main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Did you ever consider Droids canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dominick1216, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    Even before the whole Legends banner, did you ever consider Star Wars: Droids as canon? I just can't see R2-D2 & C-3PO going off on all of these adventures between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. I feel like those 19 years would have been non-adventurous for the two droids. Plus, the Rebel Alliance wasn't even created yet when the show took place (15 BBY), yet it was already formed. So did you ever consider Droids canon?

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
  3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Whomever placed Droids fifteen years before ANH must have had their heads up their ***. There's no way the Rebel Alliance was around for fifteen years and it took them that long to win their first victory. It should take place around the same time as Rebels, really. In hindsight now, we all know Boba would still be too young to sound that old, and there's no way he could be the best BH in the Galaxy at that point in time. Besides, Rebels: The Movie clearly tells you that there wasn't any rebel resistance in the last fifteen years, at least not until Kanan and his gang show up.

I sort of liked the idea that Threepio and Artoo got lost and were on a few adventures during these decades, because it also proves that they were special.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Making of Star Wars - Lucas's original concept of the Rebellion, described at the end of the book - was of something that had been around in at least some form, for the past 20 years.

Some EU authors took a similar approach - depicting proto-Rebel groups existing from right after ROTS. And there were some allusions in Marvel Star Wars to rebellion being a long-term thing (one figure given was fifty years).

the Boba Fett young reader series has him earning a pretty respectable reputation working for Jabba as a bounty hunter, during the Clone Wars.

Tython Awakening and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    To me, canon is whatever I want or don't want it to be. The wanderings of C-3PO and R2-D2 are part of the official story from my point of view. In 1985 I saw Droids when it first aired. After the original trilogy and the first Ewoks movie, Droids, along with Ewoks, were the first continuations of the Star Wars story that I had seen. At that point, I don't think there was any material in existence stating how long the Rebel Alliance had been around. In 1985 it was entirely believable to think that it was around during the time period of Droids because there was nothing to say that it wasn't. Contradictions and problems with things seen in Droids, such as the age of Boba Fett, came about years later in other material. I don't think Boba Fett's age was even established until 2002 in Attack of the Clones, so for 17 years Boba Fett's age in Droids wouldn't have even been an issue. Probably a lot of the timeline issues could be easily fixed by Rebels or some other story showing the droids getting lost and then recovered just a year or two before A New Hope.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Boba Fett has voice modifier thing.
    Now the Rebellion. I'd have to see the episodes where those are mentioned to try to explain that one.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Keep in mind that the Clone Wars was vague in how long it had been since them to ANH....some sources make it seem like 50 years before the movie with the ages and back stories for some characters.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it is very likely at some point between ROTS and ANH Artoo and Threepio got lost for a while and had a bunch of adventures. They have a tendency to do that.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's true about the Clone Wars. I too thought it happened thirty or forty years before ANH, and that was before Zahn implied that it did take place decades in the past. Where he got that idea to put it in his book must have also come from Lucas, since it was he who allowed Zahn to write the first EU book in a while. Why Lucas chose to change it is beyond me, because now the rest is history.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Big galaxy and all. Them not being able to get back to Alderaan quickly makes sense imo. Non-issue imo.

11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I just watched it this past week along with reading all the DH comics, including all the Dark Times and Vader series.

Canon or not, I saw those stories as a decent bridge to Rebels. Something to fill the 14 year gap with. This was especially nice since Droids in Distress felt almost exactly like another episode of the show, so it made the transition even more smooth for me.

Personally, I think it'd be fun to get some cameos from the baddies of the show, like the guy who animated them in TCW/Rebels style...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...Star_Wars_Rebels_Admiral_Screed_(Fan_Art).jpg

Screed

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...ar_Wars_Rebels_Sise_&_Tig_Fromm_(Fan_Art).jpg

Fromm Gang

The former would work a bit better then the latter, but hey... someone should ask Filoni about it at a panel someday.

12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm with you.

Fett would have been what, seventeen, at the time? Given his training and lifestyle, I don't see anything Boba did in the series as implausible, whatsoever. And the voice? Clearly, Fett's bucket has a voice modifier/speaker. The bigger canon issue there would be that Boba doesn't sound much like Logan or Morrison. But, whatever. Helmet. :)

As for the rebellion?

It has been awhile, so I may be forgetting something (so if I am, try not to flay me, folks), but I don't remember "the Rebellion," at least as far as the Alliance, proper, is concerned, ever having been mentioned in the series?

Now, Kea Moll surely followed her parents into fighting against the Empire as part of the Annoo resistance, but this was not under the banner of the Alliance. Rather, this was an example of a localized rebellion, and nothing out of the ordinary for the times, at all.

And I'm really not sure how the new Rebels movie shows in any way, shape, manner or form that "there wasn't any rebel resistance in the last fifteen years." Far from it.

Agent Kallus of the ISB (so, you know, someone who would know) seemed very familiar with resistance, given his understanding of the importance in "snuffing out the spark [of resistance] before it catches fire."

And more to the point, even given the precious few entries we have to the new canon, A New Dawn explicitly depicts a local act of rebellion against the Empire in its pages (multiple acts, actually). It's what the story is about. Kanan is a part of it, and this is six years prior to Rebels!

Anyway, yes I considered Droids canon for a time, because, for a time, we were told that it was. And numerous ret-cons were put into place in order to make it all fit together reasonably well enough.

But do I consider the show canon now? Nope. Lucasfilm has been clear on what is and what is not.

Would I like to see it reincorporated, though? Sure. I loved some of the show's original characters, liked most of the stories and, as I said, always felt that everything fit pretty much well-enough. As long as it doesn't outright contradict anything being planned for the period, why not?

At the very least, I say bring some of those fun characters from the series into the new canon!

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Yes. I love that show.

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I don't think I have ever seen Droids.

starocean90 likes this.
  15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    they should make a new and canon Star Wars Droids tv show.:p
    you can watch the whole thing on youtube, if you want of course.;)

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'll check it out at some point.:)

starocean90 likes this.
  17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    No links to unofficial distributors of Star Wars material.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah sorry, there's no way we can allow anything like that to be shared here.

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I have never seen Droids

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No. I like the show, but I never really considered it canon.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I viewed it (actually, still do) as canon from a certain point of view. As in, the events are canon, but the depiction is, well, a childrens cartoon. I do the same with TCW, Rebels, Ewoks, CW and Forces of Destiny - just to varying degrees. TCW and Rebels are essentially showing exactly how it happened, but with a little less realism, while the others are more extreme in their interpretations of events.

22. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    It's not canon, but they did incorporate a few easter eggs from Droids into TCW. Threepio's life before Anakin rebuilt him, a few character nods, etc.

23. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    This was some of the first EU material that I ever experienced, but it was at a time where retcons weren't yet introduced to make it fit post-PT. Still, I enjoyed it for what it was most of the continuity errors were fixed later down the line anyways.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I enjoy it when people say that the Droids tv series is part of canon.

Myself -- I'm trying to avoid those old canon debates that have been roaring since the early-1990's.

When I did enter canon debates, I argued using the hierarchy of canon model that was endorsed by Keeper of the Holocron Leland Chee. In the hierarchy model, the higher levels took precedence over lower levels. This is how it went, I think...

Film-Canon (Saga Films)
    TV-Canon (TV shows)
    Continuity Canon (Novels and Comics)
    Secondary Canon (Old Marvel Comics -- 80s run)
    RPG and Gaming Continuity (RPG material and games)

I won't make any attempt to integrate the post-EU material (published after August 2014). The old model was tossed out when EU became Legends. It is now over three years later, so bygones should be bygones....

What I will say, however, is that the opening crawl, "A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away..." leaves room for interesting contradictions in the saga continuity. There is room for contradictions in the saga because there are multiple storytellers (humans, droids, and aliens). Each storyteller may bring their own biases and embellishments to the saga.

The idea is that the Star Wars saga has been transmitted to us from the distant past. The droids, the Journal of the Whills, and Princess Leia were presented by George Lucas as one of the ways the saga got transmitted.

In the version of the saga that I follow, the Droids (3PO and R2D2) fictionally visited the Earth in 1977 and transmitted a time capsule with the Star Wars saga. I include the Making of Star Wars documentary as part of the canon I follow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Making_of_Star_Wars

[​IMG]

My view is that a younger George Lucas originally intended to present the Star Wars saga this way, but backed off when the films got too successful with all of the licensing deals. Getting too dystopic would have alienated licensees like Kenner, etc.

25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    My favourite error is a scene in which a B-Wing flies backwards over a town.8-}

Tython Awakening likes this.