main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Color of The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by entourage, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entourage

entourage Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    So we got the teaser which has some nice shots in it but also some shots some said were a little too modern looking maybe. One example that comes to mind are the Troopers who look fabulous from a design standpoint. It's a matter of taste but I personally am not always a fan of the super modern blueish gradin in modern films. For the fun of it I did a little color grading and in my opinion this is way more OT style. I don't say it's better because we have to wait till we see the scene in its context but I like it a lot [​IMG]. Maybe someone likes it [​IMG]:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Film Grain!

entourage likes this.
  3. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    That looks so much better

I hope the film isn't ruined by filters. It already kind of looks like there's an Instagram filter over the trailer.

4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Everything looks perfectly beautiful. No changes needed.

5. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know what you mean though, in conjunction with the shaky cam it does feel contemporary. But I think it's an environmental thing. They're clearly on some kind of night raid. It would be weird if they were fully lit.

6. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Dude that is def way better nice job.

7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It looks like the OT more, but it also looks like an 80s movie, which is kind of going backwards.

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  8. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    I think the problem is that if you wanted to 100% recreate the look of the OT, which you could, it would have to be a 70s/80s pastiche. And while a part of me would of course love to see that, there would always be this layer of phoniness over everything.

SgtTimBob likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How does it look like an 80s movie? Is anything that's not tinted considered "80s" these days?

Dak Oolron and Darth Lurker like this.
  10. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I just like how the middle trooper there is peeking out like, "Holy crap!"

ObiAlKenobi likes this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not a fan of the grading, but I think it has to look like a contemporay movie for the sake of the market.

12. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I think the OP is spot on. Compressed dynamic range and teal/orange contrast are staples of modern big-budget blockbusters, and JJ takes them to the extreme. It makes images look "clean" and "modern" on a big screen, but I think it ultimately creates flat images that don't feel nearly as "real" or detailed, especially once you're out of the theatre. It's the sodium-packed, processed fast food of cinematography.
    Like fast food, I can dig it as an occasional indulgence, but I don't want it replacing my favorite classic restaurant.
    Thankfully, I believe Rian Johnson has the good taste to avoid this for the most part, so I expect much less of it in 8.

13. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm kind of torn on the issue. I like color grading in moderation in most films, but it seems a little weird in a Star Wars movie. Not that it wasn't used a little bit in the other films, but the Stormtrooper scene in particular feels different. I think it looks cool objectively, but it's hard for me to accept it in Star Wars. This is just me being nitpicky though.

entourage likes this.
  14. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    I think colour grading has its place if the director know how to use them. The Dark Knight has tons of colour grading but no one has any major complaint about them. It's all about knowing how to use it.

If your colour grading is too prominent and artifical, you aren't using them correctly. Abrams has never been good with using camera to tell a visual story. That is my worry.

Mystery Roach and entourage like this.
  15. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it's funny how in modern days everyone is talking about higher and higher resolutions, more fps, more details, more everything, yet the color palette is being reduced in favor of the "artistic style".
    We moved from black&white to full color and now from full color to half-color. Evolution.
    Then reality must feel very 80's to you.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Here's a good shot comparison.

[​IMG]

17. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm so sick of the teal & orange color grading. I would personally love some desaturation in the color to make it look like the OT. Also would LOVE to see some film grain. It would make it look very gritty! It would certainly be a nice change for a blockbuster movie of this magnitude to break the current trend!

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well I completely agree... I'll never particularly like JJ as a director because I think his style is a bit too manufactured and 'false' (for want of a better word)... but I do think a new SW film should look like it's made in a modern style (whilst keeping with the original asthetic of course).

19. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Why does everything have to look like the OT?

Acroyear and Bennihana like this.
  20. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Let me repost in here. You cant look at the color grading of a youtube video geniuses!

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  21. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    The colour will be fine, unless they change it to black and white

22. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Yeah you can. The color grading is so blatantly different that it's naive to think one being a trailer on the internet changes anything.

23. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

I hope you do realise that the OT X-Wing is flying in outer space and the ST one on a planet in broad daylight. The colors are bound to be different.

24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think you could choose a shot from inside a snowspeeder in broad daylight and you can still see the obvious differences. It's inferior IMHO (I.e. inferior to both the OT and PT) but it's also reflective of just modern filmmaking sensibilities... so I'm not blaming JJ, it's just contemporary styles.

entourage likes this.
  25. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Thank you. That's how the bloody movie should look.

They can't get away with that teal %#@$& on Star Wars!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.