main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is wrong with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by uperduper, May 9, 2015.

1. uperduper

uperduper Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2015
    Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw doesn't bother me

What bothers me is his evil smile

he looks like he is already planning to kill them again

Lucas should have told Hayden to emulate Sebastian Shaw warm smile

2. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Lucas took some random Hayden footage from ROTS filming and stuck it on Shaw's body. Hayden didn't even know about it until after the fact. He half-assed it, like so many of his changes.

3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't want to be reminded of Inferior movies when I watch ROTJ. Problem?

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    My issue is that it completely disturbs the flow of the film.

5. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    How so Cushy? I prefer shaw as well but why does it disturb the flow of the film?

Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Because Anakin being the only one deaged makes no sense. It's clearly only a forced PT link and it falls flat. Anakin is not a 'handsome 23' when he dies.

7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    This, plus people had no problems with Sebastian Shaw as Anakin's spirit (like me).

8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Force Ghost Facelifts are all the rage in the Netherworld of the Force.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There's nothing wrong with it. It makes logical sense that his soul hasn't aged, since he was disconnected from it during those dark years. He quite literally did sell his soul to the devil.

As for the smile: It's a roguish smile. That's just Anakin's personality shining through.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    From the ROTJ novel:

It was a face that had not seen itself in twenty years.
    Vader saw his son crying, and knew it must have been at the horror of the face the boy beheld.
    It intensified, momentarily, Vader's own sense of anguish - to his crimes, now, he added guilt at the imagined repugnance of his appearance. But then this brought him to mind of the way he used to look - striking, and grand, with a wry tilt to his brow that hinted of invincibility and took in all of life with a wink. Yes, that was how he'd looked once.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  12. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Unlike those of us who grew up with the OT when they were originally made, in the future people will just watch the movies in numbered order from `1 - 6 and will be imagining Hayden beneath the Vader mask the whole time that they are watching ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, so having Hayden in that force ghost shot at the end makes for a better payoff and happier ending to Anakin's story arc.

13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I must admit that when I first watched ROTJ, I had no idea who the ghost was meant to be.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    My little sister, who has watched the movies exactly in the order 1-6, hates Anakin's guts and definitely doesn't want to see him in ROTJ.

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Hopefully, she's going through a phase ;)

To me, seeing Hayden in that context feels emotionally right. It's like seeing a long lost friend. Finally, he's Anakin again! That gives me a great sense of closure.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not exactly. The phase when she read Obi-Wan fanfictions and actually watched the prequels is already over.

17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Only time will tell. Things change, people find new interests... Sometimes, we return to old ones with an all new perspective.
    I'm not saying that she'll grow to like Anakin, just "Never say never". If she doesn't, though, that's fine. We can't all agree! :)

18. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Didn't bother me one bit.

19. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Everything.

20. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    For me it's not wrong. Young Anakin as ghost in the end represents his good soul when he was still a Jedi.

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm torn about Hayden replacing Shaw in ROTJ. It doesn't make much sense, GL would say "it's because how he last looked when he was a true Jedi," or something, but the ending of ROTJ is all about how Anakin was always there underneath Vader's armour. As much as he fell to the darkside, deep down... he was always a Jedi and there was always some good in him. So that point is moot.

Plus it's an insult to Shaw to take away really, one of his only appearances in the movie.

But, I do like it because Hayden is good looking, and I always thought Shaw was Uncle Owen when I was a kid. But that's about it. It looks cheesy and so overly CGI it's sickening. I never thought he was smiling evily though, I kinda of felt it's supposed to be a proud smile of Luke and a smile of one at peace, and Hayden just fell kinda short.

22. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Yeah it's wrong because...
    -It is disrespectful to Sebastian Shaw
    -It looks terribly cropped
    -It shows Anakin how he looked when he was wiping out Jedi
    -It makes the whole force ghost appearance concept multiple-choice

I just don't know why Lucas thought it was necessary. I do not want to be reminded of Anakin from the prequels.

23. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    What is wrong with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi?

The simpler question is - What is RIGHT with Hayden as Anakin in the end scene of Return of the Jedi? Answer - nothing

24. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Mostly because it was disrepectful to Shaw.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It makes more sense for Luke to be viewing his father looking fatherly, not at his own age.

Lucas seemed to be going for the whole symbolism/rhyming poetry or whatever scenario than a scene that made sense in universe.