main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucas: Force Awakens not about Skywalker grandchildren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Also, the fact that Han Solo is in the spotlight, might be what Lucas is talking about when it comes to focus.

2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Does anything in that VF article suggest Luke and his kid were the focus of Lucas story? Cause based on the old concept arts (2013 ones) a lot of the story seems to remain.

3. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

yeah.

and I don't care if Kylo Ren is related by blood or not but the fallen Jedi thing would be a repeat and I'm still hoping more for the 'radicalised youth' plot I came up earlier. if he was at the Academy when it was attacked and was very young that would be fine but the "initially morally grey guy discovers the force, becomes a Sith fanatic, and uses terror to gain power" is better than "good guy goes bad" again imo.

4. Quatro Dank

Quatro Dank Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2015
    The only interesting part of any grandchild is that regarding Han-Solo and Leia, on their side with Chewie, that connection to Yoda. blablabla, hence, so forth, furthermore, whatever. Which is also, the only interesting story for Star Wars to even go on. Not rambleing on about this, thank you, and enjoy your weekend.

Bye!

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    What the frack are you TALKING about?!

6. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    I always thought the trilogies were about three generations of the Skywalker family.

OT: Luke and Leia.
    PT: Their parents Anakin and Padme.
    ST: Their children.

7. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

[​IMG]

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  8. Quatro Dank

Quatro Dank Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2015
    "What the frack are you TALKING about?!"

Nevermind.

9. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    So... it's not about grandchildren... it's about grown up children (two to be precise)? Got it Lucas, you sly fox.

10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I'm not only NOT upset, I'm pretty grateful, if the latest rumors are true that the third trilogy would have focused on a group of teenagers. George made the right decision to retire, if that's what he had on offer.

11. 100009223693258

100009223693258 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 20, 2015
    No, what's been posted here is all there is on that. (I downloaded the June issue yesterday on my iPad so I have it.)

I'm not sure if this has been put up, but JJ Abrams does say...
    ...so people can make of that what they will.

But no, the only part about what George Lucas wanted to do I assume has been posted already (and here it is if anyone missed it)...
    And the article goes on from there and never brings the subject up again.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  12. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    No, Lucas said it was about grown up children too.

"The children were in their 20s and everything and so it wasn’t Phantom Menace again." - George Lucas on his sequel treatment 4/17/2015
    Just a few weeks before JJ was quoted as saying they were young teens in Vanity Fair.

13. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Find the article that says that KenW .....and show it to us.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I have never seen that quote anywhere before. You know, we're pretty good round here digging up every Lucas quote pertaining to the ST. Especially something as recent as that. Honestly, friend, provide a source to back that up.

Danfromumbrella likes this.
  15. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I think he's adding a few words in it. All I remember is him saying it's about the father, the children, and the grandchildren.

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS SERIES IS ABOUT YOU ANGRY CHAPS.

Krueger likes this.
  16. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, I don't believe Lucas would have said that about TPM.

17. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Just to smear this whole Abrams tossed out the whole general idea of Lucas'.........

George Lucas : "The next series was gonna be about the father, the children, and the grandchildren."

Teaser trailer 2:

" My Father has it ( shows the father), my sister has it , I have it ( shows the children), and you have that power to... ( grandchildren)."
    It's literally the same core idea Lucas put forward. Lets stop acting like it isn't. Unless they're straight up tricking us.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  18. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    If you have been following KK and Ridley's Japan tour. You know the film is still about the Skywalker family.

starocean90 likes this.
  19. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Exactly. Let us be honest, Lucas himself is not a very trustful source when it comes to Star Wars. He changed his mind so often that every quote of him should be taken with a grain of salt. It sounds to me that JJ and LK only changed the age of the legacy characters and maybe the amount of legacies in TFA (it seems to have fewer legacies now), and for GL these changes were enough to say "They don't use my ideas".

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    plus Lucas is a creative consultant on these films but I don't think he has much to do with the creative process? ....

21. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    [Abrams] said Lucas’s treatment had centered on very young characters—teenagers, Lucasfilm told me—which might have struck Disney executives as veering too close for comfort to The Phantom Menace and its 9-year-old Anakin Skywalker and 13-year-old Queen Amidala. “We’ve made some departures” from Lucas’s ideas, Kennedy conceded, but only in “exactly the way you would in any development process.”

I really do not get this. This tells us nothing about Lucas's story ideas for the ST aside form the approximate age of the characters. Also, Rey and Finn are not all that old. Rey looks like she could be 17 or 18.

I also find it amusing that Disney executives are skeptical of TPM when it made over 1 billion in world wide gross. I am not saying that TFA should be like TPM, but the reports of the masses hating the Prequels are greatly exaggerated.

KenW likes this.
  22. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    The slights towards the PT and TPM in particular stem from the author of the article from that website. Not Disney or the Vanity Fair article itself. At least I think that’s the case.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Is that quote from the Vanity Fair Article ?

24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I've got the impression that Lucas is not involved in the creative process since the rewrite. According to the article, he lets JJ and KK do their own thing because he wants to be surprised like a normal movie goer when he sits in the theater in December.

KenW likes this.
  25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It will be interesting if we ever get the true story.

I don't think it's at all a stretch to suggest that Lucas' story was about the legacy of the father as both Vader and Anakin, Luke and Leia and their children.

Almost certainly there would be some new version of the Empire and Alliance, the Force and the Dark Side, the Jedi and the Sith and all the story progressions one can see extend from Episodes I-VI.

It's not like they decided to not use Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca and the droids or the Empire and it's Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, TIE fighters and the like or the Alliance and the X-Wings etc.

We already see all of these things. A young heroine from a sand planet going on a hero's journey. Sounds familiar. Is she also the grand-daughter? Maybe, maybe not. Is Kylo Ren the grandson? Maybe, maybe not.

Are there any other grand-chidlren or rather by the time of TFA were there any other? Maybe, maybe not.

We're seemingly not getting a movie that is going to be taking any bold new directions at first. Lucas knows how the process works and so anything can happen. He didn't just hand over some paper but talked to KK, JJ and Kasdan about it and gave his thoughts. It'd be bizarre to suggest that these didn't play into their decisions.

The whole thing is very Lucas though and this time KK and JJ seem to be playing along. I almost wonder if it's some sort of ruse. Lucas doesn't know what they are doing and he doesn't want to know and so they don't tell him and so on...

Also you have to remember the writer is placing a huge spin on the whole thing in this aspect:

He said Lucas's treatments had centered on very young characters -- teenagers, Lucasfilm told me -- which might have struck Disney executives as veering too close for comfort to The Phantom Menace and it's 9-year-old Anakin and 14-year-old Queen Amidala

Which in itself is the usual ignorant statement of a lazy writer who has no idea whatsoever how successful TPM is. It seems this person doesn't even know Luke and Leia were teenagers. Actually wasn't Leia actually supposed to be 16 in ANH before her age was raised to match Luke's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.