main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT All things about Jake Lloyd (Consolidated Thread)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 6, 2012.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Maybe Jake didn't like being replaced by Hayden Christensen

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'd bet that Jake was at the very least relieved to be replaced by Hayden, if not overjoyed.

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    One of my favourite moments is the scene where he learns a) that he has been freed, and b) that his mother hasn't and he must leave her behind. There's a poignant moment where he hangs his head in shame/sorrow/anger/disappointment, sulkily distanced from the effervescence he had just displayed up to that point, with a hint of anguish beyond his years, as if he knew this moment would be upon him and he'd always be forced to make this choice. It's a powerful display of acting because I believe this kid carries a sense of gloom beyond his light exterior that is scarring to his dreams and visions.

When the exterior is broken and a manifestation of his worldly sadness is glimpsed, it's infinitely touching. For a moment, Anakin puts himself beyond counselling, beyond reason: seeds of Vader (Anakin = anarchy = agony). In Frank Herbert's "Dune", such children, born with a deeper awareness than their present life, if you like, are literally called an Abomination, essentially becoming "pre-born", overloaded with ancestral memories that are seen to be corrupting of their soul. There's a hint of this with Anakin and his mysterious conception: for all the light, there is something dark and unspeakably horrific there as well.

Interestingly, "Dune" also confers the term "Other Memory", where a Reverend Mother (powerful ecclesiastics -- somewhat like Jedi Masters) can access their entire female lineage, but their male lineage is totally totally cut-off. Leia shows a similar power in ROTJ, recalling the mother where Luke cannot, while she seems mute to the notion that Darth Vader is her father (and Vader is all that Luke can think about). These parallels shade the Star Wars saga immensely, in my view. I guess I read into small moments particular significance that others cannot. I feel this helps me appreciate the story and all its components in a deeper way. But to each, their own.

4. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    If you read about the lives of athletes and actors and such, it seems that fame is definitely a double-edged sword. There are some things about it that can be wonderful, and some things about it that can be a trial - depending on your situation and your personality to begin with. And I doubt most of us "non-celebrity" types can imagine the downsides quite as easily as we can imagine the upsides. Something as simple as almost never being able to have a meal out, uninterrupted, can probably get old, fast. Although again - on the other side - if the fan reaction is mostly positive, having people come up to you for the rest of your life telling you how much they enjoyed X, Y, or Z, must be nice. So a very mixed bag, I am sure ... and especially for someone as young as Jake Lloyd was at the time.

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    The difference between JL/other child actors/actresses & actors/actresses who are acting as adults is obvious:

Who will recognize these child actors when they're adults, unless they've continued acting? Granted, when I saw a picture of JL at one of the SW celebrations last year, I recognized him since the picture caption identified him - but, I probably wouldn't have been able to recognize him in a crowd. So, though this may have been a problem when he was younger, I just don't think that he has people mobbing him or knowing who he is when he goes out in public these days. IIRC he was 9 back in '99, so now he's 22-23. I just don't see the general public recognizing him as little Anakin & giving him grief because of this - though, I could be wrong....

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What's Jake Lloyd doing nowadays?

7. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    What I get from the video, is that Star Wars itself didn't make Jake Lloyd's life a living hell; it was fans who kept badgering him about how he " ruined Star Wars" and kept making fun of his acting in the movie...

8. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    From the dead....ironically because I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Jake's work in the TPM. I'll give him a 95%. He should be very proud of whatever was given to him. Looking back, GL made it work and Jake has a big part in this mix. Regardless what he had gone through by the public. Glad he's managed to keep a brave face now and I wish him the best. Good guy. Thanks Jake. Maybe because I havea son (20 now) and I remember him as child like Jake. I would be very proud of him if he had that chance to be in SW and did as well as Jake.

MJ

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Haley Joel Osment would have been a much better choice for the role

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have heard that claim before and I don't share it. I don't think Haley can act much either.

As to Jake's reactions, I find them completely understandable and I'm glad he's chosen to walk away. I hope he finds peace through other avenues.

11. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Well, I don't think GL was looking for that type of serious method acting. It had to be less foreboding and being that the Sixth Sense was the same time frame, HJO was out of the question at that point in time.

MJ

12. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I liked his performance. I bet he likes the money he got from the movie and the people wanting to interview him.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It was Lucas' fault, period.

Messi likes this.
  14. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

It's not any one person's fault.

Yes, some of the fault may lie with Lucas, but also Lloyd's parents/guardians. They all should have all known he was too young for such pressures and the fandom.

Thirdly, the fault lies with the fandom, the bullies themselves. Yes, people didn't like his acting, Anakin being so young, etc, but that is no excuse to bully a child.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh, what? In the article in the OP, he doesn't mention the fandom at all.

He mentions the 60 interviews a day he had to do.

He mentioned the other kids at his school. In a video interview, "High school wouldn't let it go. You know high school kids. College...has been similar."

He said he learned to hate it when cameras are pointed at him.

I think it was the people on the set that came up with the name Mannequin.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Lucas directed him. Hence the blame.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Lucas isn't the only contributing factor.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    No. But he's more to blame than some nine year old.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

No one's "to blame." It was just a movie.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay, Dr. Phil.

21. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    i saw this kid at dragon con a few years ago and my daughter who was about 8 at the time really wanted a picture with him. He signed her photo but would not to a quick pic even when i was willing to pay. I am guessing he didn't want to take one for her cause maybe others would ask (but he didn't have a line of people) and here was a little 8 year old fan with a broke leg who just paid $35 for his autogrpah, why couldnt he just take 5seconds and do a picture with her

markdeez likes this.
  22. DeanVantis

DeanVantis Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 30, 2015
    Some American child actors cannot bring out their best perfomances in films, but girls can. English-born actors however are the complete opposite. [face_plain]

23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, especially as a featured guest at a Con event where he is requiring people to pay for his autograph, that's pretty bad form. It's not like you randomly saw him on the street and bum rushed him to get a picture.

At this point in his life If he is still this angsty about it, he oughta get in touch with some of the OT actors who can maybe talk him into lightening up a little and accepting and embracing his circumstances, to play off any heat he gets (or got) from his peers or the fandom in general, and to just have fun with it. Because it's not going to go away, his fame can't be undone, its not like he can just move to another town and leave his old life behind, especially with a fandom as dedicated as Star Wars fans are. I'm not saying he can't have his resentments and regrets, but at some point you have to learn to just live with it, move on, laugh at it, and enjoy yourself the best you can. I mean if he doesn't get over it he is looking at a lifetime of difficulty in trying to constantly avoid what he is most well known for.

I bet if he did a panel at a SWC it would be very well attended, he could crack jokes about himself, his experience, and towards other fans that would be funny, light hearted, and well received, and overall just lighten the tension that he has given off as he's gotten older. Could even be titled as a blatant reference to some of the issues he has faced since being in Ep 1, "From Tattooine to Hell" or something like that. Didn't Carrie Fisher write a book with a similar theme about her struggles since being in Star Wars, or something like that? Not suggesting he owes the fans anything either, I just think it would be a good thing to do for himself.

24. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    The guy shouldn't have been bullied for the mess of TPM. It would take a brilliant actor to make anything out of the dialogue and direction. At the end of the day its a movie and people being let down by it is one thing, but outright rage, bullying and hate over a movie is absurd. You can critique a performance or the direction or anything about the movie without being a total jerk. I'm no fan of the prequels but no point going on and on complaining about it. I just watch the scenes I like at this point and bypass the rest.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think the public should feel so darned 'entitled' with the way they treat and regard performers. Yes, it can hurt to be denied a once in a life time opportunity (been there Brent Spiner refused to let me shake his hand at a Con in CA) but it's hardly the end of the world. Be nice if fans considered *them* first sometimes rather than focusing on 'me, me, me!' Empathy goes a long way, people.

Stopmotionkai and DARTHLINK like this.