main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit William Shakespeare's Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Mar 19, 2013.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Bring on Shakespeare's Star Wars The Clone Wars!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wherefore, doth anyone give concern to what the knave thinketh?

Aye, no.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Alas poor Vader I knew him well

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Once more, dear friends, unto the trench! [face_laugh]

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

All I know is that if they don't refer to Boss Nass as a "dread sovereign" and the Grand Army as a "puissant force" somebody's dropped the ball.

6. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I think it's a given we'll be getting William Shakespeare's Star Wars The Force Awaketh

Will there be a "The One Rogue" too?

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I want to see Ahsoka, Rex, and Anakin TCW banter in Shakespeare.

Or better yet, Ventress & Obi.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh please oh please oh please...

9. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    "Ventress when didst thou reject the dark?"
    "Lookst like the villain has rescued the hero"
    "Such a divine sight to wake one from slumber"
    "Dare not flatter me Kenobi thou are not one with a face worthy of sculpting now you're face resembles the meal of a womp rat"

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just finished Verily, A New Hope.

Best Shakespearean line transfers:

"What light through yonder flashing sensor breaks?"

"Friends, rebels, starfighters, lend me your ears." (That entire speech was great.)

The droids speaking in iambic pentameter was the funniest but Han came pretty close.

"Your Worship, prithee let me be direct: I have one a Lord and Master: 'tis myself, And only from that one I take commands."

"Whence hast thou this old bag of bones uncover'd?"

"My simple, merry tricks are all my gods, And nonsense is the only testament. I worship at the shrine of my own will."

I was reading the epilogue in which Doescher talked about Campbell being inspired by Shakespeare and Lucas being inspired by Campbell and therefore putting the Star Wars stories into Shakespeare plays seemed like a natural progression. I knew it wasn't just straightforward parody with how serious some of the monologues got but regardless...funny parts were funny, serious parts worked too.

On to The Empire Striketh Back.

Sarge and Cynical_Ben like this.
  11. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    One problem that I've been having when reading these though...how do you speak Shakespeare? I haven't read or learned enough in school to get a handle on the meter.

12. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    You should read it however you like it. Many people believe that it was performed in a natural meter, but we don't know for sure. Many of the interesting turns of phrase and gags are based on, and because of, the meter...but they make the meaning hard to follow sometimes.

So, reading in the meter is more poetic and often more fun, butvreading it naturally is easier to follow and more dramatic.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    After rereading these - I'm definitely keen on seeing the upcoming Episode I book.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm skipping to the courtly love scenes.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm waiting for Padme to tell Anakin that he kisses by the book.

Revanfan1 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's almost all just iambic pentameter, which you should be able to achieve just by reading with natural stress. Modern intonation hasn't changed that much -- we might miss some here and there but it's no biggie. Most of us aren't Elizabethan scholars.

Just read it like you normally would (keep an eye out for elision, that's the only metrical trick you need to really look out for). If you've got an ear for prosody, you'll hear it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The AT-AT's navel-gazing is hilarious.

Sarge likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Necro because I'm reading this now and could not find the thread yesterday because the search function crapped out.

I'm at the end of the Hoth scenes, and damn, the AT-ATs soliloquies about their purpose in life was hilarious. I did not expect Shakespearean Star Wars to go that far.

Really looking forward to Yoda.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    In case anyone missed this:
    Ian McDiarmid reads Return of the Jedi Shakespear…:

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got TPM coming from Amazon US. (UK site didn't have it in stock).

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    (Mods: I did a search and did not find an existing thread but if my searching abilities are lacking, blame middle age and please merge this one. Thanks)

Anyone read this yet? I thoroughly enjoyed the OT versions and have just started this one. Really interested in the use of "Rumor", I didn't see that in any of the other versions. The Willy Shakes take on the opening crawl is always good.

I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to the most, Shakespearean Jar-Jar or Shakespearean Lil Ani.

Vthuil and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I forgot this was out! How's it compare to the OT ones?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So far, Qui-Gon has talked about death and taxes and asked Obi-Wan, "Wherefore art thou tense?"

And an illustration of Nute Gunray in a ruff and a hat with a feather.

I don't remember "I have a feeling bad about this" from the OT versions but maybe I missed it.

I'm going with "as entertaining or more so".

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Fie, I say. Milking it they are. Tis' a licence to print money!

25. operative_lm

operative_lm Jedi Master

Jun 11, 2005
    It took exactly three things for me to love this book:

• Gunray telling the battle droids that the Jedi have to be dead because they aren't filled with air like politicians
    • The battle droids replying "Forsooth, forsooth!"
    • Qui-Gon's seventeen-line monologue on bigger fish

Though Jar Jar secretly being intelligent is a plus. :p