main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    So I watched it myself tonight, and I have to say, it wasn't bad.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I want to see it so bad–I hope SW.com or DisneyXD.com put it up soon!

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    you haven't seen it yet?

4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No. [face_sigh]

5. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
  6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    what's the over/under on when Boba Fett shows up on this show

7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hopefully that means the episode itself will be up between now and Monday. That's the way it usually happened with TCW, right? The episode guide went up the day the episode premiered, and the episode itself went up on Sundays (when the episodes would premiere on Saturdays) or Mondays (when they premiered on Fridays).

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So tarkintown is supposed to be a send up to hooverville. I didn't catch that one, hah.

9. DoubleSith

Feb 5, 2002
    From the trivia gallery, on Kessel's portrayal:

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I put the odds of those notes existing at about the same as the notes Frank Herbert had which Brian Herbert and KJA worked off.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Who knows. He might have developed Kessel for The Clone Wars. Although I kind of doubt those notes were any "extensive", considering how the man works.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    If such notes existed, it doesn't make a lot of sense why they weren't given to EU writers that wanted to use the planet, but suddenly they're pulled out of some secret book shelf in the Indiana Jones library at Skywalker ranch for Rebels. So I agree if such notes exist, they were probably written for TCW or even for Rebels.

Such a precedent does exist, at least to some extent, as Luceno seemed quite capable of getting his hands on advance scripts (AOTC when writing Cloak of Deception and ROTS for Labryinth of Evil) and got answers to questions from Lucas through Roffman for Plagueis. Also, given the way the NJO ultimately ended up, it wouldn't surprise me if he had read the script for TPM when they were planning the series. Wasn't there even speculation he read an early draft of ROTS when he was writing TUF given that Shimrra and Dooku are dispatched identically?

Robimus, Valin__Kenobi and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    And Filoni has mentioned Lucas's "notebook" before, where he's scribbled names that sound cool and random ideas. I can see it now:

KESEL KESSEL
    Fungus planet (Mushroom zone from Sonic 3?)
    Scientifically impossible potato
    Some desert place
    RepMonarchy
    Very easy to land

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    So, I've already watched the second episode...is the episodes going online first going to be a thing now?

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think Lucas' notes and scripts are very colloquial compared to what shows up in the films or the publicly available scripts. Like I assume every time lightsaber is mentioned in his scripts it's written as "lasersword." I mean I'm pretty damn sure.

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Oh, cool. I'm glad they're still doing the episode guides, even though they're somewhat more pared down than before.

But at least we now know what Kallus's teeth look like! He's probably related to Carth in some way.

17. DoubleSith

Feb 5, 2002
    Heh, you're spot on. He actually spells it "lazersword.", IIRC.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    With the exception of the Tolkien types whose writing is pretty much just an excuse to show off their worldbuilding in the first place - and Lucas is most definitely not one of them - I'm pretty sure all writers' notes look like that. I feel like the field would be somewhat healthier if they'd just admit as much.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    look I'm trying to be popular by making fun of Lucas and you're ruining it

20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Goongas.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

I dunno, I kinda think there's something to "spiritual worldbuilding." I mean, Lucas definitely had a certain hodgepodge in his head of samurai movies and spaghetti westerns and flash gordon all meeting, but instead of adding them all up, it was more like adding them all up... and then subtracting a lot, almost at random. Oddly enough, as great as the OT and the world is, I'd actually bet a lot of its nuance is accidental. If not for Lucas being a fairly malleable personality around his old indie filmmaker friends and rewriting it a few times, I think we'd have gotten something very... obvious. Kind of a sad thought that he succeeded on accident, but it also kind makes the bottled lightning element of it all the more beautiful.

But I'm... on pain meds for a slipped disc right now. So I think what I just typed was coherent? Maybe.

Anyway, about Rebels... I like it. It's simple and dumb and has great OT music and I think that's all pretty great. I'm getting into a viewing rhythm that makes SW animation sort of beyond criticism; no matter how stupid it is, I can always think to myself, "Man, if I'd had this when I was a kid, I'd have **** my pants with joy every single day."

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That is my fundamental objection to the name Mon Cala for Dac/Mon Calamari, because if Lucas' "notebook" has existed all of this time, why wasn't the name Mon Cala volunteered when Dac/Mon Calamari was first established.

23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Kessel is still barren, and still used for mining and the empire still sends slaves there. I can live with it being round and larger in the disneyverse. The rebels crew didn't pull a Ryloth on this one, so I'm happy.

24. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The Spice mines of Kessel refers to multiple mines within the system. One on an asteroid, one on a planetoid. All within the Kessel system.

There.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Very tiny spoiler for the second episode:

We get to hear Threepio say "Aqualish" out loud.