main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Obi-Wan/Padme deleted scene: A potential high-point of ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by drg4, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Frankly I think that deleting the Padme/Obi-Wan scene is a plus for the film. By its absence, it puts you more into Anakin's shoes as his paranoia starts to grow. If it was there in the film, we'd see it's just a nice, innocent little moment between friends. We'd know that Anakin is starting to get suspicious and slipping into the dark side. But without seeing it, we're more in the dark like him.

2. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    That's a good point!

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That's a very articulate defence.

That's also true: we're placed more in Anakin's frame.

I suppose this is where, why, and how the picture sort of transformed into "Anakin's" movie in the editing process, becoming structured more around his POV and his struggles.

Just as Anakin blocks out help from those who might be trying to help -- in the spirit of: "those who cannot be counselled cannot be helped" -- so, too, do his story needs supercede and efface those of even the people his character is closest to and putatively "loves".

This is his tragedy, his movie, his hour to shine; and to fall.

4. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

I see where you are coming from but.... I don't think one could ever really get into the head of Anakin at this time. I don't think you can identify with him as he descends into that sort of madness (evil). I would argue that knowing that others around him are thinking of him, caring about what was happening to him would add to the tragedy of his paranoia, a paranoia fed by Sidious because he cares only for what Anakin can be for him. I don't, personally, think that being ambiguous about how mistaken and misled he was about the reality of his situation adds anything to the film or the saga. The only thing it 'adds' is the ability to question whether he was all that wrong.

CT-867-5309, FARK2005, ILNP and 5 others like this.
  5. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    There were a lot of scenes that I did not understand why they were cut to be honest. This one would have been good to have as it shows that Obi-Wan knows and cares about his friends.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm glad it was cut. Even more Jedi deception wouldn't help anything.

7. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    I wish that wasn't cut! Why wasn't it in the deleted scenes of the movie at least? (I don't recall it being there at least)

That scene was perfect. It adds to the tragic irony. It shows that Obi-Wan was trustworthy, and that Anakin could've fully opened up to him about his marriage and the Padme vision as well.

Even without that, it sounds like a beautiful scene. Honestly, I think that scene had some of the best characterization of the entire PT... and it didn't even make the cut....

Thanks for posting this!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Do we know if that scene was actually shot? It was scripted and the actors were on set and we know that there was a longer version of the later Obi-Wan and Padme scene with his arrival (in the film it cut to after his arrival) but like the extra lines between Luke and Obi-Wan talking about the duel and his brother was it actually shot or not?

Great point.

The other thing that occurs to me about the scene as written there is nothing to tell us whether or not Obi-Wan recognizes Padme is pregnant or not. Now something like that is going to be cued visually and Obi-Wan wouldn't bring it up at that point like he does later but this would presumably be the first time he's seen her since getting back to Coruscant.

As in the movie the point that he dropped by is made but no mention is made of him noticing anything. At this point for Obi-Wan it's rather an open secret for him at least that Anakin and Padme are in love.

Some things have to go or the movie which is 20 minutes longer suddenly. Good things have to be cut.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi deception?

I personally think that it should have been kept. At least the novel has it.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Any scene with more Obi Wan would have been great

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, the fact he says he won't tell the Council that makes him complicit in Anakin's compromised state. Obi-Wan absolutely should've brought out openly, even more so Anakin himself. His skewed approach to Padme was a key to what happens.

I attempted to read the novel but I quit because it didn't sit right.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This any scene with Obi Wan makes it 10 times better then it already was.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  13. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

100% agree with you, but, let me also add this.

If that scene is left in, than later on Obi Wan looks like a complete fool when Yoda sends him after Anakin, and Obi Wan declares he doesn't know where to look for him. Yoda tells him to use his feelings and he will find him. Next scene is Obi Wan at Padme's apartment. Where we get the "He is the Father..." line from Obi Wan. This should tell us all we need to know that Obi Wan has always known that there was something going on between Anakin and Padme. He isn't just going to show up at Padme's on a hunch.

If the deleted scene is left in, it makes Obi Wan foolish because it is already established that Obi Wan knew where to look the first time...

Andy Wylde and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks for posting this OP. I'd never come across it before. I do quite like it. That said, it breaks a huge screenwriting rule (show, not tell.) So I can understand why it could have deleted in that regard.

And now I'll shut writer me off:

The opportunity to see more with Obi-Wan and Padme is great. Obi-Wan holding that secret shows his brotherly connection with Anakin. It's nice to see that Obi-Wan cares about Anakin in the way he reveals on Mustafar; he's not just a mentor or surrogate parent. I would love to have seen Ewan's body language during this part of the conversation. So the fan part of me says, agrees on why was it deleted...

(Any additional time with Obi-Wan would be fantastic. So hoping for a stand alone movie or three.)

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm guessing it was deleted because it didn't really add anything . We know later in the film that Obi-Wan is aware that something, on some level, is going on between them. it maybe have been nice, but there comes a point where they know they have to ruthless about cutting things when a movie is over 2 hours.

16. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Well scenes like this one here show how much Obi Wan cares for Anakin and Padme. This shows the character growth of Obi Wan and how he really cherished Anakin's friendship by not letting the other Jedi know he was involved with Padme. And we see how Obi Wan knows about the pregnancy and never says anything until Anakin is going down the wrong path.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, it sounds like a nice scene, and in a vacuum it seems like it would have been a great idea to include it. But looking at the larger picture, I can understand why it was cut.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it as a deleted scene, though!

enigmaticjedi and Andy Wylde like this.
  18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed! This scene should have been kept.

1. It shows Obi-Wan's growth. It TPM and AOTC he was more of a stickler for the Code and following the Council's orders. He probably would have told on them then. Now in ROTS, Obi-Wan is still a model Jedi, but he's less concerned about said things.

2. Obi-Wan and Padme, they didn't get quite enough scenes together in the PT.

3. It gives Padme more sceentime.

4. It shows that Anakin is wrong and that Obi-Wan could be trusted. Also it shows Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship.

5. It ties well in with the later scene, "Anakin is the father, isn't he?" How Obi-Wan knows to go to Padme.

19. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    I disagree, I think it would just make it clear that Obi-Wan was making excuses; which is how I read the line anyways.

That scene would also have made clear that Obi-Wan's failure to kill Anakin in Mustafar was out of attachment and not out of the cold pragmatism some suggest.

20. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    It's a pretty good scene. A high point of the movie, definitely not but it seems worth leaving in.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It sounds tender, as Pevra said....but as Ingram said, it's entirely redundant. The scene doesn't really add anything, imo.

I already knew that Obi-Wan and Padme both cared about Anakin and wanted to help him. I already knew that Obi-Wan knew something about Anakin and Padme.

I never felt Anakin was treated harshly, coldly, or unfairly, especially not by Obi-Wan.

I already felt the tragedy of Anakin betraying those who cared about him. They already had my sympathy.

I'm not sure it would help make Anakin look like Obi-Wan's "good friend", seeing how they're not together in the scene.

I don't see how it makes Anakin's paranoia any less crazy. I don't see how it makes it seem, even from Anakin's pov, that Obi-Wan and Padme were boning behind Anakin's back. I'm not even sure I'd want Anakin to have any reason, regardless how weak, to suspect infidelity there. I'd rather Anakin just not suspect that at all.

I didn't feel in the dark at all. I felt the situation was very plain to see, and that Anakin was obviously way off the mark.

Yes, I know I'm responding to a two year old post.

I thought the movie definitely established that Obi-Wan was trustworthy, and that Anakin's thoughts were completely insane.

22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I prefer what happens in the film, when Obi-Wan states that he knows about the relationship in Padme's apartment nearer the end. It shows that Obi knew about the relationship but was keeping in to himself. It shows how bad they were about hiding their relationship.

23. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    At the time IMAX had at 2 hour limitation due to the plates used to load the film. However, the IMAX version was its own beast and was supervised by Ben Burtt. The edit used the max amount of time available and ended at 2 hours exactly with the fade out and fanfare. Credits we're run on traditional 35mm projectors in the theaters so they could maximize the screen time.

As for the scene I'm fairly divided because most of this info in conveyed in what I believe is the best scene in the entire Saga (obi-Wan/Padme balcony scene). However, it is interesting to have the reveal that Kenobi knows about their relationship earlier in the film, and keeps quiet. It makes for a powerful moment.

Yancy

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  25. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    It's a fantastic edit of the film, And although it drops about 12 minutes of exposition, it's a much tighter film. The IMAX edit is probably my second favorite Star Wars film and I wish it were made available.