main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Hey all, I've found some stuff that ought to be added to Wookiepedia, and to the general knowledge-base of us all. These are from Riders of the Maelstrom. The first should delight us maximalists, as it relates the size of typical Sectorial troop depolyments of the Imperial military. More specifically, it establishes that there was an average of 1.5 million troops PER SECTOR around 0BBY:

[​IMG]

Also of note from the same source is an Imperial Surface Marshall, Vatoki:
    [​IMG]

Marhsall is his title, not his first name. And given that he is a retired ARMY officer, he can be confidently assumed to be one of few named Surface Marshalls. Speaking of which, there's at least one other named Surface Marshall: VeNiste, Surface Marshall of Trans-Nebular Sector. He appears on page 69 of Goroth: Slave of the Empire:
    [​IMG]

Vatoki is currently on Wookiepedia, though is not identified as a retired Surface Marshall, and VeNiste does not even have a page (yet).

So, in addition to creating a page for Surface Marshall VeNiste, the pages for Surface Marshall, Vatoki, the sectors governed by Moff's Vanko and Torpin, and the general page for a Sector should also be updated.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would recommend spelling it Marshal anyway, even if WEG used two l's just because it's pretty clearly a misspelling.

Love the bit about fighter pilots disliking "mudworms" though -- guess that's the Imperial version of "ground pounder."

SheaHublin likes this.
  3. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    There's still a lot of such forgotten gems buried among the pages of WEG. Interestingly enough about the Marshal/Marshall spelling is that if it is an error then it is a consistent one, despite different authors and some years in between the two sources.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Whenever I went to Wookieepedia to read about a subject, I was disappointed. It really is a collection of facts in a fictional canon, nothing more. Just a bunch of people treating fiction like reality. There is little room for interpretation, discussion or creativity. That's why I prefer boards like these. If I really want to know more about something, I go to the primary source and ignore the Wook summary.

As for spending time on the Wook as an editor: All power to you, but to me it almost seems like a waste of creative talent.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why is that? Shouldn't it instead be commended that so many strive to be serious in the way SW is conveyed and understood? Stories need structure, Pevra.

6. SheaHublin

Feb 15, 2008
    I'm actually not an editor or contributor to Wookiepedia. I'm quite content with letting others update things as they should be. For example, somebody got an article up on the Sixth Dignitary with astonishing alacrity:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_Imperial_Advisor_(blue_robe)

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

[​IMG]

"That's the idea"

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The Star Wars canon isn't one story, Cushy. That would require consistency and coherency and there is little. It is more like a sandbox in which many kids go to play. It will always be a multiverse with all its flaws and strengths because the minds of the creators themselves are different, their perceptions and interpretations. This allows for an EU in which most everyone will find something they like, but not for a very coherent one.

Trying to make it into something it is not, one singular coherent story, is a waste of time. If you are searching for that, you are better off delving into an universe that is written by a single creator.

The Wook would be more useful if it were some kind of guide, giving you general information about the different works so that you, as a fan, get an impression on what you're going to read/watch. That way, the fan can make a more informed decision on what to buy.

I mean, I like some coherency in the SW EU like the next guy/gal, but it isn't the Wookieepedians job to assure that, it's the creator's. We have little influence on that and no matter our efforts, we can't make the universe appear more coherent and consistent than it actually is.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Considering that the official site decided to lean on the resources of Wookieepedia in its current state I think it's onto something. Or, rather, it serves for the most part the function it should.

Eyrezer likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What, before or since the Disney deal? As I understand it, the holocrone and story group are supposed to be the go-to for authors. As it should be.

11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    The Wook is a good site for just looking for a quick reference or if you want to look someting up about a particular character. The one issue I have with the Wook is it just seems like a bunch of people who have little to no experience in creating websites trying to create a website. The result has been that it has become very unorganized and hard to follow unless you know exactly where to look.

I think if they had all just pooled some money together and paid someone who knows how to create websites instead of doing it themselves it all would have turned out better.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ...but that's not the point of Wookieepedia? What's great about (most) wiki sites is that they're not dependent on a few overlords with $ in their pockets calling the shots. They're everyday people who are genuinely knowledgeable and interested enough in something to put time into updating entries and citing sources.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But often enough, you have to wade through a waves and waves of trivia and overdetailed event descriptions and get confused after short time. I once read the Luke Skywalker article with my sisters. Lets just say we had a great laugh.

The Wook is really not newbie friendly.

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

And that is great if the people actually know what they are doing. However if they don't really know what they are doing and they try to deal with a project as expansive as Star Wars well the Wook shows you what you will end up with.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Wook has a lot of issues with style, elevation of obscurity over clarity, and continuing fanon issues but as a resource of first resort it's fulfilled its primary purpose I think.

Suppose one of the wage here makes s reference to Mofferences. I, hypothetically, have never heard of them and don't get the joke. I can look them up, find out they're from GoDV, daisy chain that to finding out the book is a joke and suddenly I know what's going on.

I dislike when the Wook is used as a substitute for evidence or argument, but it's one of the more useful Wikis out there -- as evidenced by Leland's persistent dismay at authors using it instead of the Holocron. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    :confused:

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    By joke, I mean of course "they are the truest books in the franchise."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Lando Swarm and CooperTFN like this.
  18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The Glove of Darth Vader is the unfoggiest window we have to the Star Wars universe. It's actually quite a silly place.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoy several wikis for that reason. The MyWikia app on my iPad has Wookieepedia, Futurepedia and The Big Bang Theory Wiki bookmarked.

Content is more important than website layout and I think most of the wikis have a generic template that is easy to follow anyway?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  20. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I think it would have been funny if they gave Sheldon a hot girlfriend like they did Urkel in Family Matters.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I took one of those "Which BBT character are you?" quizzes and I got Amy.

Not that it matters.

22. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Well you know you aren't her because she doesn't like Star Wars and you post on a Star Wars message board.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't like Star Wars and I post on a Star Wars message board.

Lando Swarm and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. She also likes Little House on the Prairie, which is just...I don't even...what?

And she doesn't think Indiana Jones is necessary to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

So...yeah. Wookieepedia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Buzzfeed quizzes that anakinfan takes when she's bored.

Pfluegermeister and CT-867-5309 like this.