main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Discussion of the Han Solo Trilogy, by A.C Crispin.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dylan24601, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I actually don't think the general idea of Han growing up as an urchin on Kashyyyk is incompatible with the commonly accepted backstory of how he met Chewie. In fact, being previously acquainted with Wookiees as a species could provide a further reason why Imperial Officer Solo would put his career on the line for a Wookiee slave.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    But it's crap.

3. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    It isn't incompatible at all. One of the character sketches for Han thought up by Lucas went something like: "Abandoned by space gypsies, raised by Wookiees, got admitted to the Imperial Academy but expelled for rescuing an enslaved Chewbacca."

No, Han pining over some girl for ten years and naming his ship after her and her dumping him being the reason why he's hardened and cynical (as well as everything else he does/says) in the OT is crap.

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

I keep checking to confirm I'm on Page 4 of 4.

5. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    ?????

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Shrike gang could be called "space gypsies".

With Dewlanna being the Wookiee, singular, that raised Han (while he was with them).

7. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    I like how you bend the SW story to make the EU "fit perfectly."

Crispin's books were written after (WAY after) the events of the OT, yet we're supposed to accept everything she says as an "explanation" for events that, technically, occurred long before she wrote her Mary Sue fantasies.

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

...so you're saying you don't like Crispin's Han Solo books?

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    How?

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

As conceived, with him popping up in ROTS? It's a(nother) bridge too far in terms of "everything is connected".

Personally I think it comes back to the problem with the Joker killing the Waynes - it has a negative effect of making things personal when they shouldn't be. I think the idea of Han rescuing Chewie out of nothing but point-blank compassion rather than there being a broader reason or a more deeply entrenched cultural thing for him.

Besides, it would be really odd for him to sign up for Imperial service if he's on one the planets that experienced the transition to the New Order as it happened.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I want Han rescuing Chewie out of compassion/a sense of moral outrage against Wookiee enslavement. Or a newly-found friendship with Chewie. But not a history with the Wookiees.

Riv_Shiel, Abadacus and Iron_lord like this.
  12. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    I don't mind a history with the Wookiees.

I can see Han and Chewie's relationship being very prickly to start with. That is, Han rescues Chewie, and then Chewie swears allegiance to Han for the rest of his life. Han's less enthusiastic about this; he saved Chewie from the slavers but he doesn't necessarily want him as a partner because he's a loner. (His name isn't Solo for nothing. That's another reason why Crispin's Mary Sue fantasies screw with Han's character.) But Chewie is persistent and Han starts to see the value in having a Wookiee around; then it develops into a friendship as well as a partnership.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't that exactly what happened in The Hutt Gambit? Or am I missing something?

14. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Along with the revolting Mary Sue fantasies of Han being a treacle-mouthed sap who's obsessed with some boring girl, which screws with the idea of Han being SOLO.

Oh wait, sorry, I forgot. That's in the first book in the Mary Sue romance novel trilogy. The fact that the Mary Sue dumped Han is supposed to "explain" why he becomes hardened and cynical. Until he reunites with her, and he becomes a treacle-mouthed sap once more. Then she dumps him again and he becomes hardened and cynical again. Funny how Han having a history with the Wookiees is so objectionable, but not this dumb girl being the "reason" behind everything he does/says in the OT.

Bria is supposed to be so incredibly beautiful that every male turns to jelly at the sight of her. Interestingly, the pic of her on the cover of the first book in the Bria Tharen Trilogy shows her to be average-looking at most.

I've seen people say she's not a Mary Sue because she suffers: she bawls her eyes out over hurting Han. That's what's known as "tedious martyrdom," and is simply more Mary Sue-ism in disguise. Of course, the whole thing comes full-circle when Bria actually dies a martyr.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Han and Chewie stuff you described. That was how it happened unless I majorly missed something. Coincidentally how long ago did you read this trilogy?

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    What about it?

In any case, I suppose this is all moot, since the EU with all its Sues has been ejected from the continuity. Although I am sure that, whatever backstory the nEU comes up with for Han, the present EU fans will dutifully apply continuity spackle so that it "fits perfectly" with Crispin's Mary Sue trilogy.

Bottom line: I am a bigtime Han/Leia fan, as you might have deduced from my icon. I don't like seeing their romance messed with. And just so we're clear, I will repeat what I've said (twice) already: while I have no problem with Han having girlfriends before Leia -- I would think it strange if he didn't; I have seen the guy, after all -- I do not think he was ever in love before he met Leia.

17. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Can't see this being entered into the new canon. It's worth the purchase however, simply for begina good set of books that introduce a plethora of new and interesting characters, dropping hints to the events of the OT here and there, and most importantly getting the character of Han Solo completely right. If there was anything that convinced me that I didn't need magical powers and lightsabers to enjoy Star Wars it was these three novels.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed DarthJenari. These novels just work.

maychild from YOUR post 87
    I don't mind a history with the Wookiees.

I can see Han and Chewie's relationship being very prickly to start with. That is, Han rescues Chewie, and then Chewie swears allegiance to Han for the rest of his life. Han's less enthusiastic about this; he saved Chewie from the slavers but he doesn't necessarily want him as a partner because he's a loner. (His name isn't Solo for nothing. That's another reason why Crispin's Mary Sue fantasies screw with Han's character.) But Chewie is persistent and Han starts to see the value in having a Wookiee around; then it develops into a friendship as well as a partnership.

The meeting of Han and Chewie. The way you worded your earlier post was how it happened in the trilogy unless I completely misunderstood it. Then you go off on a Bria tangent. Who works better with Han in a relationship was not my point discussion. I'm over here and you were 10's of thousands of miles away. Completely different focus.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    I don't agree. I also don't agree that they got Han Solo right, or that the OCs were interesting. I hope these three mediocre novels stay on the "never happened" junkpile where they belong, particularly Bria Tharen, the biggest Mary Sue of all time.

The Han Solo Adventures work a lot better.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    IIRC, way back in the early 200X's, I myself started a thread on this board comparing the superb Brian Daley HS trilogy to the much later, more EU-sanctioned & IMHO far inferior Crispin HS trilogy.

All due respect to the late Ms. Crispin, IMHO her trilogy tried too hard to fit in to the EU, and as a result was somewhat uninspired. It was definitely a "by the numbers" history of Han Solo, and IMHO was just OK. I liked it at the time, but in thinking back I'm not hugely impressed by these books. In defense of her, however, she was probably working within the constraints that Lflm. imposed on her - since, in the '90's, Lflm. took much greater pains to make the new novels/comics "fit" into the established continuity - much more than they had in the much looser late '70's/80's EU (SOTME, BD HS trilogy, L. Neil Smith LC trilogy, Marvel comic series, etc.)

Conversely, the Daley early '80's HS trilogy was superb, and IMHO was one of the best series of EU novels out there. Among other things, I liked the new creations like Gallandro, the corrupt & evil Corporate Sector Authority (that IMHO gave the Empire a run for their money), etc. The writing also seemed fast & loose, much more than the Crispin books.

For what it's worth, I've re-read the BD Han Solo trilogy at least 3-4 times over the years. Conversely, I read the Crispin Han Solo trilogy only once - when the books came out - and unloaded them in the early 200X's since I had no intention of ever reading them again.

Sarge and maychild like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've reread both trilogies numerous times - I thought they complemented each other quite well, with the "intermission" moments in The Hutt Gambit each picking up just after one of the Daley books.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Rebel Dawn, not The Hutt Gambit.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Whoops - was reading about it and it was at the top of my mind when I was thinking about Crispin books.

The Hutt Gambit has some nice nods to the Lando Calrissian series though - the events of those books take place "offscreen" in this one (Lando goes off in the Falcon, and when Han meets him again he's accompanied by Vuffi Ra.)

Rebel Dawn begins with Lando giving Han an overview of what happened in the last book - before the sabacc tournament begins.

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually initially thought it might have been The Hutt Gambit too.

I wouldn't have known that when I read the HST all of those years ago, but it doesn't really surprise me considering the trilogy makes plenty of other references I am aware of.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. We get to see how Vigo Durga of Black Sun, first started associating with them - we get Salla Zend of Dark Empire, Xaverri of The Crystal Star - even Marvel SW characters like Katya M'buele and Rik Duel are mentioned.