main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Announced as title of first standalone Star Wars film...

All the details directly from SW.com...

This morning at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, across the street from Lucasfilm, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger hosted a shareholder meeting where he announced news regarding the first Star Wars stand-alone movie as well as Star Wars: Episode VIII.
    Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.
    In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Finally a Title, Johnson confirmed, SW back to summer and we wait only half a year between this movie and Episode VIII.[face_dancing][face_party]

TX-20, Seeher, Redimet and 12 others like this.
  3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    So, this is the rumored X-Wing film? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I hope so.

Sarge, Redimet, Jedi Daniel and 9 others like this.
  4. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Wooooo, unexpected but very welcome!

5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    So it's gonna be about Rogue Squadron then? :)

Sarge and dekaneas like this.
  6. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I have to wonder... is Felicity Jones playing Evaan, the female rebel pilot seen in the Princess Leia comics?

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Wow, I'd better read the X-Wing novels now!

Ryus, Fruit Pastilles and TheBBP like this.
  8. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Upon first hearing the spin-off's title it sounds like a Rogue Squadron movie to me. Glad to something else official on the movie besides the writer and director.

Sarge likes this.
  9. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Really pleased about this. A year and five months between Star Wars episodes is good news to me!

This is a really minor thing, but I hope the spin-off is called simply "Rogue One" rather than "Star Wars: Rogue One". The Star Wars title should be saved for the main saga.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting title.

I can certainly see this title working a couple ways - it could be referring to the X-Wing film or it could fit bounty hunters/the underworld as well.

11. JoeBiWanKenobi

JoeBiWanKenobi Jedi Master

Apr 25, 2008
    I doubt they'll lose the "Star Wars", purely for marketing and name recognition.

Dak Oolron and Jedi Daniel like this.
  12. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, canon or not, they are great fun and will be fun just to get into the spirit of it all.

13. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Anyone notice a certain writer's name missing from the press release?

my kind of scum and Bennihana like this.
  14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I wonder between what periods this movie is set?[face_thinking]

15. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Just had the same thought. Either that or could quite easily be someone introduced in Rebels.

16. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
  17. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014
    Who would have thought that a simple title would throw me back into such a rush of nostalgia - dogfighting in X-Wing v. Tie, reading about Corran, Wedge, and the gang do battle with Isard, and of course, blasting away more Tie's on the Gamecube...

If the movie can capture the same magic that all those Legends stories did, I say we have a real winner here.

18. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Felicity as Evaan?
    They do have a similar facial structure, though the hair color will need a change, obviously.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tagged as Official, and thread title updated. [face_dancing]

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Rogue Squadron movie?

[​IMG]

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    ROGUE SQUADRON MOVIE YES

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Honestly I hope it's set between the OT and the ST, so that we can explore a new era unfamiliar on screen.:)

24. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    About time. Would love to see the concept art.

25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

jmo Rogue "One" doesn't sound like bounty hunters, rather a call sign like Red Five, et cetera.