasn't doing anything about Naboo, because Padme was the one with the initiative and Qui-Gon broadly interpreted his mandate to help. There's even an insinuation in the film that ordinarily the Jedi wouldn't have even gone to Naboo as ambassadors, because Valorum sending the Jedi there was secret and illegal -- and since it was Qui-Gon that he sent, the maverick, it may not have even been approved per Jedi protocol either, which is why it was Qui-Gon that he sent.

But it's not their responsibility because the senate didn't let them or something I guess iunno.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They were part of the Republic at least as early as the Golden Age of the Sith

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    DigitalMessiah : Right. The Jedi were responsible for the workings of their own organization and how it behaved.

They were not responsible for the corruption in the Senate. The Senate was responsible for that.

I'm not seeing why this is such a problem.

Gamiel : Thanks for that.

If they were already working for the Republic then, and the Republic did not become the way it was in TPM overnight, it seems both silly and impractical for the Jedi to suddenly say "We're not going to be part of the Republic anymore."

And even sillier to say that they are responsible for Senate behavior that they had no part of, simply because they still worked for the Senate.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think that is what I am saying.
    Short answer: I don't agree with you; long answer: will have to wait for later.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    No, they're responsible for policing the galaxy. If crime takes over a city, is the police force not responsible, especially when they're not making any effort to y'know, police?

I mean, are the Jedi just innocent victims here that don't have any responsibility for anything at all?

Or does the corruption in the senate give the Jedi a free pass to do nothing?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The criminals are responsible for the crime in the city and are to be given total blame for it, regardless of what the police do, as the criminals are the ones committing the crimes.

If the police are not enforcing the law, they are held responsible for not enforcing the law, but not for the behavior of the criminals.

Regardless, the Jedi were not Palpatine's and the Senate's police force.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Uh, yeah they were. That's why they're having meetings with Palpatine about the security of the Republic at the start of Episode II. That's exactly what they were. They're keepers of the peace.

DoubleSith and Shira A'dola like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They were keepers of the peace for the Republic.

They worked for Palpatine and the Senate. I may have worded that badly; what I meant was that they were not hired to keep Palpatine and the Senate in check.

They were hired to do peacekeeping missions for the Republic; Palpatine and the Senate were their bosses.

I find it silly that the Jedi are to blame for the fall of the Republic because they did not decide that Palpatine and the Senate were not their bosses anymore, but Palpatine, who schemed to take over the Republic and murder the Jedi, bears less blame because he didn't get caught.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is why I preferred the implication from before TPM was released that Palpatine was independent of the Sith. I loved the idea that he single-handedly transformed the Republic into the Empire.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be Darth Bane: Rule of Two - the Ruusan Reformation:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruusan_Reformation

The system of government did not seem to change too dramatically (as the Republic had been ruled by a Supreme Chancellor and the Galactic Senate as early as 15,000 BBY) but the Jedi Order underwent a significant adjustment. In symbolic measures, largely to convince the Republic that they would not become a conquering army, the Jedi abandoned their battle armor, renounced all military ranks (such as "Jedi Lord"), dissolved their commander-in-chief, disbanded their army, naval and starfighter forces, and placed themselves under the supervision of the Supreme Chancellor and the Judicial Department, effectively dissolving the Military. In order to lessen the chance of a Sith resurgence, the Order began training children from birth. In addition, the training of Padawans was centralized on Coruscant, to remove the danger of unsupervised students delving into forbidden Sith knowledge.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank you for that. So 15,000 BBY is the timeline then?

Based on that and Plagueis, it seems that the Sith in the TPM era understood that the Jedi had taken these specific precautions in order to prevent a Sith resurgence. Therefore, Palpatine and Plagueis worked around these precautions in order to take over the galaxy in a way that the Jedi would never expect.

And it worked. But while the Jedi may have had a bit too much confidence in their own precautions--both understandable given that they had worked for so long, and maybe shortsighted in that they didn't consider the idea that someone might work around them--that does not mean that the precautions themselves are to blame for the rise of the Sith.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The point is that the Jedi should not have been government stooges. They needed to detach themselves and solve the problem, not be tied up in minutiae.

Mia Mesharad and kubricklynch like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If they had been working for the government for 15,000 years, how would they suddenly change that?

Who would they work for? Who would fund them?

What exactly would "detaching themselves from the government" look like in practical terms?

And what would "solving the problem" look like in practical terms?

Regardless of the answer, my mind is not changed regarding the Jedi not being responsible for Palpatine and the Senate's behavior. I am mainly curious because there seem to be a lot of ideals thrown about with little to no concrete idea of how those ideals could be made to work in GFFA reality.

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Jedi only became part of the judiciary in 1000 BBY. Not 15000 BBY.

The Jedi had charitable donations even in 32 BBY. Luke's order was bankrolled by Lando when the GA wouldn't. They would cope.

Practically it involves the Jedi detaching themselves from the government and taking down evil when it occurs. Not turning a blind eye to social injustice when it's inconvenient. Like Luke's Order taking down slavers.

And so forth.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A thousand years is still a long time.

And your solution is not practical. It does not explain how the Jedi would adjust so quickly to a rapid change from the way they had operated for a millennium.

You repeated your ideal instead of explaining specifically how the Jedi would make money and who they would work for. You mentioned charitable donations; were they actually getting enough to support themselves?

Also, what would a scene in which "We're not going to work for the Senate anymore" look like? How exactly would it go any better than that scene in Palpatine's office?

And how were the Jedi supposed to understand the depths of government corruption when no one else could? The Force was not nearly enough for that.

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    By watching. Everything the Jedi did was reaction, which is why it was a disaster. Galidraan, Yinchorr, Qotile, Bogden, Naboo. One disaster after another.

The Jedi coped just fine having a loose relationship with the Republic for 24000 years. They were it's guardians. Not it's footsoldiers.

They stepped in when the Tionese went on a nuclear offensive; and then meditated when the Republic went too far. They recused when the Republic turned to Pius Dea; and then took down Constipex when asked by the species of the galaxy. They stepped in when the Sith arose as it was their threat; they prepared for it when the Republic did not in 5000 BBY; sought to stay aloof from the Mandalorian Wars as a Republic issue, and so on.

They should not be beholden. They can be asked to help, sure. But not expected. Or bound to. That caused what happened.

22. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Corrupt or purer than the milk from angels' teats, the Jedi should not be beholden to any government, period.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sinrebirth and Starkeiller : What you all are suggesting is that the Jedi should go back to the structure that they used prior to the births of any of the Masters currently on the Council, including Yoda.

That could be considered as a possibility, I'm not sure who would have the knowledge to implement that as a solution or how the solution would be implemented. I'm not opposed to the structural reorganization in and of itself, but I think it's another topic.

If the Jedi should not be beholden to any government, go back a thousand years to see who made that decision, as opposed to blaming the current Council for it.

Regardless--blaming the Jedi for Palpatine's behavior because the Jedi did not try to revert back to the way things had been done a thousand years earlier is, again, deflecting blame off Palpatine and scapegoating the Jedi for the Republic's problems.

And holding the Jedi even somewhat responsible for Order 66 is still blaming genocide victims for their own demise. If one tried to do that with genocide victims in our world, it would not go over very well.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    You say they can't go back, but that s exactly what they tried to in Episode III.

25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The Jedi are supposed to follow the Force, not politics. If they just took a moment to think about it, forgetting their supposed duty to the Republic and all that odious claptrap, it would be plain to them that their professed duty to follow the light side of the Force ran contrary to the democratic procedures of the Republic. And they were not idiots, they saw that entering the war was a dark path; they chose to follow it. They did what Palpatine wanted them to do. Palpatine always ends up with a lion's share of the blame for everything that happens in Star Wars because that's his thing, but there's some left for the Jedi at the end of the day.
    Setting aside the fact that Order 66 was not a genocide (unless all Jedi are related?), it's one thing saying that the Jedi should be blamed for their own demise, and another to say that they were blameless in general. Blame is quite egalitarian, after all, and prefers never to rest with only one party.

But blame is also irrelevant in issues of mass slaughter. The Jedi were not killed in self-defense, they were "stabbed in the back", and it happened en masse, so regardless of the particulars of the situation, Order 66 is indefensible. It would be indefensible even if its victims were Sith.

DigitalMessiah likes this.