main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Top Gear

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I appreciate there is a significant amount of sarcasm invested in that statement, but nonetheless I'm going to take it at face value.

Ahem...

I was pleased they didn't. This Special was a step up from stupid larks. Falling in the river would've been lazy.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Bearing in mind the whole show is basically a "set-up", you do expect stupid things to happen. Whether it's Jeremy's log smashing his mirror, or taking pieces off each others cars. You would expect something to go wrong in the river crossing, especially when Jeremy decides to use his car to pull the others over.

One would have expected Jeremy to destroy May's car, forcing him to use the Scorpio. So that part felt like a bit of an anti-climax (so no, not sarcasm)

The whole river thing, when you think about it, is stupid anyway. They have maps. They know where the roads are. They are not going to just meet up with an impassable river.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Silliness was starting to overcome the specials (the India one being the best or worst example). Japes are fine, but outright catastrophe always feels artificial (even though we know everything is).

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I liekd how the Africa Specials were done, beautiful scenery aside you really got the impression they were working as a team much of the time and the cars largely survived most of the trip.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The new series starts on Sunday at 8pm on BBC2

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Anyone watching the new series?

I loved all the stuff in the first episode, especially the Police chase

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    First episode was good fun. Found the 2nd dull - don't even remember what happened in it!

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I enjoyed the stuff with Chernobyl, it's always a fascinating place to see.

Plus it's good to have regular cars featured on the show.

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Dullest episodes in living history

10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    At least they deviated from the standard "producers give a seemingly easy assignment, the trio end up called dumbasses cause it's not what they thought." The initial assignment actually was that easy.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Clarkson suspended for supposedly punching a Top Gear producer. The rest of the show won't air for the time being.

Seems like this could be the end for JC, as popular as he is he's becoming a liability for the BBC.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC London had a couple of phone-ins about that today and quite a few people suggested Chris Evans as a possible replacement. He's no stranger to cars - has reviews in the Mail On Sunday Event magazine.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Captain Slow meets Captain America

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Evans could be OK, he would at least be a fresh face after years of the old boys.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Clarkson's not been sacked and Evans ruled himself out on Radio this morning.

This is another storm in a teacup.
    Don't get me wrong, Clarkson is a oaf (albeit amusing) but from what has been leaked so far, the producer involved has said himself it's handbags and he has no interest in taking anything further.

The BBC is doing this purely because of Clarkson's past, if they don't do it the Daily Mail readership will be up in arms, if he gets reinstated or sacked the Mail won't be happy unless he's hung drawn and quartered.

Top Gear will be off the air for a few weeks, Clarkson will be reprimanded and be reminded of his responsibilities and the BBC will issue something that gives them wiggle room as they put him on his "final absolutely no messing around now last warning"

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Lets not forget the Mirror's involvement who thought it would be a good idea to name the other party involved...

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    True.

The Fleet St papers have a major issue with Clarkson, as I said he's an oaf and if he goes too far deserves to be sacked but all he needs to do is fart out of key at the moment and the papers will have him for it.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    What annoys me is the hypocritical nature of the BBC. All the complaints so far (eenymeeny-gate aside) are down to things they deemed acceptable to broadcast, then made Clarkson a scapegoat when complaints came in. And now something less 'offensive' happens behind the scenes and suddenly it's unacceptable.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    All very true and eenymeeny-gate wasn't even broadcast

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Exactly. That was spread by, gasp, the Mirror!

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Looks like he's definitely gone. An unfortunate end, but the BBC had little option if they were to retain credibility. You can't assault staff & be let off by your employer, I wouldn't be.

I wonder if May & Hammond will stay on without him.

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Footballers get away with it all the time. Every year we read about some punch up at some Christmas party. But I think they made the right call. James May has already changed his Twitter profile to former TV presenter. I expect Sky are getting the chequebooks out as we speak.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not really a fan of the show but I feel sorry for those who are. One person's idiocy shouldn't mean the end of it. Hopefully it will come back with Hammond and May and a new lead presenter. Apparently the producer that was assaulted has been getting death threats on social media.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Right decision made considering the circumstances. I'm a big fan of the show but no TV Star should be able the rules and as he broke them in the manner he did then he signed his own pink slip.

As Hammond and May's contract are up this year I can see a very similar look show appearing on ITV or Sky very shortly though. The BBC have to keep hold of May and Hammond and get is a new lead host who the audience will like to give them any chance of keeping the Top Gear name running with any level of credibility, if all three go prior to the new series next year I don't think it'll get the same level of following as the chemistry between those three are what really sold the show in many respects.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    BBC News is reporting that the producer Clarkson assaulted will not press charges.