main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Haggai

Darth Haggai Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 7, 2014
  2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Interesting, but what happens to R2 in this scenario after arriving at Jakku (he's not with Rey or Han at the start of TFA, but with Leia I think), and why does he lose the saber once on Jakku?

3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Great guess! Would be nice to have a "new Wedge"...a friend of Poe's who's a small part in all the X-wing scenes and survives the ST. I'm still hoping for more Asian characters in the ST, and a female Asian pilot for the Resistance would be awesome.

dekaneas and Darth Haggai like this.
  4. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
    Tbh, i still don't think they are gonna actually show these flashbacks. Probably something along the "before the dark times" and "i fought in the clone wars". Judging by the words of J.J. in his recent interview, we are not gonna hear that much what happened in between RoTJ and TFA.

Bruce Handy: Your movie is taking place 30-something years after Return of the Jedi. Are you going to give it some of that fill-in-blanks quality, in terms of whatever’s happened in the Star Wars galaxy across those decades?
    J.J. Abrams: Well, what’s cool is we’ve obviously had a lot of time [during the development process] to talk about what’s happened outside of the borders of the story that you’re seeing. So there are, of course, references to things, and some are very oblique so that hopefully the audience can infer what the characters are referring to. We used to have more references to things that we pulled out because they almost felt like they were trying too hard to allude to something. I think that the key is—and whether we’ve accomplished that or not is, of course, up to the audience—but the key is that references be essential so that you don’t reference a lot of things that feel like, oh, we’re laying pipe for, you know, an animated series or further movies. It should feel like things are being referenced for a reason.

dekaneas likes this.
  5. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    Not going to show the flashback sequence? You're wrong about that. Most/all of the Making Star Wars rumors came from the call sheets from filming. Many shots were labelled as flashback. They wouldn't label flashback scenes there if they were not going to be captured on film. Also, I bel8eve that the shot in the 2nd teaser of Luke's hand touching R2-D2 is from the flashback sequence.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    We've already seen the shot in the teaser with Luke's hand on R2.

I think there will be some inferring during the flashbacks but the main feeling will be established through short images. The impression I get is that they would have to create a back story that's short enough not to intrude on the current story but visual enough that we don't need a whole new set of prequels that happen between ROTJ and TFA. The flashbacks will serve as an abbreviated version of what the prequels were meant to do for ANH, while leaving some things still a mystery to possibly be explained later.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    So Oscar thinks that Poe might have been born on Yavin IV.

So do we think that Yavin IV will be in the movie, or was Oscar was just revealing some of Poe's backstory?

Yavin IV could be the planet where Maz's pub & castle are located (MSW describes the planet where pub is located as a jungle planet). That's where Rey sees greenery for the first time. Since we (probably) won't be seeing Tatooine, maybe Yavin IV is the callback planet this time around. I know MSW has said that the planet could be called Golan, but Jason wasn't sure if Golan was the name of the city, the castle, or the planet.

8. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    I think he's just messing around. Oscar was born in Guatemala, which is where the they filmed the Yavin Base in Ep IV. Joking that maybe Poe was born on Yavin

Seeher and Disciple of Revan like this.
  9. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    All of that is mentioned in his quote. His exact words:
    There's no "beautiful coincidence" if he's just making a joke. If there wasn't some basis for it in the movie or official backstory he would have said "I like to think that Poe comes from Yavin IV, because that would be a beautiful coincidence." He's referring to facts that exist, not some hypothetical.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    Hmm....I still going to go with joking for now.

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It is except in the comic they always come back. :D

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    After reading more of the VF article, I had the following reactions:

What made me smile: Lucas story sounded too much like TPM since it dealt with "very young leads".
    What made me flinch: The script for TFA was not rounded into shape until the spring of 2014 and even then it got tweaks. JJ and LK were still hammering out everything while production was ongoing.

13. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I believe he meant that some of the sequence could have been cut in the editing process given JJ's statement which is absolutely a possibility.

starocean90 and Darth Haggai like this.
  14. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Do you have a link to the article? If it is just for subscribers I would appreciate you or any other member who has read it to allaborate as much as possible.

Thanks!!

15. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I don't mind the working on the script during production. Things change.... When you start seeing chemistry among actors you might change lines or re-work things for the better.

darthmomm, Seeher and Darth Haggai like this.
  16. Darth Haggai

Darth Haggai Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 7, 2014
    still, those scenes have been filmed, no doubt, but are they in the actual movie?? they are many trailers that have scenes in them that don't make the final cut, i can think of 3 or 4 in the prequels that were not in the movie itself. it is possible that some of those flashback are cut, maybe only a couple now. after watching the rough cut they were like, thats too much exposition.

17. commander cody

commander cody Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2014
    Star Wars shouldn't have flashbacks. IMO. I can easily see JJ bringing them in just to help tell the story, but I personally think in the Star Wars Universe it's a cop out. Follow the model for ANH, Obi wan simply mentions the clone wars. No description or flashbacks. Yes I'm curious where our characters have been for 30 years, but I'd rather overhear and then read about it in books and comics.

crave_24, Darth Haggai, Messi and 2 others like this.
  18. Echo7even

Echo7even Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

This is true IMO. The only thing I haven't liked (that I've read regarding spoilers) is in regards to flashbacks. I won't hate the movies because of them, but, there isn't a need. Ben mentions the clone wars. If the point of the flashbacks is to acknowledge a massacre at a failed academy, then just have a few lines about it. What made SW great in the past is the quest to find out more. Not having it spelled out. This is why many don't like the Prequels. I do like the prequels because I liked seeing the details after the fact. However, there are 30 years to fill in between ROTJ and TFA. Lots of room for another cartoon series or live action TV show or even future movies.

dekaneas likes this.
  19. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    It depends all on execution. I first heard of the flashback rumours last year (when it was rumoured that Billie Lourd would play a young Leia) and was initially against it. I thought it shouldn't be in a Star Wars film. But since then I have warmed up to it. As others have pointed out already, if it's executed well like Severus Snapes' pensieve sequence from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I would be OK with it. I remember when I read that book for the first time back in 2007, the pensieve sequence literally blew me away. A lot of events from the previous Potter novels made sense with the context of the Pensieve sequence and it's still one of my favourite chapters of the HP series. The same could go for TFA. Maybe the flashback will provide us with the necessary context that gives sense to the lightsaber floating and the Jedi academy stuff.

The same goes for the lightsaber floating stuff. It may sound weird, but maybe the opening shot will end up an iconic moment in the SW series (as long as there is no hand attached to it... :D).

Darth Haggai likes this.
  20. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I read the VF article as well. It seems Lucas' stuff was thrown out 95%. Kasdan and JJ say pet ideas from the original story made it in but they came up with the rest. KK was a little more circumspect in saying the changes from Lucas’ ideas were only in the way you would make changes in any movie development process.

JJ recognizes that some people like and prefer the prequels. But he wants this movie to make him feel like he did when he saw star wars at 11. It does go on to say even when George was involved the OT spirit was the model.

JJ also admits that once he was given a clean slate is when he signed on.

Bottom line this is JJ's and Kasdan's movie.

Blazer-Smith and starocean90 like this.
  21. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    Cop out to what exactly? How are they going to tell what happen over the past 30 years during a 2 perhaps 2.5 hour movie? The rational behind this ' no flash backs' movement is borderline Neanderthal in its idiocy.

The argument that its 'Star Wars' and since its our Great and Holy Star Wars, they NEVER did flash backs this means they can never do them! OMG so it cannot evolve? Story telling involves numerous elements, flashbacks are the fastest and easiest way to 'fill in the blanks' during the small window the filmmakers have to tell their tale.

Would you rather what ever happened after RoTJ be explained 25+ years later like the Clone Wars? So we'll be finding out what happened after RoTJ 15 years after EP 9. yeah that makes sense

/boggle

Commenting on the bolded above:

We as rabbid fans are the minority, Di$ney is a for profit company. They have to take into account the layman movie goer that possibly knows about Star Wars but isn't as invested in it as we are. So as Di$ney how are they supposed to fill in these movie goers? Montage! Flashback Moonnntage! ok I just had a World Police moment... but I digress. The Layman movie person isn't going to want to wait for a comic or next film to find out. That's why the flashback needs to be in the film to:
    - a - catch everyone up to what's going on without overloading them with info
    - b - Di$ney hopes that the new or layman fan become bigger fans of their franchise they have to spoon feed these target audience members to get them caught up-if you will.

22. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Yikes.

Who knows what the final product will be like. I hope its good. But if it isn't.........:eek:

23. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy had daily, sometimes HOURLY, dialog changes to the script. Every movie does. It's nothing to panic about.

24. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I don't think dialogue changes are of concern.

Complete storyline and major plot changes is something else.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  25. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    DV75

It said nothing about complete storyline or major plot changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.