main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodic endings in a 9 part saga

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StoneRiver, Aug 21, 2013.

?

The mood of the ending of EPVII will be.....

1. Happy

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
  2. Sad

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Foreboding

49 vote(s)
    50.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I have to pay attention to what tab I'm in when I want to check something out on Wookiepedia.

Anyhow, I think in Episode VII we're going to see a happy ending with a bit of foreboding. With the exception of TESB going into ROTJ, at least two years have transpired in the timeline between any two films. That being said, I think the heroes will be happy at having dealt with whatever problem they have to face in Episode VII but will have the knowledge to realize that there's probably another, even bigger shoe left to drop.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That would pretty much be my guess as well.

Darth Raiden and plaidphoenix like this.
  3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    It's been a year since the last post in this thread, and as of a year ago the poll above was pretty even... but I notice many new names/faces around here and wondered if they would like to partake in this thread. If anyone does, please read the opening post as it explains the meat of what this thread is about. [face_peace]

My opinion hasn't changed, and it is exactly at plaidphoenix says above. Our heroes will have dealt with the immediate threat, but will have suffered loss and will be aware of a larger threat looming (foreboding)*, setting it up for the larger threat to be the game leader by the end of EPVIII (sad), only for our heroes to emerge victorious in EPIX (happy).
    *bucking the trend of having a happy ending to the first film of each trilogy
    Any new takes?

4. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I would've voted for both happy and foreboding, if allowed. I also wish I would've engaged my brain and looked at the roman numeral... for some reason I thought we were voting on the mood at the end of episode 9 based on the title, lol

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I refused to vote because "So wizard" is not an option.

7. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I vote "Happy" but with a sense of foreboding that leaves us wanting more. Maybe a new last minute villain will be revealed or the current one is fully transformed, with a twist! I can see it being sad if a main character dies, but I still think the overall tone for the first film will be hopeful and uplifting.

Disney would be crazy to have their very first film be a bummer. Save that for VIII and possibly IX. This one needs to be a fun, memorable and heartfelt film that sets everything up and at least generally ends on a high note. This will further encourage people to see it repeatedly in theaters.

8. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I vote Happy. Imagine Reys ship landing and Rey running up a huge flight of stairs. Luke meets her at the top and they smile at each other. She hands him his lightsaber. The force theme starts to play and they turn and look at the sun over the water. Force theme goes full blast. Roll credits Loud applause!

9. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    I would like a dark tone, but I'm almost certain Disney won't even or HAVE even considered anything but a (atleast partly) sunny ending...

10. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I think it will be a downer ending with a tinge of hopefulness (so positive foreboding).

11. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    I'd go for sad. Would be great to experience a mixture of emotions throughout the journey of TFA. I'll save the happy* ending for episode IX.

*ewoks not included. Maybe baby ones

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    disney has nothing to do with it. why don't people understand this?

13. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    I know they don't control it, but the automatic association makes me feel that way. Just my opinion this is...

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Long-running internet tropes have done their work, sadly...

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. hartman89

Dec 29, 2014
    Man, I don't know if it is the medication, my vision, or just my poor education, but I wish I could understand your post. At the very least to know if I should be offended and/or shamed...lol

16. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I dislike modern Disney for what they have done, with some exceptions, to fairy stories and mythology (and the perception of those stories). I hope the Star Wars Universe will lead Disney to explore less sanitized versions of those stories. Still fun, and with happy endings, but not afraid to plunge the depths of human experience.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    does disney control marvel studios? no.

18. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm aware of that arrangement. That's why I'm excited about Star Wars. It will likely explore mythological themes in a way that Disney, by itself, won't really touch. So I see potential for the resurrection of the full-bodied myth. One that hasn't been airbrushed.

19. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I didn't vote because "I feel happy, I feel happy, *thump*" wasn't an option.

20. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Foreboding.

21. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I think there will be a foreboding ending first, showing the bad guys doing their thing after the third act, then it will go into a celebration, much like the Throne Room scene in Episode IV, with Leia giving awards to Poe Dameron, Rey and Finn.

Han, Chewie, and the droids will all be there too, however, I don't think Luke will be there.

Episodes 1, 4 and now 7 will have celebrations.
    Episodes 8 and 9 will be dark with a final happy ending at the end of 9.

What do you think?

22. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I think the ending to Episode VII will be happy, but with a looming sense of doom hanging over it, as the bigger battles are still to come. Episode VIII will be dark, and I have the feeling we're going to get a gutpunch ending. IX will end happily, much like VI, but with the galaxy throwing an even bigger party. One thing that was genius about Episode I was the celebration music being Palpatine's theme, it really shows that the good guys have just written their own epitaph. Things are going to get worse from here on out. Episode VII won't be that extreme, but we'll be shown that a shadow is slowly moving over our heroes' heads.

23. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    VII- Foreboding (Some good stuff happens, Gleeson dies, Snoke revealed, allusions to greater threat ahead)
    VIII- Bad (Luke dies I bet, 1st Order has successive victories, Leia captured)
    IX- Happy (Kylo Ren turns good, 1st Order crushed, One of the newbies takes on the task of rebuilding the Jedi order)

24. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Happy ending. This one needs to be a crowd pleaser.

Of course there's a heavy cost, but even Episode IV had Alderaan destroyed and Obi-Wan dying.

25. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think a foreboding ending can be a crowd pleaser. Like we saw with AOTC, it had a "good" ending (Heroes survive, droid army defeated, etc) but it also set us up for a bad ending in ROTS.

I think ANH would have had a more foreboding ending had Lucas already been signed on to do 3 movies.

Also audiences these days do not even prefer the totally happy ending. I think the Avengers did this perfectly. They save the world, none of the heroes die, but the end of the movie shows a very foreboding shot into space with an even greater threat declaring his intentions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.