main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST List or database of rumors/leaks?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by andrewdoane, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Jedi Master

Oct 26, 2004
    I remember hearing a podcast host say that he was keeping a list of all rumors and leaks so that we could eventually see who had good sources and who was wrong about everything. I think this was Eric Geller, but I'm not sure. Is this posted anywhere? I find myself constantly thinking "Didn't someone post something like this months ago? I want to see who that was so that I can remember that he/she is credible the next time he/she posts a leak." Apologies if it's already somewhere obvious!

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    We should've had a thread with all of them listed already! I'm sure there is a list somewhere on here

3. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    All of the true rumors were posted by me, if that makes this quicker.

Of course all the false ones were posted by me too, so that doesn't help much. :oops:

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Didn't Grilled Sarlacc do something like this for the PT?

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    yes he did - hey long time ghost...wb

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

There isn't a comprehensive list.

markdeez - You are nearing your 10 year mark and I believe you are ready for the trials (I did have reservations but no more). You are tasked with compiling this list. Upon completion you will attain the rank of Grand Master.

Jedi Knight Fett and markdeez like this.
  7. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    That might have been me - Full of Sith did an episode awhile ago where I actually went through and not only looked at all the rumors that came out, but all the sources they came from, and which sites had the best track records to that point, and how many sites were just essentially repeater signals, doing no reporting of their own.

That was awhile ago, though, although most recently Bryan and I said that once the film comes out we were going to do a show which was nothing BUT going through the list and eating crow on behalf of all those who believed the wrong stuff :)

And I think I also remember Eric saying he was keeping a list, too. Someone's probably on it.

In the olden days, there was a site called Corona's Coming Attractions (a LARGE number of current movie-bloggers/online film columnists came from that site's forums) that did exactly what you're asking for, OP, but nobody really does it so much now.

markdeez and dolphin like this.
  8. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Good work bobbyroberts (I remember Corona very well)

By the time Episode VIII ramps up we need to know which sites were more reliable than others.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. bluecadet3

bluecadet3 Jedi Knight

Apr 5, 2013
    I started doing this personally earlier in the year. Not necessarily to see which sites were reliable, but to look back and see which rumors turned out to be true or false. I remember a lot of weird rumors from the prequel days, and it's always interesting to come across mentions of them now.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    If I had the time, I would certainly embark on this mission, on the sacred journey to becoming Grand Master!

As you can see by my post count, I am somewhat more of an observer than a participant, but I do chime in here & there. If someone would like to start things off, I'll certainly contribute a few things here and there to help compile the list.

dolphin likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    There have been a few threads that have been tried (HERE and HERE) but it's a lot to keep up with. We do have an official info thread stickied at the top.

If anyone wants to attempt the monumental task of upkeep of a list rumors thread, let one of the mods.

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    dolphin and TK327 like this.
  13. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Jedi Master

Oct 26, 2004

That's exactly what I'm looking for! I wish I had done it myself when they started coming out.

Can you post yours? I would be willing to help contribute by posting to a thread, but I think the format should be something other than the thread itself.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    surely the force.net news archive does the job?

15. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I'm looking forward to Eric Geller's spreadsheet. It's something I wish we had for the prequels.

16. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Jedi Master

Oct 26, 2004
    I am too. I wish we had a way to convince him to post it. Whenever he reveals it, there's going to be be a lot of shouting from the sources about "No, I had that first!" for the rumors that are looking true and "I didn't report that, I was just passing something along!" on the rumors that are looking false. Seems to me there would be less shouting if he posts it now.

TK327 and dolphin like this.
  17. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

I would love for them to try...

If your site posts an exclusive rumor it's yours. Even if you heavily caveat that this is a source whose bonafides haven't been verified, nope you posted it, so you own it. :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Jedi Master

Oct 26, 2004
    Agree... I bet that after the movie comes out, we will see posts from Making Star Wars, Latino Review, etc. saying "Now I know which sources I can trust" and then for Episode VIII leaks, we will have them saying "I know this source is reliable because he/she is the one who told me [thing that was correct] a year before the movie came out."

dolphin likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As such, I have actually already begun blaring Calliope music as the soundtrack.

20. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    The trick is to narrow down which site a report originated with, as there are a ton of sites that almost never originate any actual scoops/spoilers, they simply re-write/re-post something else they already saw another site break. Lotta linkfarms, essentially.

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Quoting myself because, as pointed out to me today by my fellow mods who were not happy I was volunteering them for said monumental task, this should have said: if you want to do the upkeep on such a thread, let one of the mods know.
    [face_batting]

22. bluecadet3

bluecadet3 Jedi Knight

Apr 5, 2013
    The flash drive I keep it on isn't with me at the moment (as I'm posting from work), but I'd be happy to share it with you, or anyone else who is interested. But I'll warn you, it's not a spreadsheet or even very organized, it's more of a daily journal with significant rumors that pop up, dated and featuring the amount of days left until the film.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Interesting idea. I will be watching this thread with great.....interest.

24. Eric Geller

Eric Geller TFN Staff Emeritus star 1 VIP

Mar 2, 2005
    Late reply! Late reply!

I am not going to post the rumor spreadsheet until I can include a result for each rumor. Most rumors can be assessed based on the movie itself, but I am going to wait to see if any reliable publications can confirm or debunk rumors about behind-the-scenes developments.

Sorry to say it, but this probably isn't going to be posted until early 2016.

Glad there is interest in it though!

dolphin, EHT, Dewback and 2 others like this.
  25. andrewdoane

andrewdoane Jedi Master

Oct 26, 2004
    Well, darn. I understand that you want to have it to show results in 2016, but it would be nice to also have it as a running reference in 2014 and 2015. I think that even now it would be illuminating as to who is reporting authentic stuff and who is full of crap. Is there some downside to posting it now?

It's my fault for not starting my own list when you started yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.