main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer - Thoughts and Observations

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sterling3763, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  2. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Already did. (Admitted I was wrong above too)

Dra--- and Mr.Wedge Antilles like this.
  3. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised at how similar The Force Awakens looks in comparison to the prequels

Remember that a bunch of the visual FX artists that worked on the prequels are working on the sequel trilogy. And remember that the main conceptual artists from the prequels are back for the sequels, as well. All we're really missing is a Jango Fett tap dance routine and Rick McCallum saying "Let me call George. This is going to be ******* awesome. I just got back from Prague, I was meeting with Liam."

starocean90 and cwustudent like this.
  4. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014

Making Star Wars has a very good breakdown of the trailer. Give it a look!

5. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

I really don't see how they can analyze the teaser when, as I noted above, we have zero context whatsoever for what we were shown. Any 'analysis' anyone does is mere speculation at this point, which isn't really the kind of situation you should have when you're trying to tease a film for the first time, at least not if you're doing your job right.

I don't know whose decision it was not to at least have released a synopsis of the film before the teaser came out, but it was the wrong call to make.

6. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    LOVE the ball droid, wasn't sure about the concept art but it works on film.

The X-wings sure look like they're flying over the lakes in Naboo. How cool would it be to see Naboo star fighters and X-wings teaming up in a dogfight!

7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Nothing against MakingStarWars, he's been nothing but good to this forum, but I like doing my own speculating.

HL&S likes this.
  8. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
  9. RyanForder

Mar 3, 2014

Okay each to their own i guess, it's just because he says exactly the same thing about the TIE fighters so i thought you may find it a good read.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  10. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    I love how everyone in the teaser is rushing towards something. You really get the sense that these are very different characters whose destinies are about to collide. The best teasers have this "It's coming. Get ready!" vibe to them, and this carries it in spades.

I remember King3000 stating that in the cantina scene Boyega tells Daisy and Han "I didn't want to fight". Maybe he's explaining to them why he defected, and that TIE battle in the trailer is the fight he was trying to avoid. Maybe when he realized he'd been ordered to shoot down the Millennium Falcon, a ship everyone must recognize by now, he decided he'd had enough and bailed.

11. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I know, I just read. What I mean to say is that I prefer to do my own speculating before reading others.

RyanForder likes this.
  12. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    The more I listen to the voiceover, the more my brain is trying to convince me it sounds like Max Von Sydow.

I'm now even convinced I can hear that ever so slight Scandinavian twang he has when it says "the dark side ...and the light"

So, it will probably end up being Serkis or Cumberbatch haha!

13. RyanForder

Mar 3, 2014
    People making a judgment about the film already after watching an 88 second trailer. Best part about it is we didn't see much and the majority of the trailer took place on one planet! and my guess is the Falcon is racing off the planet. Basically we saw little clips of probably the first 20 minutes of the film?

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's Serkis:

Satipo and KeithyT like this.
  15. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    To be more accurate, JJ is notorious for being one of a handful of directors that does not color grade or over expose film to the digital intermediate so his stuff still, aesthetically at least, looks like it actually is shot on film and could be from pre 2000. So what on Earth are you talking about.
    As far as this color comparison goes? Youre comparing a gif of a youtube video under not identical lighting conditions from an finished movie with a lower quality remastered dvd footage gif.
    Yeh..

16. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Well after trying to access this site for the last several hours i can finally add my two cents!

The teaser had me giddy as a school boy the whole way through! When John Boyega popped up at the start i nearly flipped over in my chair!
    That little Rolly droid thing was pretty weird. Then we see the Sith dude with the funky cross bladed lightsaber. Wondering if that has a purpose or if it's just for flair. Not sure what to think of it. Has there ever been a saber design like that in star wars before. I mean in the EU perhaps? I only follow the movies so I wouldn't know. I'm really curious to know who that is. Then finally the millennium falcon flies again in the final scene and man what a rush!
    It's like i was a kid all over again watching Empire for the first time! It sucks so much that we have a whole year of waiting left.

The overall reactions seem quite positive!

17. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think it's a female and it's Gwen Christie!

18. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Thanks Iron_lord i can't deny it sounds like Serkis.

(Frowns like Homer) Stupid brain!

Satipo and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012

Yup. Couldn't have said it better myself. Finally, some logic in this hive of scum and villainy :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    It's definitely not ridiculous criticism. Robo_obi, the still shots you posted are from when the ships are about the leave the planet, not fly on it. That's totally different.

Both the X-wing and the Falcon seemed to be doing a lot more than just "leaving the atmosphere" in the trailer. They were fighting for god sake! And as far as I can remember, we've never seen spaceships used for space fight on a planet's surface. And now all of a sudden we've got TIE-fighters down on Tatooine. All those battle ships in AOTC and the ones on Hoth in ESB were, precisely, BATTLE ships and NOT space ships. I really don't understand the point of having spaceships fight on the ground, when it's already been established in the Star Wars universe that the characters use different ships for different environments. What's next? A speeder in space with a character using a space suit?

I'm still hoping that there will be fights in space too.... Otherwise what's the point of calling it "Star Wars".

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And it shows that lens flare was a Star Wars thing - the ANH stormtrooper has a strong case of it.
    Rebels TV series (from where your avatar comes) has a lot of TIE fighter in atmosphere fights.

Darth_Downunder, Dra--- and EviL_eLF like this.
  22. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that thing is going to be the big seller next Christmas.

23. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    I just said the same exact thing in the "New R2" thread about 2 minutes ago XD
    Great minds think alike ;)

Iron_lord and plaidphoenix like this.
  24. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Anyone else notice Oscar's face looks a little scuffed up like he's been smacked around a little? Unsurprisingly though as he is in fact a warrior; in this case a fighter pilot. I don't know if there is any implications to this or if it even warrants any speculation, just thought it was a nice detail.

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I didn't feel it looked overly color graded at all. Loved the look of it.