main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Earth Words and Their Star Wars Equivalents - a helpful index for writers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthThesaurus, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

That means, two things (or people) that seem to match or at least go together as a pair, often with the connotation of similar appearance, too.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry, I was not clear, I meant to suggest that Raissa Baiard could use 'two of a kind', another suggestions is ‘two halves of a whole’ and if the story take place in the time of the clone war ‘like clones in the army’.

3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Is duck tape really called space tape? lol add space to the front of items and it becomes star warsy.
    space station, space port, space battle, spaceship, etc etc space etc

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    "What's a duck?" — Luke Skywalker

Yep, "space tape" is the GFFA equivalent of waterproof woven adhesive strip... ;)

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Star does the same thing... Star Frigate, Star Cruiser, Star Destroyer, Star DREADNOUGHT.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    With a few exceptions, the naming conventions for Star Wars warships kind of fly in the face of most naval classifications. Not to mention that it's "dreadnought" and not "dreadnaught" and that such a classification is the namesake of an Earth warship, specifically HMS Dreadnought, which revolutionized battleship design. Near as I can tell, if you take away the starfighter aspect, the varying grades of capital ship in the GFFA may as well refer to different sizes of battleship and the number, not caliber/power/range, of guns they carry. That's not a criticism, because that's kind of how I see space warfare evolving in the far future, but there darn sure would be a more consistent classification system—with dedicated starfighter carriers forming the backbone of star fleets.

7. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    That's partly because different governments would have a different understanding of scales... I think it was the technical commentaries that suggested something about there being separate classification systems between manufacturers and governments. When we hear something that's obviously wrong... like the Guardian-class light cruiser (40 meters long? don't make me laugh)... It's because that's the manufacturer's name not the overall classification given it by governments.

I think the newest Essential Guide to Warfare explains it or something. Anyway... I've got a couple words that need a star wars equivalent.

Scrunchie - Yes, I'm serious... We see ponytails in Star Wars, but do we really think they use that term?
    Rubber Band

8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Someone else can probably think of rubber band better than I, but I'd just use "hair tie" instead of scrunchie. It's very simple, but barring any better idea, I'd use that. Scrunchie is just so...visually specific. And I'd like to think that women in the GFFA have better taste than we did in the 80s. ;)

mavjade and pronker like this.
  9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    How about flexi-band?

Sith-I-5 and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe it comes from being a non-native english speaker but I don't see why they could not use those terms?

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I too think' hair-tie','hair elastic' or 'hair band' is good for scrunchie.

For rubber band I do think you could use it and no one would think anything of it. I don't think it comes across as to Earthy, but I do like Goodwood's idea if you want to change it.

taramidala likes this.
  12. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999

Not so much with "rubber band" - I agree with Mav, rubber band isn't too much of an obvious Earthism - but "scrunchie" as an American English native speaker, is very very specific. Any American female reader of a certain age remembers very well what it is. It evokes a visual that is anachronistic to Star Wars, and, well, just plain ugly.

I don't want to think of any Star Wars character with this hairstyle:
    [​IMG]

mavjade , jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can see zeltrons have it

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    While the crazy 80's way of wearing them wouldn't be something you'd see much... aside for Zeltrons. I could see busy women using them just as a hair tie... sort of like this.
    [​IMG]
    I could see Jan Ors, Mirax Terrik, or even Mara Jade using them in that way. My sister uses them at meals, since her long hair is rather inconvenient.

15. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    YMMV, I guess, but I can't see that at all. Agree to disagree. :)

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Is there an equivalent for "duffel bag" in Star Wars lingo?

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I don't see why that term needs a GFFA equivalent. If you absolutely had to have one, however, you could probably use "stow-bag" or "gear pack."

18. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I agree with Goodwood. No equivalent needed.

19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks Goodwood taramidala. The reason I thought I might need an equivalent is that Duffel is the town in Belgium from where the bags originated, so I feared that "duffel bag" would be as earthy as "Bordeaux wine."

Sith-I-5 and pronker like this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Chyntuck: Well, the concept of the bag is similar to the old sailors' seabag, so you could call it a star bag or a space bag.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would use spacers' bag

22. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
  23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you all :)

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Is there a starwarsy equivalent to the Mohawk (haircut)?

EDIT: also, what would be a good SW equivalent to "provincial" in the pejorative sense? "Outer Rim" won't do in my case, since I'm talking about a character from the Mid-Rim.