main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, Nintendo World Report has pointed out some interesting details about this picture released to promote the game:

[​IMG]

Besides the different enemies (some that may not have been seen since SM64), they point out attention to the upper right hand corner- beyond the Bowser Theme Park...

ENHANCE!

[​IMG]

Looks like maybe Rosalina will be involved again this time around- perhaps a connection to the green haired princess in the trailer?

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just a thought I had, but I knew the cherry splitting power reminded me of something- anyone else remember the Mario 128 (what would become Sunshine) spaceworld demo from 2000?

[​IMG]

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone here pick it up yet? I've had to put it off a week or two due to the Zelda/3DS purchase, but the reviews have been very good, as one would expect.

4. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Don't play the WiiU myself but Mike at Cinemasacre.com (ie. the site run by the Angry Video Game Nerd) has a 20 min quick look which looks pretty cool:

5. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    From what I've seen, this game looks more fun than the Galaxy games were. I wish to play it one day.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Picked it up yesterday, quite fun so far. The screen I'm playing it on isn't the greatest, but so far the graphics have been very nice, a bit above what last year's Mario had. Not to mention having everything in 3D (after the New Mario games we've been getting) is a nice treat. Still only in the second world, but very fun so far. The catsuit is pretty useful, climbing walls and having a... what do you call it, air-dash? Um, something like what the old Cape from Super Mario had (that sharp diagonal dive). Though just got to be careful not to fall off stages, or even the back of stages, I'm only a mediocre player.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    This game is frickin' hard!

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Just spent half my Thanksgiving holiday getting to the end. Mostly sure that wasn't a waste of my holiday, as this is probably the best game since the Galaxy games. Great graphics, fun power-ups, its so fun to see four or five Marios on screen on once and trying to keep them from getting killed. The ending is quite chaotic, but very fun to watch and play.

The only major negative I'd mention is that certain boss stages require you have so many green stars to get there- which I find very annoying since sometimes just finishing a stage is difficult, but getting enough stars just makes it worse.

Still, very fun game, loved it, now just have to take a break before attempting the star world (that shouldn't be a spoiler, there's usually one of those in most major Mario games).

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, first impressions on the game after clearing pretty much everything in the first 2 worlds except 1 max flagpole and 2 or 3 stamps...

I'm a little underwhelmed. But I think that's because this is not like any prior 3D Mario game (can't speak for 3D Land though, haven't played that yet)- it's very much a 3D version of the NSMB series. And, having just played and beaten NSMBU about a year ago and having the Luigi U expansion waiting on my shelf, it just feels too similar too soon.

If NSMB was an update of SMB1, NSMBW was an update of SMB3 and NSMBU was an update of SMW, this game feels like an update of SMB2 merged with SMB3 with some 3D Mario elements added into the mix. Now, that's not a bad thing- I love Mario 2, so having the full cast with their individual powers (LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM THE START WITH NSMBW!) as well as stuff like slot machines and such is fantastic.

The game also handles very differently- gone are most (though not all) of the acrobatics of the SM64/SMS/SMG series (Farewell, double/triple jumps, how I loved thee). Levels being mostly linear and also implementing functional flagpole goals for the first time also evokes the 2D series design.

That said, the powerups are very cool so far (this is the best 3D representation of Fire Flower power ever) and even the first Morton fight felt a little tricky/challenging for the first time in over 20 years.

The story is almost nonexistent- they don't even tell you who/what you're trying to save and don't even name the region except on a menu map or something (though, points for the lovely detail of a Kraken Blooper on the map).

I have a feeling the game will certainly surprise me later on (most of these games lately take a couple worlds before providing an interesting challenge) but for now it falls a little shy in the 3D Mario spectrum but excels in the 2D Mario spectrum. I don't think it lives up to the "This is greatest adventure game I've ever played" review hype it recieved, however it is a solid, polished game that will deliver a great Mario platformer experience. I would just recommend spacing out it and any of the NSMB series with some other titles, otherwise you might detect a lack of variety like I did.

11. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    What you're describing is pretty much how I felt when I first started playing, only for me it got worse, and that was probably exacerbated by the fact that I'm a completionist and HAVE to finish each level 100% before I can move on. I ended up despising the game by the time I got to the final world. I don't know if Nintendo is out of ideas or if they're just plain lazy, but aside from the powerups and annoying circus levels nothing really struck me as new or original in the game. Overall it was incredibly monotonous and really devoid of interesting content like the NSMB series. I definitely wish I'd gone with Wind Waker HD instead.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have a hard time saying it was less interesting than NSMB series- I think it's clear ties to that make the 3D elements added in more fresh than NSMBU was. NSMBU does have a fuller feeling world and more of a clear storyline (albeit an extremely familiar one).

I'd wait for the next true installment in the 3D series before suggesting Nintendo is out of ideas, though. The NSMB/SLU/SM3DW series may have run it's course at this point, but seeing what follows 64/SMS/SMG will be a better place to judge that, I think. At the very least, the SMG series could still support a new entry with minimal additions and not feel tired. At best, we'll get something new entirely.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

While searching for SMS screenshots the other night, I stumbled upon this neat wiki page on SMS cut and beta content that was hacked out of the game code and it's a really interesting read if you're a fan of the game.

Highlights include enemies from the beta, model analysis revealing that the giant eel in Noki Bay has a notably high polygon count for it's throat and stomach, even though the camera never follows Mario inside the creature if it swallows him (which indicates there was originally something intended to be done inside the beastie), human tourists on the island (apparently included so that early concepts that involved a man following Mario around to operate the water devices would make the man feel les sout of place amongst the island inhabitants), unused (or muted) dialogue audio and, most interesting of all, evidence that the game originally used a train system to navigate the island instead of the warps- and that the list of destinations includes areas not found in the final game (including "Battleship Island Harbor", "Lighthouse Island Harbor", "Flame Temple", "Erto Rock" and "Hotel Lacrima").

One of these areas can be glimpsed at a distance (alongside a possible train bridge connection) from the SMS E3 debut trailer in a view from that early, very different version of Delfino Plaza, which this one youtube video highlights:

That led me to find this pretty decent mini documentary on the evolution of the game's development:

Anyways, from digging through that site, one i dea did occur to me though- they point out that goop/pollution map for Ricco Harbor had multiple versions in the code and that the earliest version actually contains positioning of goop in an area that would seemingly be beyond the bounds of the map as we know it.

So, when combined with the notion that each level originally either had some kind of train stop port or additional island accessible by a separate train stop, I can't help but come to the conclusion that that goop map reveals the phantom location of where the Ricco Harbor train station once stood.

[​IMG]

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I will say that the level designs do get increasingly more creative- I'm in the cloud world now but a couple worlds ago there was a very fun Mario Kart-themed level that was pretty damn fun. These great ideas and designs do elevate the game somewhat, but it still doesn't quite achieve the core 3D Mario vibe even if it is excelling as an evolution of the 2D series.

15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So since the Zelda series has its own thread, I figured Mario should too. I mean, there are already threads for specific Mario subseries like NSMB and Mario Kart, but nothing for the Mario franchise as a whole. I figure we can use this thread for general Super Mario discussion and for when news hits.

So, in the plumber's own words, here we go!

I just finished up Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and completed it 100%, including all Super Gems, all Bonus courses, including the infamous Mummy-Me Maze Forever, and completed all the time challenges for all the courses. Has anyone else played this one yet? Great little game, and after Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario 3D Land and World, and now Captain Toad, it seems like EAD Tokyo can truly do no wrong with the Mario series.

Here's hoping they're working on a Super Mario Galaxy U!

Anyway, what are your favorite Mario games, and which ones are you most looking forward to playing?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
  16. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I beat Super Mario 3D World not too long ago, working on unlocking all the bonus levels. I'm curious about Captain Toad and New Super Mario Bros U, but they aren't that high on my list of games to get.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Super Mario 64

GOAT

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Although 3D platformers are my favorite genre of video game, Super Mario World is my favorite Mario game it is just so perfect in every way! Super Mario 64 I recently got a boxed copy of at a used game store and I enjoy playing it more than the DS version, the only version I had played previously (Banjo-Kazooie is till the best 3D platformer on the 64 tho).

I would like to see a Super Mario game with a big open world like Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie or Spyro were you just explore a world before heading into levels. SM64 only has the castle to explore and Super Mario Sunshine only had Isle Delfino I want much much more!

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    What the hellllllllll....

TrandoJedi likes this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

God I hate glitch exploits.

21. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite and very underrated. The only other people I've seen that agrees with me is Danny from Game Grumps and my little brother.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked playing that game. Got a good ways into it but never finished it.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Its right up there with Galaxy in my book loads of fun. I will never get why people didn't like it because the levels were "too grounded in reality." I like thinking that isle delfino exists as a somewhat realistic vacation resort in an otherwise trippy mushroom kingdom. Its really quite funny and refreshing.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I really do wonder how the hell people find them in the first place.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been meaning to get Galaxy for years. Just never got around to it. Sunshine has so many good moments and levels. .

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.