main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's your favorite little moment or detail in CT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    What I enjoy about star wars is all those little things that really add to the star wars myths. There's also those little moments in the films that are small but memorable. One moment I love is in ESB, the Han freezing in carbonite scene. When the carbonation is done and Han is about to be lifted out, we see a cool short close up of Vader.

1:52 is where I'm talking about.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    There are three little details I absolutely adore. I freaking love the gonk droids. I love how they look, how they move, and the "gong" sound they make. I also love how Greedo's alien language sounds. And, I've always liked the way the landspeeder bounces when it moves or someone gets in it.

3. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    My favorite moments involve head shots of Vader. How they captured such strong emotions from an expressionless face, and often without dialogue, is incredible.

4. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    The designs of ships in ESB and ROTJ that were largely forgotten.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The depth of emotion in Sir's washed out eyes. Very poignant.

6. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    ANH - Stormtrooper hitting head, dianoga eye sticking up in the trash compactor, Rebel soldier in the lookout tower on Yavin IV, and pensive Tarkin before the Death Star explodes

TESB - Bossk growling at Piett and the officers, Boba Fett tracking the Falcon, "Nice to see a familiar face" "E chu ta" "How rude", and Vader's cape blowing in the wind during the father reveal

ROTJ - Droid getting ripped apart in Jabba's dungeon, Palpatine's ghoulish cronies, AT-AT walker on Endor, and Vader's silent contemplation after "Then my father is truly dead"

7. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I was reading through Rinzler's "The Making of Star Wars" over the weekend, and read that that he'd bike to his wife's grave every morning before shooting. It completely recontextualized his performance in that film for me.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Oh, I *believe* it. Though I did not know he still did so on the SW shoot. Thank you for sharing. Yes, sometimes the background truth is utterly transforming in matters of context and perception. :)

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The new context made me realize that, while Tarkin was by all accounts a cruel man, possibly bordering on sadistic, he and Vader must have shared a loneliness that might have contributed to the ease they exhibited around each other. Even the worst villains are still human.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    =D= Thank you for that. That is one thing I continually state no matter what Imperials are still people too. Nice to have it acknowledged.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Most fans, as far as I can tell, take the approach that "the worst villains are still human". I've never seen anyone insisting on this board that "Imperials aren't people".

12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I like that that's the kind of direction The Force Awakens is taking with Finn. Like, one of our three leads is a stormtrooper that defected, it's a brilliant new angle to look at. Rogue One seems to be following a similar path, with "goods guys can be bad, and bad guys can be good." I'm 100% in support of the emotional honesty the new films seem to be pursuing, Saga and Anthology alike.

Speaking of which, there's one moment I've always loved. When he sees Owen and Beru, his face holds sadness, guilt, shock, and acceptance all at once. I don't think that scene or Hamill gets enough credit for how it portrays Luke's emotions; the opposite seems to happen, actually. His stoic mourning, the music, the imagery, the very way the scene is shot, all serve to instill a sense of sadness and loss in the viewer that wouldn't have been achieved if Luke dropped to his knees and started sobbing like many suggest he should have.

13. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Another small detail I love about the OT is the fact that the snakes and lizards of the cave scene in ESB are mostly real.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Actually in my experience, IL that's exactly what most do. They treat Imperials like they're all irredeemably evil and not worth treating as people. If your experience is different, good. Very few here are willing to acknowledge that not everything an Imperial or Sith does is wholly evil even when pointed out. I know, I've done it. Same for admitting the 'good guys' aren't so good.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I must admit I've only been on this forum 2.5 years - but aside from Palpatine, I can't recall any character being called "irredeemably evil" in a novel - and there's a strong pro-Imperial sentiment in the Literature forum.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I wasn't speaking of novels I was speaking of fan reactions I have seen pretty consistently my whole time here.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And what I've seen consistently my whole time here, is a love of the "honourable Imperial" type of character, by a great many fans.

Even with respect to movies - the determination of Daine Jir to speak his mind to Vader in ANH, the bravery and self-sacrifice of Needa in TESB - taking the fall on himself, instead of trying to pass it off on his underlings - these seem to garner great approval from fandom.

"I will assume full responsibility for losing them, and apologise to Lord Vader" - that, for me, is a "Little Moment" of great pathos, in the CT.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm glad your experience has been more positive than mine.

19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Pietts reaction to be promoted. I do not no what that acting term is but he does that gulp thing with his throat that means "oh crap".

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Tropers call it "Loud Gulp" :D

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoudGulp

21. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    The Cantina scene in ANH has tons of little details. For some reason, I love the second tune the cantina band play at 2:48.

22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It's a small detail, but I love it: the OT lightsaber blades....

Love how they pulse, like they're alive with the Force, and how they glow, but don't give off light. The giving off light thing was something I really disliked about PT lightsabers. I liked that they didn't give off light because it made their technology seem all the more alien and cool. As if lightsabers were made of a technology that couldn't be created on Earth.

23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It occurred to me a few months ago that the plan Boba Fett and Darth Vader had to capture the Rebels was to have Lando invite them to a fake dinner party, and I honestly love that so much. "We would be honored... if you would join us." You know Darth Vader had that ready, he and Fett were probably bouncing one-liners off each other while waiting, trying to figure out what would be the coolest thing to say.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The music right when Palpatine launches his Force Lightning.

25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    The shot of Leia as they close the base doors on Hoth:

[​IMG]