main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

Part of the problem is that the Jedi are defined by their opposite to the Sith, in the same sense that it's a problem that they're defined by their status as a government bureaucracy.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So why is the current Council getting blamed for "following politics" or whatever, when it was the Jedi a thousand years ago who set it up, and the evolution of the Republic happened gradually as opposed to "Oh, wow, they're corrupt today"?

Why are they getting blamed for not noticing until it is too late, as opposed to blaming those who corrupted the government in the first place?

You all might say that it's not either/or but the Jedi catch so much heat in these threads that I'm tempted to make "THANKS JEDI COUNCIL" a thing like "THANKS OBAMA."

I'm not holding them responsible for forcing Palpatine and the Senate to behave.

3. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Because power corrupts. You're not allowed to touch power with a ten-foot pole. The Jedi who set the system up, the Jedi who swore allegiance to the Republic, are to blame as well, because they assumed a position of power. They are part of the corruption, they are among those who corrupted the government in the first place.

The Jedi are part of the system, and if the system is to be blamed, they must be blamed as well. Now, if they had chosen to only give the Republic a helping hand when they believed it acted in accordance with their service to the Force....
    Exactly. Following the light side only makes the dark side stronger. Following the Unifying Force (or Cosmic Force as I guess Mr. Lucas wants us to call it now) "tames" the opposing tendencies and keeps them in balance.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The balance of the Force isn't the balance of the Force-users, remember?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If Luke and his colleagues can turn on a government that was acting badly twice in four years then Mace and the others could too.

In what logical world could a pair of Sith make it so the Jedi were working for them for thirteen years? How corrupt is the Order for not seeing it? For accepting it?

And if the Senate isn't their responsibility, on what basis were they going to disband it regardless of a Sith being Chancellor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The problem isn't really concerning the sides of the Force, although as I pointed out in the chronological journey thread, the "true nature" of the Force is that the sides are ultimately illusory. By defining yourself strictly in opposition to the Sith -- whom ally with the dark side of the Force, the selfish side rooted in the individual -- you're playing to and enslaving yourself to that dialectic, rather than transcending it, which is what Qui-Gon, Yoda, and Obi-Wan do when they merge with the Cosmic Force.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not according to the person who invented the concept of the Force in the first place. Is the balance of the Force "illusory" as well?

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In what world does a lack of omniscience mean corruption?

And the government that Luke turned around was not run by a Sith.

The Jedi was only going to disband the Senate if it had to do so to defeat the Sith. They only took action against the government when it was determined to be run by a Sith. Prior to that, the responsibility was with the citizens and Senators to vote Palpatine out.

The system ran exactly as it was supposed to.

It was not up to the Jedi to rewrite the Republic Constitution or change its government.

9. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    No, but it was up to them to not follow the first and not be involved in the second.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They work for and are funded by the Republic government but they are supposed to disobey the laws set forth in its Constitution?

Yeah, that's practical.

11. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    And if you work and accept being funded by the government, there goes any pretense that you are the champion of peace and justice. You're just public servants, and you do what the Senate tells you to do. As long as the Jedi are supposed to be just one of the government's arms, I don't even see why they are supposed to be the good guys.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK. That decision was made a thousand years earlier though.

I've asked a couple of times what exactly the Jedi are supposed to do about food, clothing and shelter, not to mention money to conduct their peacekeeping missions, once they break off from the government that has funded them for a thousand years.

Someone mentioned charitable donations in the EU; I asked if they were enough to find the Order.

I heard crickets.

Seems like there are a lot of ideals and finger-pointing around here but no solutions that would actually work.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well what did the Jedi do from 25,000 - 1,000 BBY and 10 ABY - perpetuity?

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    They're monks. Monks can A.) beg, or B.) acquire land where they can grow what they need. Acquiring land through the government is a bad idea.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If getting funded is justification for serving a bad guy...
    Charitable donations would be enough.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, wow.

Not even touching the horrible nature of suggesting that people become beggars.

I was looking for a practical solution.

Where exactly are they supposed to acquire this land? Beg for it?

And going back to the whole blame aspect here--the Jedi are to blame because they did not cut off the organization for whom they had worked for a thousand years, and therefore their funding source?

But Palpatine bears less responsibility because he was "enabled"?

I'm not sure I'm supposed to wrap my brain around this one.

darklordoftech : Where are you getting the idea that charitable donations would be enough? Seems like a very iffy source of funding to me. I certainly would not want to count on it to put food in my mouth or a roof over my head.

And in the US people work for some pretty shady companies all the time. I don't think that someone who works for one of these shady companies (I'm talking about legal companies) is terrible if he or she doesn't quit in protest and then go beg on the street for grocery money.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Palpatine bears total responsibility, and I hate how the EU tried to make him more of an opportunist and less of a manipulator.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Now we're getting somewhere, although I liked him as an opportunist and a manipulator.

Still...100 percent of the responsibility for the downfall of the Republic lies with him, and the other characters were victims.

19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Begging is what many orders of monks do. It has a very ancient tradition, and it is absurd to say that suggesting begging as an option for a monastic order is "horrible".

And where can they get the land? Aren't there a trillion uninhabited planets out there? Just go and do what K'Krukh did.
    They are to blame because they accepted to work for that organization in the first place. Palpatine bears more than enough responsibility himself -- in fact, most of the responsibility for about 80% or so of all bad things happening between 32 BBY and 4 ABY can be placed on him, I reckon.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So...it's the fault of the Jedi who lived 1,000 years ago?

I doubt they could have foreseen this.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Nomi Sunrider, Bantam-era Luke, Corran Horn

22. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    There's nothing to foresee. It's a matter of principle. And also, common sense. No good men ever get voted into office (and at some point, of course, the worst man actually got voted into office). That's why, if you are as hot on peace and justice as you claim, you don't serve the Republic, you serve... I don't know, peace and justice?

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Republic spanned a bigger part of the galaxy, was made up by thousand of worlds, and had not know war for a thousand years. I think that count as peace, and since it seems that it was only in the last hundred years that people really wanted to secession so do I think that the justice part mostly worked.

24. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Most of worlds in the Republic were dirt-poor $#%holes exploited by their Senators. And beyond the Republic, the Hutts. But the Jedi stayed mostly on Coruscant where all the wealth was accumulated -- so some of it would trickle down to them, of course. I don't think that a system such as this counts as "peaceful", but even if it does, injustice is at its very core.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Mace Windu makes an argument for serving the Republic being synonymous with serving peace and justice in Revenge of the Sith:

"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace."

And earlier: "The Republic is civilization. It's the only one we have."

Yoda, on the other hand, comes to the conclusion that the Jedi were ill equipped to deal with this iteration of the Sith.

Finally, he saw the truth.
    This truth: that he, the avatar of light, Supreme Master of the Jedi Order, the fiercest, most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known . . .
    just --
    didn't --
    have it.
    He'd never had it. He had lost before he started.
    He had lost before he was born.
    The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.
    They had become new.
    While the Jedi --
    The Jedi had spent that same millennium training to refight the last war.

As I'm fond of saying, the Sith attacked from within, while distracting the Jedi by playing to their expectations by having the Sith apprentice lead proxy armies in invasion from without.

Jedi Princess and Gamiel like this.