main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Barriss Offee

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kablob, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Okay, so there's some stuff with Barriss Offee that seriously needs explanation. I really think we need a book showing how she went crazy, and that whole arc from her point of view. Who should write it? My first thought is Stover, since he's great at this sort of thing. Shatterpoint, Revenge of the Sith, he's the master of making Jedi lose it. I'd love to see JJM do it too, but that's just because of my love of all things JJM.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

kalzeth, Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I second that idea on Stover.

Hmm. Well, I'd want some explination leading up to the events where she blew up the temple. Like, how she felt about the war, her friendship with Ahsoka; that sort of thing. Or maybe if she thought that Ahsoka treated the war like a game? Because Ahsoka and Anakin had that droid count thing going on in the Geonosis episodes.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    If anyone can turn something as nonsensical and godawfull as the Temple Bombing arc into something passable, its Stover.

Of course I would prefer to have it never brought up again and fade away like a bad dream. But with Luminaria in Rebels, that obviously not going to happen.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The explanation better be good.
    That's all I can say.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That would actually be a tale worth telling, yes. Even without the continuity-violating aspects of it, it was a sudden and jarring change in direction for a beloved character.

6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    When the episodes first aired we were asking for an explanation of how she was allowed to join the Jedi forces later, now we ask for an explanation of how did she go dark in the first place.

That arc is like a giant speed bumb in Barriss's story. At least the revanization theory explains the back-to-Jedi part.

7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I still subscribe to the theory that it was a setup for an undercover mission, with Barriss taking credit for the bombing that she didn't actually do.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Ahsoka/Barriss OTP
    Or add Riyo Chuchi for an OT3

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This. I wish anyway.

I still remember my asterix-laden comments after Filoni's commentary on To Catch a Jedi.

Abadacus, Jedi Ben and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    The way I look at it, there's no point to complaining about it now. It happened, and I would much rather get an expanded explanation on it than just try to forget about it. Because leaving it at that now would be a greater disservice to the character than the arc was in the first place.

And this all reminds me that I really need to type out my Barriss Offee rant. I think I'll do that today.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I am seriously looking forward to that rant.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Well it's not a rant in the sense of I rant about why it's stupid. It's more of a big spiel where I try to make it work with her character. I can't do the other kind yet because I'm below the drinking age.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Booze only tends to enhance anger and increase incoherence in reason, it is not necessary for a rant to be written.

You have no excuse! Get to it.

15. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    It's been a year and a half, I've had time to calm down.

I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now. Even though you - no, sorry, that's Still Alive.

Really though, I'm more interested than upset now.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That you have an interested audience for it should be ample incentive. Or do I despatch Count Vidian to motivate you? [face_devil]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Well, that's interesting too. (Although I would point out that the legal drinking age doesn't seem to stop anyone else).

You ask the impossible. He needs more men.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That comment makes me feel eerily old...

mulberry and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm used to it by now .

I did get carded this weekend though. [face_whistling]

20. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Lots of the crazy posts that are written on this forum are being written by people who were being potty trained at the time Episode I came out. If we all just posted real pictures of ourselves on our avatar's most debates would probably end before they got started after realizing you are only talking to some 17 year old or some old person (if you are 17).

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah, talking to old people is the worst. I have to shout THAT KENOBI NOVEL WAS TOTES COOL and they keep on muttering of how it was good when not everyone could afford a lightsaber.

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Just wanted to add my take... I'm the originator of the 'Barriss was Revan'd post-trial theory' by the way--nice to see people still remember that...

We're overthinking Barriss' fall... The answer is likely in 'The Jedi who knew too much' episode. Remember how Barriss told Ashoka she was 'close' to one of the attack victims, Tutso Mara? He taught her lightsaber techniques... Who really believes that's all there is to it?

Obviously some failed attempt at romance happened... Maybe Tutso rejected Barriss or whatever. Add this to Barriss' already angry take on the Jedi’s war policy, and tada! One fallen dark Jedi...

Barriss then tried to frame Ashoka to get back at Anakin over issues from that border dispute on Ansion--I'm sure someone who's read 'The Approaching Storm' novel more recently can elaborate on what these issues are...

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I might buy this but I'm not sure if Barriss is the type. EU Quinlan Vos yes.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL.

On this site I've found that age is not THAT great an indicator. I've met cool teenagers, annoying people my age or older, and vice versa and everything in between.

I think a romance might be overthinking it.

As far as The Approaching Storm, it's been awhile but I don't remember that she and Anakin had any issues.

I do think we're all overthinking it. She got pissed and blew up the Temple because everyone else who could do it was busy getting ready to die, go into hiding or go to the Dark Side in ROTS.

Any other theories are just for fun or because we need something to make sense.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree with AFS, age doesn't really indicate much of anything well. Elders are not a bad lot simply because youth is behind them. Youths aren't all roses either.

Bariss' fall does feel rushed and glossed over. A feasible explanation would be nice. 'She's mad' doesn't cut it for me.