main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Jo's Art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Jo B1 Kenobi, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    Hi,

I've only been on the Jedi Forums for a little while and I've just found your Fan Art section. I love to draw! Here are some of my attempts at Star Wars artwork... (I hope I've got the link code correct - if not please let me know and I'll sort it out.)

I have an art site here: Jo Fox Adventures In Art and a Deviant Art page here: Deviant Art Page

These are some of my earliest tries at drawing stuff from Star Wars. I started mainly using pencil and then went on to finishing work in ink.
    This is a pencil drawing of a Geonosian Warrior..

[​IMG]

This is an ink drawing of the immortal Admiral Ackbar - "It's a trap!"

[​IMG]

This is an Ithorian in ink again...

[​IMG]

Here is Starkiller from "The Force Unleashed" game...

[​IMG]

This is a battle droid - 'Roger roger'...

[​IMG]

This is Darth Maul - after his rather unlikely rebirth...

[​IMG]

Here's Luminara Unduli using the force...

[​IMG]

And here is another droid I saw in a Star Wars comic. I think this dude is really cool...

[​IMG]

I drew the above from a variety of Star Wars books and comics (I am a massive comic fan). Once I got the hang of sketching and inks I started trying to colour my art. I was using Photoshop 6 at the time so it was quite difficult. (I've recently bought Manga Studio and it's been a revelation!!!)

This is supposed to be industrial Nar Shaddaa with a ship coming in to land. It is one of teh first images I ever created electronically from scratch, rather than scanning a sketch into the PC.

[​IMG]

This is my first attempt at colouring my sketch of Starkiller...

[​IMG]

I have done other kinds of art but the rest of it isn't Star Wars (which I always think is a shame!).

Here's some contemporary abstract acrylics. This is the type of art I first started working on. They're quite small because they're taken from photos of the paintings I did long while ago before I got a good camera..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some later attempts at purely digital art...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ho hum - that's about it. Hope you liked them and that I've followed the rules of this part of the JC Forums properly. :)

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Hi Joanne2108! Welcome to this artistic side of the boards :)

I really enjoy your sketches and your digital art is developing nicely. You are welcome to show some of your non Star Wars works too and that gekko is quite cute. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Also, you've done the mark ups codes for the images just fine. ;)

Joanne2108 likes this.
  3. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Many thanks!:D

4. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    These are great! You have a good sense of how things work and how things are put together. :)

Joanne2108 likes this.
  5. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Thank-you - that's very kind. It's all a bit of a learning curve. My aim is to learn to draw, ink and colour and then write my own Star Wars comic!!! I would just LOVE to do that one day.

I am slowly looking through the other artists here - it's so good to see other people also into drawing/painting Star Wars (and drawing/painting generally).

PS: I can see you're on Deviant Art - me too!!!! I'm here: My Deviant Art I'm going to look you up!! :)

Antlers and Flapjack4 like this.
  6. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    Yes, we have quite a fun little community here. I'll certainly check out your DA - I'm not on there very much, since I've been trying to limit my internet time. :)

7. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    [quote="Antlers, post: 52169274, member: 1374598"- I'm not on there very much, since I've been trying to limit my internet time. :)[/quote]
    That sounds like a good plan. :)

Here's my latest effort with Manga Studio 5. I only got this digital art software this Christmas and I am really loving it. It is so easy compared with Photoshop (the package I used to use). I'm still only just discovering some of the tools it's got. (Haven't had a great deal of time to work on it recently as I had a heart op in December and I'm still having one or two probs with that (nothing horribly serious).

This time I found this tool which makes your lines look cool. I think it's just about the best thing I've ever seen! I had so much fun doing this. It's only a sketch but in total it still took about 2 hours. Hopefully I'll get faster as I get to know the package a bit better. I'm thinking of creating a set of art cards of the Star Wars Rebels in this black and white comic style. It might be good fun. Anyway, enough wittering on, here's the picture...

[​IMG]

8. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    I've kind of begun a new adventure in the last few days. Somewhere on the JC Forums someone showed some really lovely comic art from a Tumblr site called 'PileofSith'. I really liked it but to give a 'like' to the author I had to register with Tumblr. Then I realised I could make a Tumblr blog about my quest to create my own comic-book arc (preferably a SW fan comic) so that's what I've done. It's something I'm really enjoying because, as well as learning my craft and working towards this comic-book idea I can also get access to loads of brilliant SW art by other artists. For me, looking at other people's work, especially when it's really inspiring, it as helpful in becoming the artist I one day want to be as working on my technical skills and practicing drawing. It kind of teaches me to see in a new way.

Anyway, here's my blog...(it's called 'The Journey of Jedi Jo')
    "http://thejourneyofjedijo.tumblr.com/"

9. Antlers

Oct 30, 2012
    You know, you must have a weird Tumblr theme, because I can't find a "Follow" button anywhere!

10. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Goodness! Thanks for letting me know. I have been messing about with the HTML in one of the standard themes. Could you possibly let me know if it's there now? (Should be top right.) :D

11. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Hi All,

Here are some more pictures I've been making...

These three follow on my Sabine Sketch Card. Eventually I want to make a completel set. After these three, Hera and Chopper will be next. Then I'll start on the bad guys! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having been thinking in one the the JC forum threads about how I would like to see the Jedi Order post ROTJ and deciding that, for me, to have them as a wandering band of monks like Master Zao would be great I decided to have a go at drawing Zao. He's not got the most beautiful face in the universe, even if his soup is good!
    [​IMG]

Finally, not on a star wars theme, I have also been exploring head canon ideas in the Harry Potter universe. I've always loved the two teachers, Prof. Sprout (Herbology) and Prof. Grubbly-Plank (Care of Magical Creatures - supply teacher). I love their straight-forward, no nonsense approaches to things. In my head I always imagined that these two were great friends, even lifetime friends. This is a sketch of them saying hello again after being apart for a long time. It's called 'Old Friends'

[​IMG]

12. Dark Luke

Dark Luke Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2014
    Excellent stuff here!

13. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks - that's very kind of you. :) I'm kind of hooked on drawing. One day I want to make my own comic book arc but I've got quite a bit to learn first. I'm working on my sketching skills mainly at the moment.

Dark Luke likes this.
  14. Dark Luke

Dark Luke Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2014

You're welcome. I can only appreciate it this kind of skill (I can't draw to save my life!) and I love comics!

Joanne2108 likes this.
  15. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Me too - my favourite form of art and my favourite way to read a story.

Dark Luke likes this.
  16. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    OK - here's Hera...

[​IMG]

17. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    Yay for Starkiller, you drew him perfectly!

18. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Many thanks! I love his story - he's one of my personal heroes. The design artwork for the game was phenominal.

19. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    Yeah, it was, it's rare to see him drawn so well as you did here.

Joanne2108 likes this.
  20. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks - that's really kind of you.
    :D

21. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    For any Harry Potter fans... here's Daniel Radcliffe as 'The Boy Who Lived'

[​IMG]

(Oh, btw, I've changed over from Tumblr to Wordpress for mt art site. Apparently, because of the extensive reblogging on Tumblr once you've put images up there, I read that you kind of lose your copyright control because of the wide dissemination of the work. So now my art adventures can be found at: Jo Fox Adventures In Art

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  22. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Well done with the sketch cards. The series is progressing well :) Also nice to see some of your Harry Potter pieces too.

That is a shame about Tumblr. How are you finding Wordpress so far?

23. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks. I think wordpress is better in some ways and worse in others. Certainly it has a more professional finish but it also feels much more restrictive. I'm not able to edit the web pages directly (the html or the css) without paying them £85 a year which seems a bit steep for a hobby site. Plus there seems to be a less vibrant community on Wordpress compared to Tumblr. Overall I think it's a good place for my site at the moment as I'm working on extending my art skills but eventually I will transition to my own website. I've registered the jofoxadventuresinart.co.uk domain name with nominet and I think I'll host the site with a less expensive provider and then keep the wordpress one open in 'free mode' to point to my actual site. Do you have any experience with either Tumblr or Wordpress?

I've kind of decided to try to start my art business again, part time, in September if my health is good enough. As well as the autism I also have a severe chronic pain condition which has ruined my ability to work as a teacher (I used to teach special needs children full time.) I can't do social things naturally because of the autism - but I used to manage by using rules all the time to work out what to do and say. Now though, the pain medication, and the pain itself, gets in the way of me being able to think fast enough to do this any more which make my autism more pronounced and means teaching becomes impossible. So I need another option. While my son was very young and I was at home I ran a part-time art business painting and selling and contemporary acrylics online. It wasn't brilliant but it did make some basic money. I want to try to extend that and perhaps include some contracted digital art or design work (I've had some experience in CD and book cover design previously but that was all done through word of mouth). Even if I'm not able to make a great deal of money I think it will be really positive to be actively doing something as the tendancy to crawl into a hole and give up can be quite high with chronic pain sometimes so keeping a positive attitude is really important.

PS: I've decided to make a new Tumblr site which is dedicated to the fandoms I love: Star Wars, Harry Potter and Dune, but mainly Star Wars. So much is happening in the Star Wars universe at the moment - I feel so excited about it - I just want a place to continuously say Yaayyyyy!!!!!! :D

24. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jul 3, 2014
    I've not done any Star Wars art for a while now - I've been concentrating on ink, acrylics and watercolour recently. Here's some of what I've been up to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next one is a star wars comic strip - to those of you with a more mature sense of humour, I can only apologise!

[​IMG]

25. Illuminated

Illuminated Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    GORGEOUS!!!!

Oh I love the Darth Maul sketch! hahahah [face_rofl]

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.