main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Witcher Series (PC RPG of the Forever)

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Nov 21, 2010.

1. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Yea i know :( But still, atleast i know they are in the making. :)

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Welp, with just under 48 hours to go until Witcher III, here's what we know: The reviews are saying it's really good, perhaps even great, but its status as an open world game is subject to debate as apparently the focus is on fast traveling between very large sandboxes rather than a seamless, connected environment. I've seen the GERMZ JERNALISTS breaking either way on the classification scheme, but I doubt franchise fans are going to be put off. Maybe neophytes who were looking for a new Skyrim are going to be disappointed. If you played the previous games, there's a KOTORII-style opening question/answer sequence that lets you explain what happened, so if you're like me and hopelessly devoted to Team Iorveth, you won't have to put up with any of Roche's BS no matter what system you play on. As for the endgame/postgame content, Destructoid's review has confirmed that while some sidequests are locked off by the endgame sequence, you are nevertheless able to freely explore and complete the other quests following the endgame. What exactly this means with respect to Geralt's final fate is anyone's guess.

Also there's a Day One patch, but it's 2015, there was always going to be a Day One patch. What's interesting is they already had it ready to roll in time for review copies, so that's a hell of a turnaround by CDPR. Not that I expect much less.

I'm hype, is what I'm getting at. I'm hype and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into this.

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I played Witcher 2 and turned it off after 2 minutes. Should I get the 3rd game?

4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Personally I find these games overrated. 2 was ok, but 3 doesn't look that inspiring. The only thing they're selling is the open world, which isn't even that open. Can't wait for the hype to die down.... Sick of seeing every site push this game like the second coming. Star Wars Infinity/Battlefront are the only games I'm looking forward to.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So you turned it off before you even got to combat? Probably not, there's also a lot of talking in this one, I'm afraid.

This is irony.txt if I ever read it. Sorry you aren't interested in the game, if it makes you feel better I couldn't care less about Battlefront.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Over here, Game has declared war on Amazon by offering PS4 + Witcher 3 - £299.

Very, very tempting.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, the PS4 copy comes with a map and stickers, so that's 100% worth it IMO. :p

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Amazon have since launched a counter-offer to Game's offensive!

All hail the free market bloodbath!

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So apparently there's a relatively complex CCG in here just because of course there is. Why wouldn't there be? The law of large games with horses demands that I never finish the plot because I'm hung up on playing minigames. Beats the hell out of dice poker, though, that was some rigged garbage.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That almost sounds like Final Fantasy and the major mini-games in those to me, the Triple Triad card game in VIII and blitzball in X.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, it's a pretty neat little game. Haven't had a huge opportunity to play it as I wanted to bum rush the game into opening up, hence grinded side quests to approach the first big hunt, but it's yet another fun thing to do in the midst of a sea of fun things to do.

What took me aback was how slightly difficult the Witcher 2 plot questions for the save file simulation were. Had to go dig out my old save file and peruse my journal to figure out how I needed to answer - this is the real peril of playing this game on a console, right here.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't know, I have never played anything that continued from the previous game in that manner.

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    So I never buy $60 games anymore and wait a year or two for price drops but as soon as I saw that not only does it come with a beautiful slipcover but a thank you note, soundtrack, and map I bought it for PS4 immediately. I love CD Projekt Red and that give a good reason to keep supporting them (as in don't buy from Steam use GOG! It's better!). I just hope I can get around to playing it soon!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a legit soundtrack, too, not like those Atlus bundle-ins with some highlights. I've always been a big fan of CDPR's appreciation for their customers and it's cool to see them extend that attitude to their relatively new console audience.

Edit: Also, it seems the first of the free DLC packs have finally hit PSN. Sweet, sweet jokes about Bethesda horse armor and hair packs.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I was really surprised at how big the collector's edition box is and it's so big because the statue is huge. Easily the biggest I've ever gotten in a collector's edition. I could go on about how amazing the contents of the box are, but I really do think it's excellent value for money. Even the regular edition is great value too. I haven't played it yet as it's still installing, but I can't wait.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Never played this series but this new game has won numerous 10/10 reviews. I now want it, but I'll probably wait for a price drop.

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm playing on the second difficulty level so it's not too hard but it is a bit challenging as I'm not that good. I think the WItcher universe is a fantastic one and if you get the chance to read the books then you should.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The ads on my Xbox One dashboard along with the consistently superb reviews convinced me to go ahead and trade in a bunch of games for this. I'm excited.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Just opened the case and was treated to a nice thank you letter from the dev team...and a game manual!

I don't think I've seen a game manual at all in the past decade!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014

Hell yeah. Love a physical copy of a game's map with an RPG.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The map is nice. Not sure what to do with the stickers though. I guess I could give them to the kids :p

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Uh, they clearly belong on your kickin' rad Geralt of Rivia Trapper Keeper, dawg.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So I started the game, looked at the clock, and somehow four hours had gone by. Ouch.

Anyway, first impressions:
    -Great atmosphere, enhanced by excellent visuals and music
    -Voice acting is great, though I kind of find the main protagonist's tough guy voice to get old real quick
    -Though I expect many references to previous games are going over my head, I don't really feel so left out of the game for being a newcomer
    -Elaborate inventory and crafting options can sometimes intimidate me, so I've only gave these menus the briefest of looks so far

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    From what I've seen with respect to the old games, they take it pretty easy on you unless you're simulating a save or importing, and even then it takes a while to get to the information.

As for crafting - yeah, it's intimidating, but unlike a lot of games it's pretty essential if you want to be able to take on some of the high level challenges. Alchemy in particular is a must so that you have appropriate potions and oils.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    What effect does simulating a save have?