main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO World of Warcraft - Killer of the WoW Killers

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ManaByte, Oct 12, 2013.

1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Checked back through most of the pages and noticed there wasn't currently an official WoW thread.

There has to be people here still playing it?

I've been playing since early 2004, so I'm almost going on ten years now.

BlizzCon is in less than a month and the new expansion will be there. They've hinted that they don't have a lot to show due to just finishing 5.4, but they'll likely show off the new character models they have done so far as well as concept art. I hope the "Dark Below" rumor is true, as I'd love an expansion set underground.

5.4.1 is going to be on the PTR soon and it's adding the in-game Recruit a Friend.

2. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    We used to have an official thread, but I think it died off sometime in 2011 or so.

I played on-off from 2007-2011. Had a lot of fun, particularly my hunter and warrior characters. However in the end it was my RL friends that kept me in the game and as they dropped it and/or moved away one by one I lost interest myself. I did have an alternate free account setup which I used to have a quick bash on up until MoP came out - whilst upgrading the client the install somehow corrupted forcing a re-install and I just couldn't be bothered doing it all over again, so haven't touched it since.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I went back earlier this year after a 4 year absense. Nothing's changed and everything is easier. Meh.

4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    It's still better than every other MMO out there...

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    This, this, this. They've made it so easy that leveling has gotten too fast. It used to be that the leveling speed matched your toon's progress through a zone. But now the leveling speed has outpaced zone progression so much that your toon can be ready to go onto a new zone when it still has half of the previous zone's quests to complete. And by the time you move onto a new zone, the quests for that zone are already in the green as far easiness goes.

Instances have all basically turned into a game of click as many buttons as fast as you can and you'll clear everything within 45 minutes- tops! And then you and your four group mates, all of whom are from different servers, go on your merry way without ever seeing each other again, so there's a whole community-building aspect that has basically died. The only people you ever talk to are in your guild, if you're in one.

Blizzcon is next week and that's when we'll learn about the new expansion. The name will be either "The Dark Below," "Heroes of the Storm," or "Warlords of Draenor," based on names that have been registered for trademark. Dark Below sounds like an ocean Azshara expansion. Warlords sounds like an Orc-focused time travel expansion, with possibly Turalyon and Alleria making a final overdue appearance. No clue about Heroes of the Storm.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've got nothing against WoW, I just wish they would make a proper Warcraft 4 RTS game. It seems like WoW has become synonymous with the property anymore.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Define better?

Polish and mechanics? Sure. But they have squillions of dollars and trailblazer status behind them.

Story? No. For me, as a fan of the lore (and if the fall of Anakin was even half as good as the fall of Arthas, the prequels would not be the terrible mess we got), there's a lot of WoW's story which can pass you by because the game encourages this. When they did finally crack the shell on how to write good quest stories, they were beautiful - for example, the quest in WOTLK where you went around trying to save Private Bridenbrad from the plague. There was a noble futility about it, but it really resonated with me now and I remember it 5 years on being a powerful moment.

"Fear not, young one; for this crusader shall not taste death. In life, Bridenbrad was the bearer of great deeds. Now, in passing, he shall taste only paradise.

The Light does not abandon its champions." - A'dal

TOR, on the other hand, had a lot of involving moments and was able to tell a better story within its narrative.

8. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    So, it's officially Warlords of Draenor. And you can apparently start a level 90 character right from scratch. [face_plain]

Mad. Just mad.

9. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I played for a few years on and off since the release, having more or less grown up with Warcraft games it was a natural switch to WoW.
    Had quite a few fun times with it, really fond memories and all that but haven't been back since Cataclysm. I find myself too easly distracted and consumed by MMOs and I can no longer afford to spend so much time playing around.
    The new expansion announced today (or yesterday?) looks interesting though. I might check it out.

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Sounds kind of similar to my experience. I've been very careful not to let the game absorb me too much, especially the raiding, which consumed my life for about a year. That should not have happened. I've since become a very casual player, which has gotten increasingly frustrating, since as I posted about earlier, one of my favorite aspects of the game is leveling a character, but now that whole leveling progression has been expedited considerably.

I am really happy that this is the first ten-level (90-100) expansion since WOTLK, for obvious reasons. :p

The Hellhammer likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Although I am a bit disappointed in the general direction the Warcraft universe was taken since WoW. Warcraft 1 and 2 had this really gritty darker feeling to them and it began moving in a more and more cartoony direction with Warcraft 3 and WoW then pushing it to quite an extreme. I still have very fond memories of the game, but in hindsight I wish they kept up the slightly darker feeling from the first two games.

Wonder if we'll ever see a World of Warcraft 2? Oh, and also very curious about what the hell this project TITAN is.

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I downloaded the free starter edition a few years back. Started off as a mage, and ran around the starting area doing those silly fetch quests. I eventually got bored, decided that I didn't want to put time into this game (already had a massive backlog of games on Steam), and deleted it off my computer.

13. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    The old starter fetch quests can be a chore. To Blizzard's credit they did make some attempts at improving them with the Goblin and Worgen additions in Cataclysm (I assume Pandaren as well but haven't played MoP) by at least trying to create some sort of plotline that was interesting enough to follow along with. However until recently the Starter Edition only included up to WotLK so you couldn't access the newer races.

I was browsing EBGames the other day and found MoP for only $19.95. I was tempted (it's still selling for $39.95 on Blizzard's website) but I still remember the brick wall feeling I had back in Cata when my Goblin mage hit Outland at 58 and having to go through the tedious old-style questing which totally burnt me out. [face_cow]

14. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I must be some kind of masochist, because I'm suddenly nostalgic for the "fetch this, fetch that" style of quests.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm the same way. I got bored of WoW when I reached max level and the only thing left to do was Heroics and Raids. I haven't played since Cata and have no interest in going back since Blizz's focus is on getting people to max level as fast as possible.

16. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    In related news, WoW celebrates 9th birthday.

Turns out TITAN was quietly 'rebooted and delayed' (yet again) earlier this year, and is now unlikely to be a sub-based MMO ala. WoW.

Whatever happens with TITAN, it's now certain that WoW is getting an extended life with the next expansion post-Warlords of Draenor already under development with potentially several more expansions after that. [face_hypnotized]

I can't see a WoW 2 appearing in the forseeable future - at best Blizzard will probably just keep updating the world ala. Cata and upgrading the graphics each expansion.

17. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    took me awhile to find this, figured I should post and see if anyone is around in this game?

I just got my WoD beta key today, downloading it now.

18. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Apparently on Tuesday Blizzard released their traditional pre-expansion patch that gets the world ready for the next expansion and now leveling is... "too hard."

And Blizzard is now going to hot fix it.

Excuse me while I make the most epic face_palm ever.

edit: it's now supposed to be even easier than it was before the patch, according to reports by players. wtf.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    That patch changes were much needed IMO. They really cleaned up some of those classes well. Also yeah I'll be starting up again once the expansion is released.

20. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    MMOs pretty much all suck IMO. Saying one is better than another is like saying Episode 1 was better than Episode 2.

21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, I'll be getting the expansion to level up, too. As much as I hate what Blizzard has done with all the old leveling content, the journey of taking a character up another 5 or 10 levels in a completely new set of zones is always exciting, immersive, and well worth it. And maybe I'll just like what I see enough to stick around longer than that, although I kind of doubt it.