main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucas: Force Awakens not about Skywalker grandchildren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    That's really for the best. I'd rather them be ignored in the media than slammed again.

2. Miffy

Miffy Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2015
    You know, the first thing I thought when I read the thread title was:

Lucas: Jar Jar is the key to all of this

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    and he was technically speaking. as for working with the audience as a humorous character it may not have worked. as for being the first all digital photo-realistic character that interacts with real actors, it did work and jar jar is the key to all digital characters that came after. say what you want but the fact that jar jar holds up even though he was created in the late nineties is amazing. this movie came out in summer 1999.

[​IMG]

check out the scorpion king in 2001

[​IMG]

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What about the heir to Luke and Han/Leia? Will the grandchildren be there or not?

5. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Why is a child of Leia *not* of the Skywalker bloodline? That's what I don't understand. When people get upset because they believe Luke won't have a child, do they not understand that Leia's child/children would be Skywalkers as well?

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes we do understand this, but we Luke fans want Luke to have a family legacy, it is not about the Skywalker bloodline in general. ;)

starocean90 likes this.
  7. Miffy

Apr 29, 2015
    Only if you saw the documentary and the context he was talking about, he was alluding to the character itself working, not the technical aspect.
    Quote continues: "...because he's the funniest character we ever had...."

Reason I quoted it is because frankly, Lucas may be a genius when it comes to marketing and running a franchise, but he flat out sucks at writing. Ergo, I wouldn't give anything he says about Disney's plans with the franchise much thought, tbh.

8. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    George is saying "The ST is not about the grandchildren because they aren't using my storyline" yet it still can be but a different story.

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    of course they are Skywalkers by blood but what does Luke not having any kids have to do with Leia's kids also being part of the Skywalker family???:confused:

people who want Luke to have kids just want Luke to have kids no different than the ones that want Solo kids and it's not the same thing either way Solo kids are not descendant from Luke himself, they are just related to him, the relationship would not be the same.:)

nightangel likes this.
  10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    But it's more believable that an established couple like Han and Leia would have kids by now than Luke, and with them having kids, you already have the next generation of Skywalkers. It pretty much writes itself.

And there's no reason why a niece/nephew can't be Luke's family legacy.

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I didn't know SW went on believability.[face_mischief]
    and it's the lazy writing way.[face_devil]

again it would work if Luke wasn't missing for decades but he is so it's hard to believe and anyways a niece/nephew-uncle relationship will never be anywhere near a father-child one.:)

nightangel likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TFA is 30 years later. Luke couldn't have met someone in that time and get together with them?

13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's what I always say, it is believable that he met someone and got kids 30 years later.
    it's like if you last met someone when they were 23 and they were single no kids and when you meet them again 30 years later at the age of 53 and they have children. You won't be like : "OMG, you have kids 30 years ago you didn't have any now you have some."[face_mischief]

nightangel and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    a very good point. =D=:)

starocean90 likes this.
  15. Miffy

Apr 29, 2015
    The big issue with Luke having kids, that the shippers around here seem keen to neglect, is that Luke's character goes through a rather significant change throughout the OT, and at the end of it, it seems rather unlikely that he would enter into a romantic relationship let alone have children.

It's simply a matter of it being much less problematic for the story and relatable for the already established romantic relationship involving a Skywalker to lead to offspring.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly. OR is it just because he wasn't with someone in the OT, that Luke can't be with someone in the ST? We can't have Luke gain a love interest in the NEU! People would have to read material other than the movies to find out who she is!
    People aren't the same from the age of 20 to 25. Add another 25 years and yeah.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's not how I saw Luke even at the end of the OT.:confused:

and it's not problematic, people always forget that the ST is not just for the OT fans a lot of people who would never have watched the OT will watch do you think any of them care about "How I Met Your Mother".[face_devil]

and you talk about relatable yet nothing about the rumors makes Rey being a Solo relatable.[face_mischief]
    one scene with Leia and scenes with Han with neither seeming to know of the relationship before Han bites it.

again if JJ and co want Luke to have kids, he'll have them whether some people think he should or shouldn't, it won't make any difference.:)

nightangel likes this.
  18. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    And as I said some time ago, we already had the 'old and wise uncle' as the mentor, we had the 'brother like' mentor, but we never really had a father as the Jedi mentor. I think this has quite a very interesting dynamic. Will Luke be the wise and calm mentor, or did the years of isolation change him. Has his daughter any resentments against him, like letting her mother die while he was on a mission etc.

Darth_Bertie and starocean90 like this.
  19. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    True, and I think this was considered as well by the creative team of the movie. But I am afraid the drama of having a brother-sister conflict weighted more than having the OT hero as a father-master.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It's not that Luke couldn't have had kids in 30 years, but I think it's a lot more easily explained that Han and Leia would, and if that's the case, the purpose of having the next generation of Skywalkers is fulfilled. So there's no reason to throw in yet another Skywalker kid, or make an off-screen backstory about how Luke met someone.

That's just how I see it of course, we don't know all the details yet.

But I think there's no reason at all why Luke couldn't have a strong relationship with a niece/nephew.

21. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Maybe Luke's kid is born during the ST.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    And this together with his academy destroyed is just a complete failure for Luke. Han/Leia still have something with Rey, who may become a Jedi and even maybe with Kylo, who could still be redeemed. For Luke only the complete failure will be at the end and no family who could continue his lineage. He has not even a new academy in VIII, when he dies there. This will be also the task of the Solo girl. So after being only a story element in VII, he is nothing more in VIII. It is only the trilogy of the Solos, so nothing really for me. [face_sigh]

23. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, that would be like saying Obi-Wan and Yoda failed. Luke destroyed the Sith, so I don´t think Obi-Wan and Yoda failed. If Rey destroys the Sith maybe Luke does not fail either.

24. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    for me especially Obi-Wan failed a lot in everything and especially with Anakin. :rolleyes:

25. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    True, but wasn´t he redeemed by training Luke? I am pretty sure Kylo´s fall will not be Luke´s fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.