main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should there be nebulas, black holes, planets with different gravity/atmospheres, etc.?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i also want to see nar shaddaa.

Rabs and Iron_lord like this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would be okay if there were a couple nebulas or whatever here and there throughout the ST, but to be honest I would prefer that we don't spend the entire Star Wars saga to date with only a Starfield, and then all of a sudden in the ST the space field is simply riddled with them… That would look very inconsistent, IMO.

Boring or not, something has to be said for continuity…

Immortiss, Sarge and Mystery Roach like this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Agreed. The only way that would work is if there's a major new planet that's in the midst of or very near one, and it becomes an identifying factor.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  4. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    What about the quasar or galaxy at the end of ESB?? Isn't that a little too Trekkish, too? And isn't ANH guilty of Trekky jargon, what with the talk of parsecs and super novas?? Even midichlorians (or what ever they are called) seem too much like something out of Star Trek.

Visuals always played an important part in the SW universe. Refusing to add nebulae to future films for consistency's 'sake' is silly. How small is the SW galaxy that it doesn't have nebulae?? I can't imagine ANYONE walking out of Episode 7 upset over too many nebulae in the movie.

In an article Ebert wrote not long after seeing a screening of the Phantom Menace, he pointed out how flat the outer space scenes were since they lacked nebulae. He also pointed out how the planets were too earthly. I agree. The battle of Naboo looked like it happened at a country club, or golf course, with the neatly mowed grass.

John Knoll was primarily responsible (or to blame) for the lack of nebulae in the PT. Because I saw one of the ROTS 'making of' videos back before the release of the film where Lucas and Knoll were watching one of the earlier work prints and there was a scene when OB1 was leaving one of the planets and Knoll says- 'That looks too much like Star Trek. We need to scale that back'. I had also saw a brief, cut scene, only few seconds long of one of the Trade Federation ships leaving Geonosis after the battle in AOTC where there was a nebula in the background. And in one of the earliest prints of the 1997 rerelease/special edition, allegedly there was a blue/purple nebula near Tatooine. Originally at the end of ESB, she Luke and Leia look out of the frigate as the Falcon departs, there was to be a nebula instead of the galaxy.

Nobody complains about the Falcon making the 'jump' into hyperspace being too much like Trek when the Enterprise goes into light speed.

However, SW has never had anyone 'beamed' to other planets..

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    That's because the Falcon jumping to hyperspace was created before Star Trek doing anything even remotely similar. When Star Wars came out, all Star Trek had was the original series (plus a cartoon) and there was certainly nothing even remotely like that hyperspace jump in the original version of the original series.

So with regards to hyperspatial jumps, if anyone stole from anyone else, it was Star Trek stealing from Star Wars. However, since many of the FX were done by the same company, ILM, I guess that's forgivable.

6. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Only if it's plausible and fits with the story, we don't need the run of the mill sci-fi mumbo jumbo in our space opera, unless it helps to tell the story

Sarge likes this.
  7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I don't see any problem with introducing nebulae and other stellar phenomena to the universe; we've already seen this in TCW, most notably in the Yoda arc:

Yoda approaches a brilliant nebula where the Force guides him into the homeworld of the midi-chlorians to rendezvous with the Force Priestesses. His ship's instruments temporarily give out due to the nebula's intense radiation, but the Force guides him to his destination. I could see something similar happening in the ST, with Luke or some other Jedi using the Force to guide them through a hostile interstellar environment.

Sarge and Darth Archimage like this.
  8. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    You're joking, right?

it is the PT the one who really show us amazing stuff

9. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I hope we get some serious eye-candy for the outer space scenes. For the most part, the prvious outer space stuff in the saga has been a little two-dimensional for my likes. It would be cool have a nebula here and there in this movie. Since after all, Star Wars prides itself on visuals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I hope we see hundreds to thousands of galaxies in one shot...like in this Hubble pic.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup:

12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Sadly sighs at the thought of not seeing the blargoblarg nebula... ;)

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  13. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Lets not get too realistic and scientific, OP..

This is Star Wars...where little green men of 800 years old move spaceships by waving their hand...and where old pasty white dudes with red eyes shoot lightning bolts out of the tips of the fingers.

No need for Nebulas and black holes, bro..

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Maybe the technology exists or is Luke a secret ST fan?

Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It crops up in the Ewoks comic King For A Day (used by the invading force) - but virtually nowhere else is it that "Star-Trek-ish" - virtually all other examples are some kind of interplanetary Gate - so Stargate-ish :D

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  17. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    References to nebulas and black holes would be consistent enough with Star Wars canon. I mean:

Han Solo: "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it."

Are nebulas and black holes somehow more realistic and scientific than supernovas? I don't really follow this logic.

Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.