main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVII All About Anaheim - Airports, Hotels, Parks, & More!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Miana Kenobi, Jul 31, 2013.

1. lucaslinda

lucaslinda Jedi Master

Jul 21, 2003
    Wow- fantastic thread! Will be checking daily as we zero in on the one year mark in April. I did notice there's a bit of conflict on information regarding shuttle from Ontario / John Wayne Airport. Some say there is one, some say there isn't?? Anyone know for sure and if it does make more sense to fly in there vs the jungle of the LA Airport with traffic probs? I'm thinking of flying in, taking a shuttle, experiencing CVII and then renting a car and heading up north. Thanks for all of this information, Miana. You've been here for earlier Celebrations, and I knew we can count on you this time, too.

2. walldoggy

walldoggy Jedi Knight

Aug 7, 2013
    If you can swing it, I would recommend flying into the John Wayne. It IS a smaller airport with less airlines flying into it, so it will generally be a little more expensive. But it's about half the distance compared to LAX. And with traffic, the time can be more than double to get to Anaheim.

3. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Thank you. That's the kind of information some of us can use.

4. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
    Flights for April 2015 are being taken at American Airlines,
    Delta, US Airways and United. I've been checkng since
    last Tuesday. Fares are running between $440/$550, non
    stop with a possibility of one layover. Flying directly from
    DTW into SNA. Been through LAX back in the middle 80's,
    don't want to experience that again. Marriott reserved, CVII
    confirmation ticket and flight were biggies! Now I can start
    saving for Disneyland Park Hopper.

jedinightwing likes this.
  5. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I paid $465 with the 2% Delta code IND-LAX Direct Flight.
    I am going to use the "Super Shuttle" to get to the Hotel witch is $17 OW but I also seen that they offer discounts on their facebook page so I am keeping an eye out for that.

6. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    FYI guys, The TSA implemented a new security tax today. I checked Delta where I booked my tickets and they are now $10 higher ,ya its only $10 but u know that old saying? $10 is $10

7. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009
  8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The Anaheim Hilton and Marriott are VERY nice places to stay and I have been to both. My personal preference is for the Hilton for sentimental reasons.

The staff at the Hilton went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of after a booking mishap about 10 years ago. In short: their booking server had crashed, I was given a room which had already been booked so I was upgraded to a King bed suite only to find out after I came back from a long, LONG afternoon at Disneyland that my card key didn't work. I stood around, blisters on my feet while the security guy tried his master key which also didn't work. I was hot, sweaty, and just wanted to lay down but couldn't and this guy saw it. The security guy then called the top guy who deals with locks who got me into my room with his key. I crashed and the security guy told me to wait in my room and that he'd be back with a good key. He arrives back 10 minutes later with two working keys and three bottles of ice water, for me. on the house. It wasn't much, but it showed me that they cared about my wellbeing and that hotel has my business whenever I am out there.

9. Zzzman74

Zzzman74 Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2014
    It's so great that it's right next to Disney. We will do Disney AND CVII !!!

10. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
  11. Jlowe235

Jlowe235 Jedi Padawan

Jun 11, 2013
    Looks like the Disney info has been removed.

12. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Remember there is always fireworks every night in Disney. Lol

ffluff73 likes this.
  13. Linny

Linny Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2015
    Also, the Long Beach airport is nice and small and never crowded. But like Joyn Wayne does not have as many flights so it may be more expensive. Also, if the freeways drive you nuts surface streets are pretty good--not always quicker but sometimes they are, and sometimes they are the same but at least you move! As a local (I live 10 mins from Disneyland) I have taken surface streets up to Redondo Beach and down to Dana Point. Just plan the drive time, whether freeway or surface streets, and enjoy! Also, I also got a hotel room because as someone who has witnessed the traffic around Dland and the convention center when other cons have happened, it is crazy!! I don't want to deal with it each day so I just got a room. Expect to wait a while if you are taking a shuttle because not just the shuttle line but the shuttle will get stuck in traffic just on the streets around the convention center.

14. EnviousSerious-Rue

May 4, 2009

No matter where I go for any convention, I allow for travel time from
    the airport to the hotel. It's just one of those things.

15. navarr

navarr Jedi Master

Jun 3, 2011
    Great thread, thanks!

I am coming in on Sunday and plan to hit LA for a studio tour on Monday and Tuesday go to the Battleship Iowa at San Pedro. I will probably rent a car from the Hilton where I am staying. Enterprise has a desk in the hotel.

Question is how long should I plan for the drive from the Hilton to the LA studio tour which starts at 10:15 am?

How long will it take me to get to San Pedro?

thanks
    NICK

16. Linny

Linny Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2015
    No matter where I go for any convention, I allow for travel time from
    the airport to the hotel. It's just one of those things.[/quote]

I was referring to taking a shuttle from the hotel to the convention center because depending on where you stay some of the hotels are a mile or more away. Some people just choose to walk. But I totally agree with allowing for travel time no matter what. Give yourself time and just enjoy! It's lots of fun seeing everyone out in costume (or not) and having a good time (as I'm sure you know!) I always like to go to WonderCon there too.

17. Linny

Linny Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2015

For the studio tour if you are planning to take the 405N to the 101E then give yourself a few hours on a Monday morning. I sometimes drive to Santa Monica from Anaheim around 10am and it takes me an hour and 45 mins to two hours. Burbank is farther north and east of Santa Monica (which you will pass if you take the 405N).

San Pedro isn't as far. The 405N to the 710S ( and head towards CA47/ Vincent Thomas Bridge once you get on the 710-- be careful though turning on the 405N to 710S is tricky because you have very little road to switch over--it's hard to explain but you'll see if you go that route) takes about 30 mins from Anaheim with no traffic. However, I have friends in San Pedro and I take the surface streets sometimes. To do that turn left on Katella--drive down that a while it turns into a Willow St. Then turn left on Studebaker, right on Atherton, left on Ximeno, right on Livingston which just leads you into Ocean which just leads into CA47/Vincent Thomas bridge. I exit Gaffey to visit my friends but for the USS Iowa I believe it's Front or Harbor. Anyway, that's just my tips but there's other ways to these places too, which ever way works best.

18. navarr

navarr Jedi Master

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for the hints!

Exactly what I was looking for. I will budget about 3 hours prior get to the studio tour on time in case anything unexpected comes up with traffic.

19. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    How walkable is the area? I'll be staying the The Alamo, and I'd rather not drive around too much.

20. Linny

Linny Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2015
    The area is walkable, you'll see many people walking around especially on Harbor by Disneyland and on Katella by the Garden Walk. Although when cons are happening there are usually lots of people walking all around there. There are sidewalks so it's safe. You can go down West St to get to a Downtown Disney too, hitch doesn't cost anything to get in if you walk. There's some shops and restaurants there, also from there you can go to the Disneyland Hotel pool area which has a fun Tiki bar called Trader Sam's--it's like the Enchanted Tiki Room in Dland in that things move and the pictures of the volcanoes explode and a ship behind the bar sinks when you order certain drinks there. You don't have to be a hotel guest to go there, it's fun and my friends and I go there now and then. Just wear comfortable shoes because these places are walkable but not like a city block--it's spread out a little more so like anywhere from a 10 min to 20 min walks to places around there. But if you're used to walking it will be a piece of cake!

Antlers likes this.
  21. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Thank you! I have never been to Downtown Disney or the hotels, but I'm looking forward to it! :D

22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    terrific info Miana. Unfortunately, hotel, airfare and con tix are priced out of my league.

Ah well, I hope everyone has a fantastic time. :)

23. LadyJediscientist

LadyJediscientist Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2007
    What are the cabs fares typically like?

24. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Where are you going? From LAX to Anaheim will probably cost well over $100. Getting around Anaheim will likely cost you $15-$30 a trip.

25. LadyJediscientist

LadyJediscientist Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2007
    From the John Wayne airport to Best Western plus Meridian Inn. I had thought about taking cabs between the hotel and convention center, but Best Western is on the Anaheim Resort Transit system, which has more reasonable rates.