main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucas: Force Awakens not about Skywalker grandchildren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    http://deadline.com/2015/04/george-lucas-star-wars-stephen-colbert-tribeca-film-festival-1201411904/
    "Lucas’ only mention of the upcoming Walt Disney Star Wars films came at the end of the hour talk at the Borough of Manhattan. “I hope it’s successful. The original story was about the father, the children and the grandchildren. They didn’t use my stories and they’ve taken it in a different direction,” said Lucas."

So are Rey or Poe or Kylo or Gleeson Skywalkers? Sounds like not. Not to be a spoil sport but I find this really depressing.

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    How would he know? Just because he doesn't recognize it, doesn't make it not the case. He knows as much as we do now, and is purposely avoiding the film.

Granek, Dak Oolron and thejeditraitor like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the trailer makes it pretty obvious that someone is a descendant.

4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ Not necessarily.

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah and the whole his family is special in the force in the teaser was for no reason whatsoever.o_O

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

This would contradict the lines spoken in the trailer, in which Luke spoke about his family and being strong in the force. At least 1 child seems to be from Leia or Luke. ;)

7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    the trailer makes it pretty obvious that there's a descendant IMO. I mean it doesn't make it for sure but just the heavy emphasis on family made it seem like there probably is. Lucas just means they aren't doing it in the way he would have done it.

8. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't understand why people get depressed or happy over rumors. Rumors are nothing and should invoke, and be met by, only one emotion. Curiosity. Wait and feel your feelings once you have official information.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    The way the narration is used could as easily apply to a non-Skywalker newly awakened Force-sensitive as it could to a Skywaler/Solo who doesn't know about their family's legacy connection to the Force.

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Agree, I think George meant it more that the movie was about the Skywalker clan as a functioning unit (what we saw in the EU). In this they are splintered group and the movie (in terms of a micro story) about how they become a group again.

11. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Early rumors claimed Rey and Kylo Ren are the children of Han and Leia. If this is genuine (big if!) then it seems Abrams/Kasdan took uncle George's outline and switched it from Luke's kids to Han and Leia's kids. It's possible that's the only aspect of GL's outline they used/were inspired by.

The rest: the First Order, Finn - a renegade Stormtrooper, the force awakening (which my gut feeling is some old Sith type villain returning?), BB-8 and all the other stuff we've yet to found out about, are most likely new ideas.

12. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    The fact that he says the original was about the grandchildren and they didn't use it, it leads me to believe it's not about them. It's kind of funny though how many people have been rumored to be Skywalkers, Isaac is Han's son who inherited the Falcon, Rey aka Kira is Han and Leias kid (God knows why she chooses to live as a scavenger when her mom is Queen or whatever), Adam Driver is a sith that is Han and Leias Son. It just seems like the farther we go along the less it seems like nobody is related to the Skywalkers.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and yafka like this.
  13. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    Yeah, but he doesn't say "now you, my niece, are strong in the Force too". He just says that the force is with them, nothing about them being related.

My family has always driven Chevy's, my dad did, I did, my sister did, now you drive a chevy also. Could be talking about another relative, could just be talking to a friend. There were other force users in the GFFA that weren't Skywalkers after all.

KSennia, Dewback, yafka and 3 others like this.
  14. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh, I'm about 99.9% sure at least one of them is.

BigAl6ft6 and Krueger like this.
  15. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Quoth the trailer....

"The force is strong in MY family.......you have that power too."

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    it's to a family member you don't mention your entire family force history if your talking to a complete stranger and the Skywalker line are unlike other they are special in the force which is also another point of the dialogue.:)

17. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

yeah.

but I think George had a very specific vision of how the grandchild's story arc would relate to Anakin's and Luke's and they aren't doing that. that's all I think he really meant since he's said the exact line in different contexts before.

I mean look at the prequels if you want to see what George Lucas means by "about the Skywalkers". that trilogy was all about Anakin and some weird prophecy stuff. in the originals they are a small part of a bigger story. if I had to guess Lucas had a bit of a different take on it all than what we're going to get.

18. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Not really. In the original context, the line "you have that power too" didn't denote Leia's kinship with Luke and his father. "My sister has it" did.

This could be Luke saying, "hey my family is powerful with the force, and you can too."

I don't really believe that, but it is a possible interpretation.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    TooMuchBBQ

You don't use that quote and not be about a particular family. Between the quote and the emphasis of Skywalker "artifacts", it's quite plausible this movie is about someone finding their birth right (Rey). Two things to keep in mind:

1. Lucas said "Grandchildren". There is no grandchildren in this.
    2. (What I been saying for awhile). The filmmakers are expanding the idea of what "a family" is. George had a very traditional lineage set up for the Skywalker clan. I think JJ and the new generation of filmmakers are going to expand what a family means to reflect our society more. Hence why I still put it a 30/1 shot that Finn will somehow be adapted by Luke and becomes Finn Skywalker. The name longer is going to mean just direct relatives. It's almost being part of a clan of the highest honor..one you have to earn.

20. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    He could be talking to Finn, but I doubt it. I think the dialogue is pretty straight forward.

21. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Yeah, this is my take on it as well.

22. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think the sad thing is that this isn't Lucas' vision. I hope they make a Legends book based on Lucas' version of the sequels.

23. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    The My family line could just be because Leia is what leads the heroes to Luke. That lady you met who is my sister has it and so do you. If Rey who seems like the lead is a Skywalker what kind of heroes journey is it for the kid of rich royalty basically a galactic VIP to re-embrace her family after slumming it, seems like JJ is more interested in turning a nobody into a somebody like EP 4. Since they haven't shown Gleeson yet even if he is Luke's kid (which I'm not sure about) he doesn't seem as important as Rey Poe or Finn.

yafka likes this.
  24. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    I doubt Luke has any children in the new trilogy. Luke is probably referring to Rey and/or Finn in the opening of TFA. They have the force and Luke is saying "my family had the force too." He's passing the metaphorical torch on to the next generation of force sensitive users.

it's possible JJ Abrams doesn't want to use GL ideas because he doesn't want to be in his shadow. He wants Ep 7 to be his vision, not Lucas' vision. What I mean is, if GL said "ep 7 should be about Luke's son and his descent to the Dark Side" the natural reaction from JJ Abrams might be "heck, no, I'm doing something else because you're no longer the boss, George!"

See what I mean!

Any idea GL came up with might be dismissed simply because he (Lucas) is no longer in charge. It's been claimed Abrams dislikes the prequels. I've no idea if this is true , but if it is then it's another reason why Abrams would want to dismiss all or most of Lucas' ideas for ep7. Ultimately, film making is a business. It's not about respecting everyone's ideas. No room for sentiment in the movie biz!

Dewback and TooMuchBBQ like this.
  25. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Maybe Luke's talking to R2 and that's why he's patting the little droid's dome.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.