main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Dark Times: Gallery Edition - the last DHC SW Book

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Doug Wheatley likes this.
  2. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Yeah, I'm certainly not complaining.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I recall Wheatley saying he found ways to streamline his process to help make deadlines more often- though I never found his artwork lacking, I imagine some of the more minute background details may have been scaled back as part of that refinement.

Doug Wheatley and Zorrixor like this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I always liked Wheatley's art. I think it was just the settings that changed more, with the crowded (in a good way!) streets in the original arcs being replaced by wider shots of more remote locations toward the end, and in shots like those you've inevitably not got as many "little things" to notice like when there were tons of aliens in a street somewhere.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Damn, that preview is nice.

7. Doug Wheatley

Doug Wheatley Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2014
    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say Thank You! I loved doing Star Wars over at Dark Horse comics, it was an incredible ride! But what made it epic was reading the comments both good and bad from all of you. Getting your feedback made me work harder, I became a master at research on the web and I LEARNED more about Star Wars than I ever thought I would because of your insight and dedication and commitment to continuity, not to mention receiving help form some of you from time to time on the more obscure races and Aliens in this vast galaxy.

To those who didn't like the work we did on Dark Times, thanks for bringing your thoughts to the table, even though it was tough to read sometimes, I still appreciated that you took the time to weigh in, after all, we are all fans of this incredible universe and who wants a discussion with one point of view. In some of those posts I found some solid points that I hadn't considered, in others...well you really can't make everyone happy, though I truly tried. For those of you who felt my work on the last arc was less than my best, please check out my black and white line work on Facebook before you firm up on that opinion. To those of you who Randy and I struck a cord with, your encouragement and feedback kept me going 15 hrs a day. I love telling stories and illustrating comics, but sometimes, like any job, it can get rough. Knowing that there were people like you who enjoyed what we were doing made all the difference and I can't thank you enough, it was truly a blast making these books for you.

As for my future with Star Wars, I'll be around :)

A heartfelt thank you to Mike Richardson, Randy Stradley, Sue Rostoni, Jeremy Barlow, Dave Marshal, Freddie Lins, Michael Hiesler, Ronda Patterson, Chris Chuckry, Dan Jackson, and Dave McCaig. It was awesome working with you on these books!

Really looking forward to the new movies and what Marvel brings to the table!

Exciting times are ahead...My fingers are crossed!

Robimus, Havac , Mazzic and 19 others like this.
  8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Thank you very much Mr. Wheatley, I really hope that we will see more art from you in Star Wars (hopefully soon).

9. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    Haven't read ASR but there's definitely a difference between V1 and say, V5. Part of it being what Zorrixor said. The earlier art seemed more... refined?

I think Wheatley's art is done more justice when he has all the time in the world and can add those little details. If I were to reread The Path to Nowhere I'd probably notice 5 new things, even though I always study the art extensively. Whereas the desert vistas in Out of the Wilderness were far more one-sided and lifeless. (Which it's supposed to be, of course. It's a desert. But it's less enjoyable to look at for me than a vibrant, crowded street, full of colors and little snapshots of different lives.)

For example - in Into the Unknown Pt. 1, when Hudorra visits the market, you see a Whiphid with his arms upraised. In The Path to Nowhere, when Jennir Force-tricks the officers on Esseles, you see a hologram of that exact same Whiphid, in the same pose.

To me, little details like that add an extra layer of enjoyment.

Thank you too, Mr. Wheatley. I've always greatly enjoyed your art and I'm glad to hear you'll stick around.

spicer and Doug Wheatley like this.
  10. Doug Wheatley

Nov 21, 2014
    I've just been awarded the "This is not Facebook trophy " and it's my first post! how awesome is that! BTW, please call me Doug, I'm going to posting my thoughts on Rebels and the upcoming movies and other projects not yet known, and some unpublished art art from time to time. Mr. Wheatley...that's my dad :)

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Really glad DH put this book out, I really enjoyed this series and its great to see a book showcasing the artwork.

Thanks a lot Doug Wheatley, I'm glad I got the chance to meet you and Randy wayback at C3. Glad to hear we may see some more Star Wars work from you...keep those pencils sharpened!

12. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I believe Dark Times captured the old-school pulp sci-fi feeling that is the essence of Star Wars perfectly. You can take any panel and isolate it, and it just screams "Star Wars". It's very fitting that this is the last thing Dark Horse puts out under the license.

13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Looking forward to it :D

Doug Wheatley and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Doug Wheatley Maybe I'll go off topic here, but I've been wondering if Dass Jennir's facial features are based on Daniel Day Lewis a little, like the chin, the nose, eyes...? Or is it just my imagination :p? Thanks for clarifying.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was on the fence whether to buy this, due to the nature of the book. Then....

Just gone and blown £53.61 on it via Wordery! Why? Well, let's see:
    1. It is the capstone to a line of books I've been buying since 1992/93!
    2. It is a bargain at the price. DHC usually issue super-deluxe editions at absurdly low prices, the sort of edition this is could, in more commercial places, have an RRP of $150-200!
    3. I quite like the idea of DHC throwing down the gauntlet to Marvel: Beat this mofos!
    4. Who knows how long it'll be available for? This sort of item is a nice product and it has a print run to match!

If there's any particular DHC editions that will likely skyrocket in value, it's this and the Luke Skywalker OHC, followed by the hardbacks issued this year.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've also got this ordered from Amazon UK now. I don't need it as I have both the single issues and the trades already, and I'm not normally that interested in production notes and stuff, but I'm curious enough to read them, and if nothing else I'm getting it as a thank you to Doug, Randy, and everyone at Dark Horse that's worked on Star Wars for the last twenty years.

Doug Wheatley, Starkeiller and spicer like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, this type of book is very different to either trades or single issues Zorr!

18. Doug Wheatley

Nov 21, 2014
    Just your imagination Spicer, Jennir's face is loosely based on my father in law, when he was much younger. Sicilian, he had some dangerous angles to his face. He also modelled for me during the "Destroying Angels" book as the old man with the owl.

19. Doug Wheatley

Nov 21, 2014
    Starkieller, thanks, that is so #^@&***G! cool that you think so!

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, let's do a count!

How many of us here have bought this monster?

My copy's ordered, hopefully arrive mid-week.

21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Dr. Tellurian? I love Aliens the Destroying Angels, actually I wouldn't have minded if we got a movie adaptation of that comic instead of Prometheus. Thanks for clarifying though. Not sure why Dass reminded me of DD Lewis :p

Same here :D

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Douglas Wheatley! Awesome!!

I asking for it for Christmas everytime a family member asks that tired old question "What do you want for Christmas?" I might be able to get it myself in the coming weeks, if I actually save my money for once.

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Got my copy yesterday.

Not had chance to look at it yet, but will hopefully do so at the weekend. (But I already love how heavy it feels - I like me my big books :p)

Jedi Ben and spicer like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, got my copy and get this: It's an Absolute+ size hardback, which in width, despite being only about 250 pages manages to, by virtue of those pages being top notch thick paper, almost match the 800-odd pages of the Fantastic Four Hickman Omnibus 2!

When DHC go to town on the production values they kick the crap out of just about everyone. The book is gorgeous and stunning quality.

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Yeah, totally agree with that. Out of all the DH:SW comic lines, I loved this title the most. It was gritty, and unexpected. The art was off the chain, I really, really enjoyed Wheatley's style. Fingers crossed that somehow he ends up doing SW's again.

Anybody that has a copy care to post a quick review?

spicer and Starkeiller like this.