main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    what else can we talk about till we get something indepth about the future?

2. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    Any luck on finding that article?

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Was watching Thor: The Dark World and, while I'm not a big NJO / Vong fan, I do see the appeal in Space Orcs in a sci-fi movie setting if twisted around right. I'm not saying I really want to see the Vong used as antagonists in the ST, however, some animated or spin-off using them as a template for a big Space Orc baddie? I could dig that.

4. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    The NJO template could be Disney's long game plan after this trilogy. A threat from the unknown regions (not necessarily the Vong). They did say that areas/themes from the Legends EU could provide sort of a roadmap.

5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

I'm a member of the even smaller group that falls in the middle. For the most part I love the changes to the OT with a few exceptions. And I love the PT almost as much. TCW is a little lower on my list as will be Rebels because I'm not big on animation. But they're Star Wars so they draw me in regardless. I find myself catching crap from the fanatics on both ends of Star Wars fandom.

As for the new EU, I'm hoping they don't change too much when it comes to planets and races. Reworking the history to make it more cohesive is cool, but throwing out long established and loved planets, races, and characters seems like not only a big risk but a big mistake as well.

BigAl6ft6
    I like the Vong. They're a cool concept and a good foe. It's just the direction the NJO series took sucked. The Vong are unfairly, in my opinion, hated because of bad story telling.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The EU framework to the galaxy is still gonna be there, which is what the best stuff I thought the EU did anyway, fleshing out the corners and histories of planets and species, etc, (Imperial Center! Sinear Systems! And so forth). Not necessarily the Big Universe Stuff Happening Things that were the stickler points.

kubricklynch likes this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Its already been mentioned by people within the story group that things like planets, weapons, ships and species etc aren't going to change (except for the whole Korriban thing).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    anyone pondered whether they could loosely adapt the Thrawn trilogy, but change it to be set 30 years after ROTJ instead of 5?

9. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Yeah, but when they do "use" anything from the old EU they can/could change it completely. For example they could have a gay Rebel Alliance pilot named Thrawn if they wanted instead of the one we know and love. I hope they don't change too many details for the stuff they decide to reuse but we should be ready for any radical changes just in case.

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

And then I'd be like...

[​IMG]

Krueger likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Gay Rebel Pilot Thrawn would be the greatest goddamned thing Disney ever did. He's Thrawn. But he's a pilot for the Rebels. And gay. Sounds fabulous!

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    And him getting drunk all the time and making up stories of how if he was an Imperial Grand Admiral he'd be way smarter than the stupid Imperials while totally drunk is how the Legend of Grand Admiral Thrawn came to be. His stories where so great they spread throughout the rebel alliance fleet. By chance the bar keep looked a heck like Pellaeon. :p

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i hate to be predictable but i would love to see Mara Jade and or Thrawn brought into the NU, or ST

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

Abadacus, Revanfan1 and JediMatteus like this.
  15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Later today I'll be getting A New Dawn and I plan to dedicate my sunday to going through the whole thing in one go. I have to say, I'm pretty excited about getting back into the EU game, especially since this time around I'll follow it from the very beginning and will be able to keep up with it, hah.

16. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Haven't read a bad review about it yet, enjoy!

TheBBP and The Hellhammer like this.
  17. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Started A New Dawn today, got halfway through it. A fun read, so far. Kanan is someone I can grow to like quite a bit and Hera is not far behind, also. On a personal note, the whole thing has this nice feel of being fresh, a new start for EU and I quite enjoy being able to savor it. Also, the knowledge that everything I read is full canon and official, without any ambiguity to it, has a certain appeal that was obviously lacking in pevious books.

Good impressions so far, now back to the other half :p

18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

That means a ton to me as well and instantly makes these new novels as "must read" to me.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  19. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It will happen, I have foreseen it.

On a side note, it looks like a huge amount of the other bits of the EU framework are still going to be in place. An Imperial Remnant (of a sort), a New Republic (of a sort), and so forth. Some of the latest rumors rolling back the earlier rumors of Luke being held captive for 30 years and replacing them with a Luke that spent 4 ABY to 24 ABY rebuilding the Jedi Order, and so forth.

My hope is that one of the first things they do for the NU is call Zahn in and say. "Okay, here's the end point, here's the start point for the period... Want to do the Thrawn Crisis again?"

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    I read A New Dawn in one day from 12 to 12. My eye balls are still recovering. Well worth it.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    That's one of the reasons I enjoy these books. A bit of quality fun while still being a quick read. Especially now when they're starting fresh. Putting aside a day or two every two to three months and I get my regular Star Wars fix while at the same time keeping pace with the new timeline.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So, is the book good? Any hints on new canon?

Dra--- likes this.
  23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Looking good so far. A fun adventure, a decent (if at times a bit cliche) villain and overall a nice Star Wars feel to it. As far as canon goes, I have not noticed any major changes or retcons so far - that is, up to Chapter 31.

Dra---, Redimet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    This really isn't EU material though. We are talking legit canon here.

Dra---, Redimet and The Hellhammer like this.
  25. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm really excited for the Tarkin book, though. Glad that it's the next one in the publishing schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.