main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Latino review: JJ Abrams is frontrunner to direct IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Marvel have announced that the Russo Brothers are writing and directing the next Avengers movie.

Joss Whedon might now be a possibility for Episode IX. :)

Abadacus and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  2. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    My recurring nightmare.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Dude have you seen the TV spots for Avengers: Age of Ultron? Looks like a sequel to Transformers 4. Pass.

Jcuk and DarthLightlyBruise like this.
  4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I´m not sure. He will be fundamental for its story, but the schedule makes things more complicate. If there was more time, I bet Johnson would both write and direct IX as well.

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I have my doubts about that but so what if it does - I liked Transformers 4. It had big shiny robots fighting each other. And Stanley Tucci.

No, I haven't seen any footage and don't judge a movie by clips, a book by its cover or a person by what they look like.

6. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Star Wars' standards should be much higher than movies about big giant robots smashing each other amongst the skyscrapers of New York City.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I don't believe New York was featured in Transformers 4.

And big shiny robots smashing each other is fun. I don't see the need to compare and contrast two franchises than are unrelated.

8. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Get off your high horse. The Avengers was more entertaining than the prequels and my opinion of them is more favourable than most.

jedilips and Heero_Yuy like this.
  9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

You're talking to the other guy, right? [face_worried]

10. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Yeah, quote's not working for me for some reason. :p

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    That's cool - I see we both posted at the same time. ;)

Also, if Whedon does get involved, brace yourselves - because he has a habit of killing characters of quite unexpectedly. :_|

12. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    The fact that the general public at large liked The Avengers more than the prequels only further proved to me everything I need to know.

The public also likes Katie Perry.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
  14. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Indeed. I always scoff at the attitude that Star Wars needs to be held to a "higher standard." Hello?! The Holiday Special exists. It hasn't been an inherently super special franchise since 1978!

WadiumArcadium likes this.
  15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I like Whedon as a writer. As a director he's nothing special.

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I like that Whedon is an unabashed fanboy of all that is in the Geekdom.

17. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    In my opinion, the Avengers is basically what the horrible Transformers series is. There is no depth or deeper layer of meaning, the story wasn't good, and had action sequences of more or less big shiney robots smashing each other amongst skyscrapers. The only difference was that Avengers featured 5 or 6 superheroes all together on screen at once fighting together. To me, that is a very superficial reason for thinking a movie is awesome or entertaining.

The prequels on the other hand have been criticized for all sorts of things and seem to take more flak than you could shake a stick at. But the prequels certainly have entertainment value unto themselves. But they also tell a good story, have mythological motifs, have historical parallels, and have a true artistic vision that was behind them in George Lucas.

The prequels are criminally underrated while The Avengers is criminally overrated.

EHT likes this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Well, it is special to me, but I don't what this "higher standard" is. To me, the fact that Star Wars is my favourite doesn't affect how I like anything else. I don't view other blockbuster franchises as either a threat too Star Wars or somehow beneath it.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes please.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I've never seen the Avengers, but based on Serenity I wouldn't mind Whedon doing Star Wars. While I'm not the biggest fan of some of Whedon's more jokey dialogue, Serenity still had some nice character moments without dipping into anything overly sentimental. And perhaps more importantly for this genre, the action set pieces in Serenity had me a lot more hooked than what Abrams managed with Star Trek.

Abadacus likes this.
  21. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I hope it's not Joss Whedon..... Just another Michael Bay sorta director...bleh.

People talk about Abrams like he's just about the action, well Whedon is even more of that. Abrams has great balance all around. Whedon would be a boring choice.

EHT and Luukeskywalker like this.
  22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I disagree with the second part but I respect your right to hold that opinion.

[​IMG]

It seems to that you are committing the very "crime" you claim has been done to the Prequels.

And the above is a very superficially criticism. Why do you assume "5 or 6 superheroes all together on screen at once fighting together" is the only reason people think that it is awesome?

And who is underrating the Prequels? A couple of guys on the internet? Big hairy deal. It has clearly not affected the franchise which was mote successful and popular during the Prequel era than it had ever been before - hence why Disney shelled out $4 billion. That wasn't loose change to them.

23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    double post

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    [face_shame_on_you]

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Do you just mean Serenity or Firefly too?

I get confused myself and often switch the names around :p

[​IMG]

Krueger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.