main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Fab news. Fab.

Orci it out, and Edgar Wright is being looked at as the possible replacement

More here.

PiettsHat and TrandoJedi like this.
  2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I can't wait to find out where Spock is!

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Were you a Prefect, Adam?

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Orci probably got booted because the studio was always wary of a completely inexperienced director helming a big-budget film. If studios cared about his conspiracy nut crap, they probably wouldn't have let him write a bunch of *****y films in the first place. I still expect the movie to be terrible because-- now more than ever-- Hollywood hates brain cells, though perhaps less terrible than if Orci had been allowed to run things.

MagnaZero, Abadacus and Sarge like this.
  7. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Yeah, but we know Edgar Wright's not going to stand for some crappy sanitized Weinsteinified version of his vision if he's at the helm. Most replacements would have made me just shrug, but Edgar Wright is SLIGHTLY heartening.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Badass Digest is reporting that the script Orci has written involves the Enterprise, the Vulcans, and a new alien race searching for some kind of time travel device, which would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner's Kirks to meet on screen.

Wonder how it stands now?

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Joe Cornish("Attack The Block") was close to getting the job, before Orci forced his way into the position.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Can he write the script too while he's at it. Would add some genuine warmth and wit and remove all the 9/11-truther bull****

TX-20, Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  11. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    who the hell is orci?

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not actually anywhere in the script.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's there. Shadow governments. Intelligence operatives carrying out terrorist attacks on their home soil. An attempt to incite a war by said shadow government.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's all magically real, you just have to believe.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ah, such innocence.

16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    We're all poops an giggles now, but just wait until Paramount announces they've hired Michael Bay to direct.

ST 1/11 is certainly flawed, but I also think it's a lot of fun, and exactly what ST needed at the time. ST:ID got sidetracked by (among other things) unnecessary fan service. I just hope whoever gets the gig here gets the chance to put their own spin on it. If that's making it a fun romp ala The Voyage Home, or embracing "big idea" sci-fi like The Motion Picture. I'd prefer it be something personal from the director, not another widget down the assembly line.

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd like to see Joe Wright direct a Trek movie. That would be something new.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    As long as it's not another glorified remake like the last one, I have hope it could be good. JJ's first ST was a fun romp that injected life into an ailing franchise, Into Darkness then went backwards.

Nobody145 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    This movie is just to big for a first time director.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Except in this case the former intelligence operative carries out an attack against the covert intelligence apparatus itself, not at the behest of it. So it doesn't fit the truther narrative. Just because Orci is said to be a truther, that doesn't mean his work must be an expression of trutherism. By that logic Fat Albert was really about raping women.

You'll find that the concept of governments attempting to incite war predates trutherism by a fairly wide berth. Bush and Cheney capitalized on a terrorist attack by using it as justification for a war they had already wanted. This is not conspiracy theory; this really happened. Does it sound at all familiar? Marcus similarly capitalized on Khan's attack by trying to use Kirk's mission to provoke war with the Klingons. If anything the film models reality, not trutherism.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

No, you just have to Bo-Lieve!

[​IMG]

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ack! The Steriod Mickey Mouse!

23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Into Darkness was my second least favourite Trek movie (after Insurrection), if the next one can move away from that then getting rid of the guy who co-wrote the script is a good start.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Edgar Wright on Star Trek could be strangely awesome.

25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I've got such mixed feelings on Edgar Wright. On one hand, anything he's done with Simon Pegg has been brilliant. On the other, Scott Pilgrim was an abomination of a movie that should never have seen the light of day.