main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Discussion of the Han Solo Trilogy, by A.C Crispin.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dylan24601, Mar 23, 2015.

1. dylan24601

dylan24601 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2004
    I am determined to have as expansive a 'head canon' as possible. I've loped off everything post ROTJ, but am hoping everything else can fit, at least in the 'foggy lens' way. I'm also trying to complete my collection of said material, in hardback whenever possible. So... I'm looking at a $70 purchase of the Solo Trilogy HC omnibus. But I wanted the board's advice. Is there ANY WAY that this is going to end up as a feasible entry into a combined EU/NU continuity, with the prospect of a Han origin film? Daley's trilogy is surely salvageable, but Crispin's seems on the line. Should I pull the trigger?

Joanne2108 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Zero chance Crispin's trilogy will be folded into the new canon. It's a cornucopia of twenty years' worth of EU references to Han's past, full of existing EU characters, locations, and events. It features the founding of the Rebellion and the capture of the Death Star plans, two events that will definitely be rewritten in the new canon.

As to whether or not you should still read it, I can't say. Never read the trilogy myself. Heard it's good.

3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I quite liked the trilogy, and I think it's well worth the read. But if "canon" is what you care about, move along, move along.

4. dylan24601

Nov 3, 2004
    Not 'canon,' but having most elements survive as plausible. What 'B' canon used to be.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I love this trilogy but no way that they leave Han's backstory alone.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The only way I can see some of this surviving is as an actual in-universe series of legends told about his past. Like Han saying, "This reminds me of the time I saved this one girl from a group of spice-making missionaries..." or "Hey Lando, remember that time you shot Fett with his own mind-control toxin?"

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This. It can be an enjoyable read but there's zero chance of it actually being restored to continuity. Head canon? Might be possible, if requiring significant mental gymnastics with possible spinoffs . Actual canon? No way.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I agree with the consensus opinion. The AC Crispin novels aren't novels that easily stand by themselves. They're good books, and I don't want to steer you away from reading them for your own enjoyment, but they're quite heavy with ties and references to the EU that will likely be increasingly difficult to reconcile with the canon timeline as time goes on and things like the history of the Alliance are re-established.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also as a heads-up: that hardcover of the HST, if it is the sci-fi book club version, is missing the epilogue to Hutt Gambit.

10. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    IMHO it was one of the Bantam era books (trilogys) which captured the Star Wars feel best. loved it, but, yep, zero chance it'll stay

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. YoungBossk

YoungBossk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2014

I'd love it if they did this!

12. dylan24601

Nov 3, 2004
    I really, really appreciate the input... Especially the heads up about the missing epilogue in the HC. Everybody has a line of how far a particular work can "bend" to fit their head-canon before it "breaks." For me, the original Marvel run, Star Wood, and new Marvel sit side by side on the shelf. Clone Wars TV and multimedia project? Works great by my standards. I can't Imagine Cloak of Deception, Kenobi, or any number of pre-ROTJ novels being so directly contradicted that we can't glue it all back together. I think Tim Zahn made a statement to this effect after D Day.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's completely awesome and worth the read. But it's totally going to get horribly overwritten. Depending on how flexible you are, you could probably salvage most of the events as happening in some way, but not the story as a whole.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Both by the biggest Mary Sue ever.

15. dylan24601

Nov 3, 2004
    It occurs to me that, if this trilogy is chock full of references to Post ROTJ EU, that should not effect its plausibility as head canon. If Thracken Sal-Solo shows up, so be it. There is no "pay off" later on, but he can exist as a character in that work alone. This principle will be important to those of us interested in reconciling as much as possible in the future.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Anyone who uses the term "Mary Sue" from here on out needs to be sent to work in the spice mines.

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Kyle Katarn is more of Mary Sue than Ahsoka and Bria combined.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Welcome to the spice mines. :D

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have heard those books referred to as the "[I Wanna ****] Han Solo" Trilogy. maychild , was that you? LOL.

I do have an issue with Bria being Han's first true love and a co-founder of the Rebellion but never mentioned in the OT. And that's just what I picked up on from the mentions in Tatooine Ghost.

I'd like to see Lando shooting Boba Fett with mind-control toxin though.

Can Disney/LFL do what they're doing with other Legends material and incorporate the good while leaving out the pet characters?

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Thankfully people weren't telling Crispin that on these boards when she was still alive, as far as I know.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with that, and as I said, I'm only going by the Bria discussion in Tatooine Ghost, I'm not in a position to judge the books on their own merits.

Bria being Han's "first love" AND a Rebellion co-founder AND dying tragically was a turnoff, and that is without her helping to steal the Death Star plans (I didn't know about that).

maychild likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Her role in the Rebellion was pretty minor - she was an underling of Bel Iblis's - albeit a fairly charismatic one.

Regarding the plans theft - while someone else extracted the plans from an Imperial outpost - she was the one leading the force protecting the transmission equipment that sent the plans to Leia's ship.

23. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    It certainly was. O:)

She also steals the Death Star plans and transmits them to the ship of that...woman, the totally insignificant brunette who Han kinda likes because she's devoted to the cause Bria founded...what's her name...oh yeah, Princess Leia.

And Han names his pre-Millennium Falcon ship after Bria. And he pines for her for ten years. And she HAD to die (as a martyr, of course) so he could be "left free" to get together with Leia. And Han chases after the Storm Troopers in ANH because he "wants revenge" for his true first love Bria's death. And Han was "obviously" suffering from a badly broken heart in ANH, according to Crispin. Yeah, he shows how heartbroken he is by smiling easily, laughing, and winking at Leia during the medal ceremony.

Not a bad idea. Even I like some of the EU stuff.

But the pet characters...ugh, isn't there some kind of Mary Sue Repellent Spray? Even Mara isn't (quite) as Mary Sue-ish as Bria, although they have the same hyphenated (red-gold) hair.

Yanksfan, Sarge, Riv_Shiel and 2 others like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been having a reread of Crispin's posts on the forum - and one thing that stands out is just how polite and informative she was, how meanspirited a lot of the criticisms were (as well as lots of examples of attempts to bully her off the forums) - and how unattached to Bria she comes across as.

Regarding the Solo trilogy - some of those posts might be worth looking at when it comes to answering questions about how they were written - and what the intent behind various ideas was.

25. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Man, that's really too bad about her reception on the forums. Do people go in reading a book with their "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" radar on full blast, especially media tie-in books? I see endless complaints about the phenomenon, and the only time I ever dusted that radar off and switched on was when I was reading the first four Stackpole books, since Corran Horn so often is criticized of being that. Otherwise, I never go into these books deliberately look for MS/GS characters, and so I tend not to get distracted with worry about it. Thinking about it, if your going in specifically looking for it, then you're probably going to find it, even if it isn't really there. That doesn't sound like fun, why would people go into something that is supposed to be fun deliberately looking for ways to sabotage themselves...?

Also, I kind approach Crispin's trilogy as their own story, and wasn't obsessed with the detail she put into it to give it connectivity with other SW stories; but I got a general impression of an exhaustive effort to be inclusive, even when I wasn't familiar with half or more of her references. I made a mental note to keep an eye out for certain characters and situations. Generally, though, I enjoyed her prose, the books had action and adventure. There were some surprises that I didn't expect, and was accepting of because I felt it was nice to be surprised.

Hmmm, so I've seen authors well treated and badly treated on the Doctor Who forums, and I've seen authors more consistently (to my eyes) treated well on the Star Trek forums. I've hardly seen SW authors on here, except maybe John Jackson Miller. I can see it happening from how my own mind has reacted to SW over the course of my lifetime, it's cultural and spiritual aspect make it practically our own modern mythological cycle, up there alongside the Greek pantheon or King Arthur's Camelot. Canonicity with SW comes closer to it's original Biblical connotation than it would with other franchises, I imagine, if I wasn't keeping my initial thought-impulses in check.

Iron Lord: So, if I used the search engine, what keyword should I use to chase down those behind-the-scenes comments that Crispin provided? Because I really like the series, and am interested in how she developed her ideas and why she structured the books in certain ways

Charlemagne19, Kylun and Iron_lord like this.